IGNORED

Cat litter

GeorgeC

I put newspaper under the box, so he can tear those up with his claws instead of the hardwood floor. I suppose a mat would make more sense - but I usually sweep every day anyway so I'm not sure what the point of a mat would be other than litter collection. 

I used to use a piece of carton for this, but my cat start to eat it it. :kitty-wink: Crazy cat! That's why I looking for something else

I use a welcome mat. Like one you'd find outside a front door. Not a sisal one. Just one with a rubber backing and big grooves. The rubber keeps it from sliding around, the grooves catch the litter (in theory) that the cat flings out or has on her paws when she gets out of the litter box.

• 2 weeks later...

We use a welcome-mat type of rug, too, but the feline headships still manage to track litter around. But it’s in the basement so it’s not so bad. I sweep up at least once a week. 

i never had any luck with an mat. I swear, the cat does it on purpose. He seems to be able to get it from the basement, where the box is, to the second floor. He's lucky he's cute.

@Terrie, i've always said that!  in addition to kicking the litter over the edge of the box*, i swear they intentionally get litter between their toes and drop it out 20+ feet away.  

*my litter box is actually a medium-sized tote, because totes are a lot less expensive than high-sided litter boxes.  my neighbor recommended that, because her cats kicked the liter over the sides too.  when one of her cats reached an age where jumping in and out was an issue, she cut out part of one side for a doorway.

2 minutes ago, catlady said:

@Terrie, i've always said that!  in addition to kicking the litter over the edge of the box*, i swear they intentionally get litter between their toes and drop it out 20+ feet away.  

It's like they squish their toes together to make sure they drag it as far as possible! How? How do they manage it? 

Archived