IGNORED

Spring 2020 Gardens!

Maggie Mae

Because of a combination of climate change and covid-19, we managed to get our garden planted way ahead of schedule! 

And it turns out that my entire city is doing the same thing - all of the nurserys are having trouble keeping starters and seeds in stock for the most popular item (cold weather vegetables). This year we added a few new sections to our garden, tearing up the sod and removing a rhubarb plant (I hate the stuff). So far we've put in potatoes, corn (we grew a ton of corn last year, in our yard, 61degrees north. We also planted peas, beans, spinach, carrots (here's hoping this will be the year!), and pumpkins! 

How is everyone else's projects going? 

• Upvote 2

Yeah we got ours done early this year.  We have stuff coming up already and before too long it'll be ready to start pulling out for delicious meals.

In addition, as I mentioned earlier, my dad and uncle got their planting for the farm done early this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I planted cucumbers in our garden this year and they are extraordinary ill-mannered. They really try to survive, but for now that is all the do. My first round of cucumber plants died, because I did put them on the balcony to get used to the outside-weather. The refused and just died right away. And now the second round of cucumber plants is staying alive but they look horrible. Last year my cucumber plants produced about 2 cucumbers. In total. Next year I should try zucchinis. The cucumber plants from my Mum died too. Maybe it is just not the year for cucumbers.

On the plus side: The onions are growing and my thyme is getting bigger and bigger and attracting lots of bees. The pear tree has many pears on it, I hope the won't rot away on the branches, that's what happened the last 2 years. The last 2 years it was a problematic mixture of wasps and warm and wet weather. And there is a spot with wild blueberry branches and another spot with wild peppermint. Oh I can't wait until they are ready to harvest.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.