IGNORED

'In God We Trust' now must be displayed in all Florida schools

ViolaSebastian

Somebody get on the horn with the Satanic Temple, because today Florida's governor signed a law that "that requires all schools to display signs with the state motto in "a conspicuous place." 

In further proof that fundies have infiltrated positions of power, the measure was sponsored by Rep. Kimberly Daniels, D-Jacksonville, who runs a Christian ministry, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/in-god-we-trust-now-must-be-displayed-in-all-florida-schools

I wonder why on earth people would think this would change anything. Have they ever actually met teenagers??

I am a practicing Catholic and I think this is ridiculous. 

And it needs taken off the money as well. Christians who support that have obviously never really put much thought into what it implies. Jesus was pretty clear, you can't worship both God and money. But let's demand that God be referenced on the money. Okay, then. What are we worshipping when we do that? 

This kind of violation of church and state is why I despised Roy Moore long before the molestation allegations came to light.  He was removed from the bench for erecting the Ten Commandments monument. Yet still his followers rallied around him.  

My husband is an avid coin collector. Not all money had In God We Trust on it. I believe it was only made a motto back in the 1950's. This whole thing reeks of fundy insecurity. If you are strong and secure in your faith, why the need for such public proclamations? What are you compensating for? 

1 minute ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

This kind of violation of church and state is why I despised Roy Moore long before the molestation allegations came to light.  He was removed from the bench for erecting the Ten Commandments monument. Yet still his followers rallied around him.  

I would add that he put it up illegally as well. I'm guessing that if any of the people who threw tantrums about it being removed snuck into their workplace in the dead of night to install an enormous unauthorized sculpture/plaque of any kind, they would not only see it removed, but also lose their jobs. 

That entire incident was ridiculous and I have no doubt that he engineered the whole thing to get notoriety and become a martyr for the Christian Right. 

Of course if someone had put up commandments from the Vatican or the Book of Mormon or the Koran, Roy Moore would have lead the charge for them to be fired or removed from the bench. A little raging hypocrisy never stopped our fundies. 

18 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

My husband is an avid coin collector. Not all money had In God We Trust on it. I believe it was only made a motto back in the 1950's. This whole thing reeks of fundy insecurity. If you are strong and secure in your faith, why the need for such public proclamations? What are you compensating for? 

It was approved in 1956 and started appearing on currency the following year. That same year it was signed in as a "national motto" by Eisenhower. "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance two years earlier. 

All of that is attributed to the Cold War and fear of "atheistic" Communism. 

And as a Christian and a serious history student, Christian Nationalism and the plain variety as well both make me insane. 

Does anyone know if this will be challenged? I really hope so.  Though like @ViolaSebastian intimated, i'm not actually worried about teens being affected by a plaque hung on a wall, but it's the principal of the thing.

Archived