IGNORED

Megan Phelps-Roper

crawfishgirl

CNN did an interview with Megan Phelps-Roper who left the Westboro Baptist Church.  I found it interesting.  She met her husband when she was still in the cult.  He was nicely arguing with her on twitter, and some of his arguments made her rethink her church's beliefs.  She is still basically shunned from her family.

All they do is give out hatred.  I don't know how that church is able to continue, even with only family members in it.  I feel sorry for the brainwashed children.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/03/16/westboro-baptist-church-reality-check-orig-jg.cnn

• Thank You 5

Her Ted talk is also really good. It changed the way I handle conversations with people I disagree with politically or religiously. Kindness and understanding goes a much longer way that snark and condescension. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10

I once read an interview with Megan and being surprised that she and the other WBC kids attended public school; I would have thought that they had their own school on the compound.  She said something along the lines of “We were told that as long as we had the Gospel, nothing could hurt us.”

Edited by smittykins

18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I once read an interview with Megan and being surprised that she and the other WBC kids attended public school; I would have thought that they had their own school on the compound.  She said something along the lines of “We were told that as long as we had the Gospel, nothing could hurt us.”

I believe they were outcasts at school. They never had any friends. Because everyone knew who their family was. Which I think them made the Phelps kids extremely defensive. And as you know, when a Phelps is defensive they say really mean things like they are sinner or call names. So there was never any way they could make friends at school. 

• Upvote 1

I think Fred Phelps thrived on attracting controversy (ok, obvously) by sending his children out to be hate mongers, but also to set them up to be " persecuted" by the world for what ever sick pleasure that gave them. 

• Upvote 2

What’s sad is that if my kids went to school with the Phelps kids, I would be afraid of the horrible things they might say to my kids, and I would probably want them to stay away. I am normally on my kids about being inclusive with all the kids in their class. I don’t want them to exclude kids. But I would be so uneasy about my kids socializing with Phelps kids. We are not Christians and don’t hide it. I would be afraid those kids would constantly be telling my kids they are going to burn in hell. But I would still feel guilty for wanting my kids to steer clear of them.

• I Agree 2