IGNORED

jinder's Dresses 2: Duggar Wedding Gowns

Coconut Flan

I think Claire will choose something modest (duh), but modern. I’d like to see long sleeves. I think something slimline (but not tight) would suit her. Plain and simple, not too much lace - she is very pretty, so she doesn’t need lots of details. 

I imagine something elegant like this (without the low back), but if she goes for a fuller skirt it might be in a similar style to Kate Middleton’s dress.

https://www.victoriasqueen.com/boat-neck-long-spring-wedding-dress-4420.html

A6F6A334-5A3F-4535-9064-3D34513CE794.jpeg

Second photo under spoiler (I hope)

Spoiler

D700CBDD-25AA-44FB-B831-687A2A45BF17.thumb.jpeg.f8e76646649f36eeb27299433f702076.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

This looks a lot like Lauren’s. When we got introduced to her, I was impressed as her style was definitely different from the Duggar brand. She showed some very pretty “hot secretary” outfit for example and not just country girl/librarian chic. Nothing wrong with those but they all look pretty similar and Lauren sticks out. Claire seems to be less into fashion from what I have seen. You need to feel extremely comfortable in your body to rock a dress like that and it’s definitely a more fashionable style. The long sleeve, lace, full skirt type has been a safe bank and pretty mainstream ever since Kate Middleton stepped out of the car. (I would have never thought her fashion choice could actually start a trend- she is definitely not a trendsetter or has the best style.)

I am definitely unsure what style will be the style of this decade in terms of wedding dresses. The strapless, full skirt was very 2000, and the long sleeve lace very 2010. I see a lot of tight dresses (s.a.), boho and vintage inspired ones. It will be interesting when we look back what and if there will be a noticeable 2020 look. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Long sleeves would fit with the season, I think the suggestions above would be a really good option but they do look a lot like Laurens dress.

• Upvote 3

My read on Ma Spivey is that we'll see Claire in full fundie princess splendor, aka more of a Kendra style.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

@Audrey2 oh I don’t see Hilary signing off on any ugly bodge jobs. Having hooked her Duggar she will be looking for something modest and stylish - Claire may or may not get a say in it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

My prediction for Claire's dress.
787f9a21a425d31f599fb98d05aa485e.jpg

That's gorgeous. If I'd had a winter wedding instead of the early fall one we did have, I'd wear that. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

@MaryOrMartha I think it'll be similar to that, too! maybe not with the shiny satiny material, but a lace bodice and simple skirt. maybe like these?

^ girly, but more subtle than Kendra- or Jessa-level princessy.

• Upvote 9

13 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

My big question is will the dress already be modest or will it be horribly turned into an ugly modest creation?

Most on-trend wedding dresses these days are already fairly modest. I think the frankendresses were more necessary when everything off the rack was strapless.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

I think she’ll go short or half sleeve with an a-line gown. 

I don’t see much lace but I do think she’ll have sparkle. 

If she does do lace, I hope it’s embroidered. 

775A0852-53C2-4091-9E4D-17B8F329F602.jpeg

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 5

• 1 month later...

It’s a hard prediction. The last dresses (minus Abbie’s) were pretty much in line with current fashion trends. I don’t see a Boho or a glam aesthetic like Josie and Whitney Bates brought out in the last years. If they stick with more fashion-led choices @ihaveanexamintwodays and @Jinder Roles might have a shot. Kendra‘s and Lauren‘s dresses were fantastic and matched their personalities. Somehow I don’t see Claire as interested in fashion trends and her personality seems to more calm and caring, almost motherly (?). We haven’t seen much of her so who knows though.

Hopefully she can pick something she really likes without being forced to tone it down or ramp it up for the Duggar image.

• Upvote 4

I hope she picks something young fun and pretty. I would hate to see someone so young in a frumpy matronly dress that wears her. I would actually prefer to see her run for the hills.... but ah well we can at least hope for a dress that she genuinely loves even if we (as a collective) think it’s horrid. 
I know it has been said before but I never get why they just don’t by Morman wedding dresses. Already modest and most of them I would wear. My dress taste likes covered shoulders and arms etc I dont mind my girls to be a bit on show though so that’s where me and mormans part ways. 

• Upvote 4

@AussieKrissy I guess the ritual of choosing the wedding dress with Michelle and various other Duggar women has become easy filler for the show. The Say Yes to the Dress formula is hugely popular and the producers hope it will pull in viewers. Plus Duggars are cheap and if it’s filmed they get the dress paid for and no doubt transport for all the hangers on to the shop.

I wouldn’t be surprised if during one of Michelle’s visits to Texas they filmed the dress choosing - probably all wearing masks like the hypocrites they are.

• Upvote 5

On 12/21/2020 at 10:31 PM, just_ordinary said:

She showed some very pretty “hot secretary” outfit for example and not just country girl/librarian chic.

I am absolutely loving these descriptions!  

I married for the first time quite late in life, and was married in a simple floor length dress w/ a floral design on a pale lavender background. If was an outside afternoon wedding and the dress was comfy and easy to get around in. 

I love the pics of gorgeous dresses upthread with yards of fabric swirling around the feet of the bride, it looks very romantic.  BUT, from a functional point of view, like even walking down the aisle, how do these work?  Is an attendant required to hold up and arrange the piles of fabric or tulle?  It looks great in a still photo, but the logistics of actually functioning in such a dress at a wedding look...daunting. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Howl said:

I am absolutely loving these descriptions!  

I married for the first time quite late in life, and was married in a simple floor length dress w/ a floral design on a pale lavender background. If was an outside afternoon wedding and the dress was comfy and easy to get around in. 

I love the pics of gorgeous dresses upthread with yards of fabric swirling around the feet of the bride, it looks very romantic.  BUT, from a functional point of view, like even walking down the aisle, how do these work?  Is an attendant required to hold up and arrange the piles of fabric or tulle?  It looks great in a still photo, but the logistics of actually functioning in such a dress at a wedding look...daunting. 

Frequently gowns are designed so that the train can be attached as a bustle so the bride can get around more easily and dance at her reception. But yes, that is why brides need attendants. In theory, one could also do an over-skirt which would be detached after the ceremony, but I don't know it that actually happens. 

The most interesting choice I ever saw was when I attended the wedding of a woman of Chinese descent. She was married in a traditional white wedding gown at the church. Then, for her reception, she changed to a traditional Chinese wedding dress, which was red. It was designed so she could move around in it easily. The reception was held in a Chinese restaurant which was closed to other business that day. It was some of the best food I have ever had, though I did pass on a few of the traditional delicacies presented. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I got married this summer and my dress had quite a big train.

I had the option to tie it up for the dance but since we were not allowed to dance because of covid I did not do so.

It was very filthy the next day ?

Spoiler

8c2f9b95-40ac-4ad0-bc42-d32b71882b97.thumb.JPG.bb1ea1741f2f3737d2c7ce2e75b79a48.JPG6e95a370-1e10-4bfc-8260-a8cd7b07a4d8.thumb.JPG.00513148eaa28ef1e5c4c20b5b25bc93.JPG

• Upvote 3
  • Love 26

Spoiler

A163A4EB-C2E2-41A1-B851-2833F810C096.thumb.jpeg.6b475fb6c7bcec939d42eed5c3d61043.jpeg

My dress had quite a floaty train too. By the evening I was too drunk to worry about it getting trodden on/dirty etc. (Obviously this wouldn’t be a solution for fundies ?). It did end up a real mess but nothing a good dry clean couldn’t sort! 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 16

I once stumbled upon a long floaty train on a dance floor. Alcohol might have been involed. Nobody got hurt and I didn't tear apart the dress or anything.. still one of the more embarassing moments in my life. But at least all the other people (including the bride) had a good hard laugh.

• Upvote 6

Our wedding venue has a beautiful spiral staircase that leads down to the lawn where our ceremony was, and I thought it would be so nice to make a dramatic entrance down the stairs. I clearly wasn't considering my train or heels when I made that decision. I'm pretty sure the first time my husband saw me walking down the "aisle" the look on my face was more terrified, "please don't let me fall down these stairs in front of everyone," rather than happy and excited to be marrying him. Oops.

Spoiler

1179827762_JA245.thumb.jpg.7adf322b5dc6c0452b9dcd7d2762b6c1.jpg

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2
  • Love 12

39 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

Our wedding venue has a beautiful spiral staircase that leads down to the lawn where our ceremony was, and I thought it would be so nice to make a dramatic entrance down the stairs. I clearly wasn't considering my train or heels when I made that decision. I'm pretty sure the first time my husband saw me walking down the "aisle" the look on my face was more terrified, "please don't let me fall down these stairs in front of everyone," rather than happy and excited to be marrying him. Oops.

Hide contents

1179827762_JA245.thumb.jpg.7adf322b5dc6c0452b9dcd7d2762b6c1.jpg

You look beautiful. Although the best decision I made was to wear converse under my wedding dress, they were my something blue. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 9

18 minutes ago, Alysabeth said:

You look beautiful. Although the best decision I made was to wear converse under my wedding dress, they were my something blue. 

Thank you! I love the idea of Converse. I only wore the heels I did because they were the first present my husband ever bought for me when we first started dating. I did change into flats (and the short dress I wore to the rehearsal dinner) for part of the reception. We did a cha cha/swing combo for our first dance and there was no way I could cha cha in a long train.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1