IGNORED

Happy Halowe'en! Evangelical Hell Houses

Lurky

I never heard of these until I saw a recent episode of American Horror Story - Cult where a deranged "pastor" has one in his home where he basically tortures real people because Jesus. Obviously this is AHS so supposed to be scary/over the top, but after seeing the episode I googled around a bit to see whether such a thing (minus the torture part, obviously!) existed in real life. Apparently, hell houses are a thing.

Wackos. 

On 11/2/2017 at 1:43 AM, Ozlsn said:

That sounds like so much fun! I have to ask - what was the cannibalism referring to in Revelations? Famine? I also am going to have to check out the insomnia verse, no recollection of that one at all. :)

IIRC there's something about eating their children and their babies. I know I've heard a sound bite of Pat Robertson talking about it.

I do remember enjoying myself. The setting up and coming up with ideas for the different rooms was really fun and seeing the kids jump was hilarious. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed myself as much if I'd been part of a hard sell Jesus talk in the sanctuary afterwards.

I first heard of them back in the late 90s. A church in a nearby city in my state held one and it made the local news. A couple of years later, they did the Columbine shooting as one of their scenes.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:39 AM, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I never heard of these until I saw a recent episode of American Horror Story - Cult where a deranged "pastor" has one in his home where he basically tortures real people because Jesus. Obviously this is AHS so supposed to be scary/over the top, but after seeing the episode I googled around a bit to see whether such a thing (minus the torture part, obviously!) existed in real life. Apparently, hell houses are a thing.

Wackos. 

For some reason that episode really creeped me out.

Archived