IGNORED

Woman scammer caught!

Howl

Just heard about this woman on GMA.  She pretended that she had a husband fighting the Holy Fire in California in order to solicit donations and cash.  Turns out she had done other brazen scams, including faking pregnancy by wearing pregnancy suits.

Investigators said they were tipped off by suspicious social media users who claimed Bemis had a “long history” of misrepresenting herself to “obtain free items from caring people by making them feel sorry for her,” according to a search warrant obtained by the Orange County sheriff.

Police found $11,000 worth of donations and $$ when they got a search warrant for her apartment and garage.  

Brazen. This was her fake spiel on facebook: 

“My Shane works for Cal Fire and is out on the Holy Fire right now," Bemis allegedly wrote on the page," according to ABC's Los Angeles station KABC. “I also have two other family members and many friends out on this fire and other fires burning here in California. I received a text today from Shane saying it’s pretty much a living hell out there battling the unpredictable ‘Holy Hell Fire.’

"I wanted to put it out there to everyone and say I will happily meet you and pick up any donation to the firefighters and first responders that are on the front lines right now,” the post added.

Woman accused of lying about firefighter husband to collect $11K in donations

Archived