IGNORED

Returning to the Office

LadyCrow1313

I've been working from home since last March. It's been an interesting experience to say the least, but I've actually come to enjoy it. Not only saving $ on gas & food, but being able to wear whatever the hell I want & burning scented candles have been nice bonuses. (Plus not having to drive in shite weather was nice, too.)

To be honest, though, I have missed seeing my coworker friends, but my immediate circle & I have been in communication via text/phone calls, or via an im thing for work purposes, so it's not like we've been completely cut off. 

I've also been into the office a total of three times since this craziness started, but mainly for technical issues (plus to pick up a box of crap from my desk that I didn't bring home). 

Just got an email tonight from HR, & it basically stated that towards the end of this month, people are being asked to come back to the office (but on a volunteer basis). Needless to say, this has given me a great deal of agita. 

I know it's only a matter of time that it'll be mandatory, & I really don't want to go back. 

If you've been working from home, have you been "asked" to go back? If you had a choice to continue to work from home, would you stay home (or would you choose to go back)? 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Love 8

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Returning to the Office

I am retired, so I have mostly been doing the pandemic on the easy setting (video game reference.). I hope you find some way to negotiate this so that you are comfortable. 

• Upvote 4

I’ve been working from home since last March too. Not looking forward to returning to the office either. Luckily for me we have not yet lifted the work from home policy in our province. We expect to hit 70% of 12+ vaccinated by the end of the week….2 weeks later work from home lifts. My organization has said no one returns until September 13 and then it will be gradually (we have about 1800 staff). We will also continue to have at least 2 days per week at home. I can do it if I have to but I’m in no rush. I enjoy my own coffee maker, kitchen, bathroom and being able to toss in laundry and start dinner. 

• Love 4

I worked from home from the end of March 2020 to roughly end of March 2021. We went back in stages, with slowly increasing capacity. Initially we were hot desking which is the stupidest idea ever in a pandemic. This was for "space" reasons to ensure we were all in however many metres squared we were supposed to be (rostering desks would have had the same effect and left me a lot less frustrated). Initially it was a maximum of 3 days per week, then they tried to push for everyone to be on site full time. There was a lot of pushback over this, so the compromise was minimum 3 days on site, arrange it with your manager if you want to WFH the other days. I was 4 days on site, which I actually wasn't given a choice about. We went back into lockdown on May 28th, and the renegotiating is happening again, although at this stage there's no clear date for any return on site. I am in two minds about being on/off site - I didn't want to return, but there are benefits and drawbacks both ways. It's much easier to ask questions quickly, but hybrid meetings are a PITA. Commuting drives me nuts, but the line between home and work is more distinct. I feel like it's likely to be a bit back and forth for a while yet, even with vaccines - and much as I hoped the "must be in the office" culture would change it really didn't much in my workplace.

• Love 4

I’ve been doing 2 days in the office and 3 at home. It is good to catch up with people Face to face and get a bit of hallway chatter about what is going on. But it is much cheaper to work at home with no lunch or parking, and no long drive to work. I think a few days in the office is ideal, some are only doing one day, and some have chosen to go back 5 days.

• Love 4

We were put on work from home if you can in March 2020. (I was in at least once/week during this stage due to things that just needed done at the office or in the plant) Late July - August they began rolling us back in - in stages.  Then in September/October the salaried ranks began getting sick/exposed outside of work and eventually - when the local rates soared - local management rolled us back to work from home if we can.  The later work from home I was in a lot less (in part because winter).  Of late - especially post vaccination - I have been in a lot more.  Today I believe is the officially corporate return to the office.  I'm severely blessed to have bosses that are letting me work something of a hybrid going forward.  Best of both worlds.

And sending positive vibes to those FJers returning to offices. 

• Love 3

I'm having anxiety about returning to my office solely because of my dog. We adopted him on March 1, 2020, before anything had shut down. He's used to me being home with him all day, although last fall I was going in to the office a few days per week and he did ok being alone. I'm hoping to work out a slow return to the office....a few hours per day at first and then work up to a full day. We'll see. I wish I could just sit him down and talk it out ?

• Love 6

At my previous work we were told in March of last year to work from home if possible up through the end of March.  Pretty soon it became mandatory for people to work from home but I was able to get some stuff from my desk before then.  It then was do not go in unless the site director gave direct permission.  Then they were talking about returning to work in May.  Then July.  By the end of June it was we don't know when we'll be getting back in.  Then July they decided to close the local office.  I was just able to go in a couple more times to clean up my desk in mid September.

My current work is completely remote.  The project I'm on might be ending here soon but they said they'd try to get me on another project, which would also be remote.  If I get a new job up in Minnesota if they need me to go in to work at an office that's fine with me.  I'd hope I could work from home at least part of the time if possible but if not I'm cool with returning to an office.

• Upvote 6

My job is one of those that can't be done from home, so I'm looking forward to being called back to the office, as others have already gone back. Now that California has lifted most Covid restrictions, I just found out that I'm most likely going back on the 28th.  I'm expecting to have to wear a mask  at work unless the guidelines change where those of us who don't work with the general public and who have been fully vaccinated don't need to wear one. I'm sure when I get the call, they'll tell us what the policy is on masks for those of us who are fully vaccinated. Most of my coworkers are fully vaccinated, or will be at that point when everyone is back at the office. I just got an email with the possible return date, so I at least know it's not that much longer.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 5

I worked from home for a few months last year, but then was back in the office by mid-summer. There are only 6 people in our office, 4 of whom are my immediate family that were part of my bubble, and we all had our own individual offices spread out. But our lease was up at the end of February, and I guess landlords are trying to recoup the money they've lost from companies closing or moving to full time WFH because office rents have skyrocketed here. In order to stay in the space we were in (in an awful building that leaked and had so many issues) we would've had to pay double what our previous lease was. So we're back to working from home until we can find something reasonable.  I definitely like the no commute part and the having a full kitchen for lunch part, but for some reason this time around is harder for me mentally. I guess last time everyone was kind of in the same boat, whereas now it feels weirder. And my husband is using the office upstairs, but we can't be in the same room because we often have different conference calls at the same time, so my desk is in the living room. I feel like I never really leave the office since I can see my computer from the kitchen or the couch. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

• 2 months later...

So we're back to indefinite WFH and the powers that are have "recirculated" a document with guidelines for teams, zoom, email signatures etc. I've been WFH on and off since March last year and this is the first time I've seen it. I'm not the only one going "what?", apparently the circulation was... a bit limited last year. Still at least I now know that my email sig is supposed to be enormous and specify what is being prioritised as well as emergency contact details. Grief. 

• Upvote 4

My office is now offering hybrid wfh….must come in 2 days a week starting mid October. Home work space must now be in a room with a door that locks. Pretty confident that since my husband and son haven’t touched my work stuff in 18 months they won’t suddenly start this fall. However I will move my space to continue with wfh. 

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

My work has announced a mandatory vaccination policy, and a projected date for beginning to return again (we all went back to WFH at the start of lockdown #5 in... end June? July? I think?, which rolled into lock down #6 which is where we are at).  The vaccination part doesn't bother me but I am strangely cautious about the prospect of being on site again. Too much virus still circulating, and even with mandatory masking I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable right now. Still, who knows what will happen between now and then, or what capacity we'll be on site at. 

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 5

Our office pushed us back on a return date again. We were scheduled for an eight week gradual return starting mid September, then pushed to mid October and now after the new year.

Alberta is a dumpster fire currently. Sky high cases, vaccine “passports” that are editable PDF format, ICU beds normally at 173 now 310 and over 11% positivity rates. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

About positivity rates. 

I saw this on the CoronavirusColorado subreddit so I hope I can explain this correctly. The following may not apply where you if you don't live in Colorado, depending on how public health authorities are tracking COVID 19 testing. 

Early in the pandemic, the only tests that were available (if you had any access at all) was public health testing when you were symptomatic or had a known exposure to someone who was positive. Therefore, testing rates were a very important metric for determining the spread of the virus. The testing rates were a closer approximation of the actual rate of infection in the community. 

Now, in Colorado, we have a lot of people using over the counter tests, and not just going to a mass testing site or a physician.  If they have symptoms and test negative, they relax and don't report the negative. If they test positive, they will generally get a followup PCR test from their primary care practitioner (or urgent care/ER), which will become a part of the state statistics. This may be why we are seeing a relatively high positivity rate in Colorado, but not a corresponding increase in hospitalization and excess deaths. 

Colorado isn't great, and I live is the worst urban area for incidence, but it is a lot better than we are seeing in the deep south. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

Positivity rates aren't a good gauge of the pandemic for reasons like the one you say.  It also goes the other way with areas with mandates and people who have to test weekly pushing up the negative count.  That happens in our county or perhaps balances the people who do an at home test.  The grandkids' school encourages, but doesn't mandate weekly testing for all under 12s.  A lot of parents have opted in for that and so far they've found two cases at their school.  Multiply that over the district and it's a lot of negatives.  

• Upvote 7

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place to post, since this is a not returning to work tale.  A friend and also one of our neighbors (they both have the same employer) have been working remotely during the pandemic.  They learned that the lease on their workplace has not been renewed, and they both anticipate never having to return to an office setting.  They both do website and IT type work.  My neighbor does have to be on call to go into a building containing the servers, but it’s been really rare.  They are both happy to not have to commute on a regular basis, etc.  

It’s interesting to me that whole buildings are being emptied, and I’m guessing personal homes are being retrofitted to accommodate permanently working from home.  This is a state government office that decided to do this, so it’s just one building of many.  I wonder if other buildings will follow suit. 

• Upvote 3

@CTRLZero, we're going through the same thing.  my employer is in the middle of a 10-year lease.  our space accommodates about 150 people, and two years ago we were nearing capacity and were wait-listed for additional space in the building.  not so much now.  our state mandated on-site staff to be reduced to 10% early on last year, and we complied.  well, the 90% who were able to work from home absolutely love it and don't want to come back.  so we've been paying a five-figure amount of monthly rent on an office that is mostly empty.   we renegotiated the lease to allow us to leave it if a new tenant comes in.  and there is a prospective one in line for early next year; the building is mixed use, so it's probable that the new tenant is not office-related (there's a distillery, wine vendor, two restaurants, hair salon, and dog daycare here already).  so the other 10% of us will be sent to an alternate building that the company owns.  i'm not looking forward to that, because it's a crappily-built warehouse c. 1992 with modular windowless offices, and our current space is a thousand times nicer.  i shouldn't complain, though, because i still have a job with good benefits.

i stayed in the on-site group because my tiny house doesn't have room for a dedicated workspace.  i work from home only occasionally, and i have to set up on half of my dining room table with a 15" laptop.  i'm also lucky enough to have only a 15-minute commute.

Edited by catlady
  • Upvote 4

My work is nuts, frankly. I work on a team which sits between two divisions. The division I am attached to went with a policy of everyone returns to normal on site hours (well the ones we were working in July) as of last week. The  other division is looking to return in the new year, depending on case numbers. There is literally no reason our jobs need to be onsite right now - all the meetings are still hybrid  as at least one person is still WFH. Cases are rising again with Omicron, and schools just finished for the year, so a lot of people are working remotely while juggling (and about half my division is on leave this week). Frankly it feels like our division head is an extroverted micromanager, and it's really annoying a lot of people who thought the flexibility would continue, and - importantly - go both ways. The feedback to the leadership team after one particularly frustrating meeting in the planning phase where we were told "oh if you've been exposed just test if you have symptoms or are worried" was along the lines of "you aren't listening to us and the pandemic is ongoing, are you freaking kidding us?!"

The second day I worked I was exposed both on site and at the cafe next door and was directed to get tested by Dept Health (negative, but tiring). I honestly don't see why we couldn't at least have gone through to the new year, and started then. Psychogically I think it would have worked a lot better (and for those of us trying to avoid exposure to try and minimise risk at Christmas family lunches it would really have helped.)

• Upvote 6

• 2 months later...

When I started my current work one had to be fully vaxed and boosted to be able to work in the office.  People had to wear masks in common areas and while out and about but could take them off at their desks if no one else was around.  This week they went to masks optional.  Seemed to be about a 60/40 split in people wearing masks in favor of wearing masks when I went down yesterday but there weren't that many people in yesterday so I didn't wear one while in the office.  I kept it handy in case someone asked me put one on and if I needed to go to a building that required them.  Buses still require them for now but it looks like that might change in a month or so.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is developing guidance that will ease the nationwide mask mandate on airplanes, buses, and other mass transit next month, according to a U.S. official, but the existing face covering requirement will be extended through April 18.

The requirement, which is enforced by the Transportation Security Administration, had been set to expire on March 18, but was extended by a month to allow the public health agency time to develop new, more targeted policies. The requirement extends to planes, buses, trains, and transit hubs.

According to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the announcement head of time, the CDC is developing a “revised policy framework” for when masks should be required on transit systems based off its newly released “COVID-19 community levels” metric.

As of March 3 more than 90% of the U.S. population is in a location with low or medium COVID-19 Community Levels, where public face-masking is no longer recommended in indoor settings.

Everyone was back to the office last week, and while masks are optional for those of us who are boosted, most of my coworkers and I are still wearing them for now for at least another week. I expect that by April, we won't be wearing masks at work.  I'm flying to Vegas to visit my mom over the Easter break, and I still plan to wear a mask even if the federal guidelines are lifted by then just as an added precaution. As I've mentioned before, I haven't had a single cold since masks became a thing 2 years ago. Before the pandemic, I would maybe have 1-2 colds a year.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 5

• 3 months later...

Elon didn’t think this through. 

Elon Musk’s plan to get employees back in the office is hitting a bit of a speed bump: There aren’t enough desks or parking spots for returning workers.  

Tesla’s most productive factory, located in Fremont, Calif., has struggled to accommodate the influx of employees responding to Musk's new in-office mandate, The Information's Becky Peterson reported. Employees told The Information that a hiring surge at the company and remodeled parts of the office have made for crowded space. A lack of communication from Tesla’s dwindling human resources department has only exacerbated the issue. 

Workers have returned to an overflowing parking lot and resorted to parking at the local transit station, resuming a pre-pandemic problem. Once employees shuttled to the office, some found there was no desk for them to work from or stable enough Wi-Fi to do their jobs. They told The Information that some managers told them to work from home some days because there weren’t enough workstations. 

Musk made his stance on remote work clear earlier this month, when a thread of leaked emails revealed that he required everyone at the company to spend at least 40 hours (a full workweek) in offices. He said his presence in Tesla factories is what led to the company’s success, adding that he’ll assume workers who don’t return to office have resigned.

• Upvote 2

I still think Elon was hoping for redundancies through stealth after his Twitter acquisition debacle. It doesn't surprise me that there's not enough desks or spaces, detail doesn't seem to be his strong point.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I still think Elon was hoping for redundancies through stealth after his Twitter acquisition debacle. It doesn't surprise me that there's not enough desks or spaces, detail doesn't seem to be his strong point.

Yeah he seems like more of a concept guy who is full of what he considers to be great ideas but doesn't think of all the details or what is needed to execute the ideas. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Just saw this on CNN

The role that offices play in our lives has been disrupted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Among US workers able to perform their jobs from home, almost six in 10 now do so most, or all, of the time, according to a Pew Research Center survey published in February. Of those, only 42% cite the coronavirus as a major reason, with over three-quarters saying they simply prefer it.

So, at a time when many are questioning whether we need offices at all, photographer Steven Ahlgren's archival images of American workplaces are a reminder of a not-too-distant past.

Shot over the course of 11 years, the pictures offer a glimpse of corporate life in the 1990s and early 2000s. Ahlgren used gigs photographing business networking events to secure invites to legal and accounting firms, government offices and commercial banks.

Yeah I worked in a couple places like that.  The raised floors, the wires everywhere, and so on. 

The reason I never really liked Office Space or The Office all that much was that much was cause it hit too close to home.

Sometimes I do get nostalgic for the office as it was 15 years ago but then I think I'd rather chill in my condo all day.

• Upvote 2