IGNORED

Police Responding to Suspected Explosive Device Near US Capitol

47of74

I'm not sure what the guy's issue is, if he's a Branch Trumpvidian / Qanon, a guy having a mental breakdown, or something else entirely which is why I'm giving it its own spot for now.

Police are responding to a claim of an explosive device in a truck near the US Capitol, according to law enforcement sources, and two buildings nearby are being evacuated.

Police are sending negotiators to engage with a man in the truck making the threat, one of the sources said.

Two Library of Congress buildings -- the Jefferson and the Madison -- and the Cannon House building are being evacuated due to a suspicious vehicle in the vicinity, according to alerts sent to staffers viewed by CNN.

US Capitol Police on Twitter Thursday said they are responding to the incident of a "suspicious vehicle" near the Library of Congress.

Edited by 47of74
  • Thank You 7

• 47of74 changed the title to Police Responding to Suspected Explosive Device Near US Capitol

I hope nobody gets injured.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

45 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I hope nobody gets injured.

Same here and that he doesn't decide to martyr himself - be it for the orange lump or whatever other cause he's there for.  The authorities still don't know why he's doing what he's doing, or at least not saying, but are talking to him now.

• Upvote 7

Guy's name is said to be Ray Roseberry from North Carolina and he's been posting live from his truck.  He claims that there are four more trucks parked in the area with explosives and that any bullet through his windshield will blow up the truck.  He shows the inside of the truck and there's piles of change in the floors.  

He says that he wants Joe Biden to send someone out to talk to him and that he can deactivate the bomb.  He says that if his bomb goes off the others will trigger and that the "revolution will be on".  He says that Democrats are "killing America" and that he's also doing this for the Afghanis.

Spoiler

2080371063_Screenshot(6018).png.80c3adad312f7b96562166a6d18fc894.png1005996762_Screenshot(6019).png.72da80143ada421160a360102ee58249.png

• Thank You 10

17 minutes ago, Xan said:

Guy's name is said to be Ray Roseberry from North Carolina.

Quoting myself to add:

He says, "If America needs a voice, I'll give it to them."  He says that the bomb is tannerite.  I looked it up.  It is accessible to the public and is detonated by high velocity bullets or (I suppose) very loud sounds.  He says that the only person who can detonate the truck is Joe Biden by giving the order to shoot him.  

He talks about how "the people are tired" and they want the Democrats to step down.  Then he wants air strikes on the Taliban.  There's a whole lot of crazy going on with this one.

They've confirmed that the guy is Floyd Ray Roseberry.

Edited by Xan
  • Thank You 10

Thanks. No real surprise here that the guy is a Branch Trumpvidian.  I guess I could have assumed it but then it would’ve been the one time out of 100 that I was wrong. 

Edited by 47of74
  • I Agree 9

Ugh he would have to be from North Carolina, wouldn't he? I swear we're not all crazy like this dude!

The good part of me hopes no one, including him, is injured, and that the guy gets some serious mental help hopefully including cult deprogramming.

The "done with this shit" part of me hopes they'll just have a sniper take him out from a distance, in such a way that there's no chance of detonating whatever "bomb" he has, and set an example that this type of terrorism will be put down immediately.

Both parts hope that if he survives this he's locked up in some form for a very very long time.

Here we have yet another Trump supporter who doesn't realize he and his ilk are the minority in this country. 

Also, he's a terrorist. Let's call him what he is. He claims to be anti-Taliban but is taking pages out of Bin Laden's playbook. He's a terrorist. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Ugh he would have to be from North Carolina, wouldn't he? I swear we're not all crazy like this dude!

I had the same feeling.  I was born in North Carolina and it pains me that this guy is from my state.  

Yeah, he thinks he's speaking for "the people" who believe that they're in the majority.  He says at one point that he doesn't care if Trump gets back in or not but I think he's just doing that to provide Trump with cover.  He keeps blaming Biden and Pelosi so we know exactly what this dude's deal is.

• Upvote 10

13 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

The good part of me hopes no one, including him, is injured, and that the guy gets some serious mental help hopefully including cult deprogramming.

The "done with this shit" part of me hopes they'll just have a sniper take him out from a distance, in such a way that there's no chance of detonating whatever "bomb" he has, and set an example that this type of terrorism will be put down immediately.

Both parts hope that if he survives this he's locked up in some form for a very very long time.

Here we have yet another Trump supporter who doesn't realize he and his ilk are the minority in this country. 

Also, he's a terrorist. Let's call him what he is. He claims to be anti-Taliban but is taking pages out of Bin Laden's playbook. He's a terrorist. 

Yeah he’s a terrorist.  I’m in the done with this shit column and have been since Jan 6 and hope the Feds cross the galactic enough line before too much longer. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

The new magabomber surrendered.

The man who claimed to have bomb in a pickup truck near the U.S. Capitol has surrendered to law enforcement, ending an hour-long standoff.

The man, identified by law enforcement officials as 49-year-old Floyd Ray Roseberry of North Carolina, crawled out of the vehicle and was being taken into custody shortly before 2:30 p.m. local time.

• Thank You 7

Sigh. North Carolina does it again. I swear there are sane people here. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

1 hour ago, Xan said:

I had the same feeling.  I was born in North Carolina and it pains me that this guy is from my state.  

8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Sigh. North Carolina does it again. I swear there are sane people here. 

Every state has its nutjobs, and you three are good ambassadors for the sane people of North Carolina. :pb_smile:

• I Agree 5
  • Love 8

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

you three are good ambassadors for the sane people of North Carolina. :pb_smile:

HAYMAYUN!

(sorry - couldn't resist) :animals-dogrun:

• Haha 10

19 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

HAYMAYUN!

(sorry - couldn't resist) :animals-dogrun:

I was about to say, we have to counter this dude AND Bro Gary. Why are the crazies the loudest?

• Haha 1
  • Love 8

"Man who claimed to have bomb near Capitol charged with threatening to use ‘weapon of mass destruction’"

A man who prompted an evacuation of the U.S. Capitol and surrounding buildings on Thursday by claiming to have a bomb inside his truck faces charges of threatening to use explosives and a weapon of mass destruction.

Floyd Ray Roseberry of North Carolina surrendered to authorities Thursday about five hours after he drove a truck onto the sidewalk outside of the Library of Congress and launched a standoff with law enforcement officers, police said. He had demanded to speak to President Biden about a range of grievances against the Democratic Party and claimed that if he was shot, his vehicle and four others would explode.

According to the court documents, a relative of Roseberry’s reported to local law enforcement on Wednesday that he “had recently expressed anti-government views and an intent to travel to Virginia or Washington, D.C. to conduct acts of violence.”

Officials said they found no bomb in his car, but there were materials that could be used to make explosives.

In court appearance Friday when the charges were made public, Roseberry said he went to school through the eighth grade before going to work, but eventually returned and got his GED as well as a welding license. He also said he hadn’t taken “my mind medicine” for at least two days.

“My memory isn’t that well, sir,” he told U.S. Magistrate Judge Zia M. Faruqui. He said his wife had power of attorney over his medical care.

Faruqui said he would delay any substantive decisions until the medication was provided, but told Roseberry he faces up to life in prison.

“I can tell you’re a good man,” Roseberry responded. “I’m willing to do whatever you ask.”

Faruqui ordered a competency screening for Roseberry at the request of the government, which also asked for him to remain jailed. Authorities said Roseberry was 49 but in court he said he was 51.

Before he was taken into custody, Roseberry delivered a tirade over a Facebook live video that circulated widely before it was taken down by the website and other social media platforms. In the video, he told viewers he repeated the false claim that the election was stolen from President Donald Trump and called on Democrats to resign.

He also threw what he said was $3,000 in cash out the windows of his truck.

Roseberry’s father, Floyd Roseberry, said his son had experienced mental problems in the past and, at times, threatened violence.

Roseberry’s ex-wife, Crystal Roseberry, said he has had a history of mental instability and had a volatile temper during their decade-long marriage.

His father said he thought his son had “gotten on his feet” in recent years. He was running an auto repair business and a mobile home park, and had also become more religious under the influence of his new wife, his father said.

Bishop Brady Jackson, who leads a local church, said Roseberry was never a member and his wife stopped attending.

But Jackson said that “as far as I am concerned they’re both pretty good people. … I never would have thought he would done that.”

The threat came four months after a Capitol Police officer was killed by a man who rammed his car into the barriers around the grounds, and six months after a violent pro-Trump mob overran law enforcement and took over the building.

Roseberry had been distraught over his mother’s death a few years ago, said Brenda and Charles Humphries, his aunt and uncle. But nothing seemed amiss when the couple last saw Roseberry about a month ago, they said.

Brenda Humphries they learned about the incident in Washington from a friend.

“Oh, my lord,” she said. “I don’t know what happened. Something must have happened to Ray.”

His son’s fiancee, Courtney Foster, said Roseberry would tell everybody how much he agreed with Trump and “the way that he spoke the truth to the people,” but she was not aware of him attending any political events in D.C.

Roseberry does not “believe in” watching TV and would get his news on his phone, Foster said. She wasn’t sure what sources he relied on, but he came away with a dislike for Biden and refusal to get vaccinated against the coronavirus.

“He’s very big in politics and he’s very big in, you know, the way that things are right now. He keeps up with it,” Foster said. “And this is just a result of it.”

• Thank You 11