IGNORED

The Disappearance of Maura Murray

PennySycamore

Is anyone else watching this on Oxygen?  I must say I'm not terribly impressed.  The woman who is doing it is pretty dismissive that Maura could have been suicidal, misstated some of James Renner's thoughts (Ie, he DID NOT state that Maura was sexually abused by her dad), and is also dismissive that Maura seemed to be fairly troubled young women.  Tonight was the last straw though.  They hired a motherfucking psychic to help out!  Are you kidding me?  I can understand the parent of a missing child hiring a psychic, but not someone who wants to be a responsible investigative journalist.

What do others think?

Btw, it occurred to several years ago that I've been down the same road that Maura was on when she disappeared.  We were on our way to Lincoln, New Hampshire from Vermont were we we to meet up with two of my daughters as we all gathered for my youngest daughter's college graduation.  

I haven’t been watching that particular special, but I have seen quite a few different shows profile the case. It seemed super bizarre. She definitely had something going on IMO since she skipped class and was driving around (if I’m remembering correctly). Her dad always seemed so devoted to finding her. What are your thoughts on what happened to her? Suicide? 

I've tended over the years to think that she fled to a new life or possibly ended up committing suicide, but not right there in New Hampshire.  It seems that she was traveling with someone else in a second car and possibly even someone in her car.  Some that came upon her right after the crash reported seeing someone else in her car.  The woman who did this show apparently doesn't know about the network of underground shelters for women fleeing domestic violence.  IOW, it doesn't necessarily mean anything that she wasn't taking tons of money with her.  I'm also not convinced that she wasn't suicidal or was planning to come back by the fact that she had done homework or had tentative plans for that spring.  She was not acting rationally.

I'll just post this link to James Renner's blog which has a good discussion of the case. He no longer accepts comments because people were getting carried away with their speculation.  (Speculating that Maura had been molested, for example.)

My Search for Maura Murray

Btw, this woman that did this show for Oxygen searched a house near where Maura crashed her car and found some blood that they had tested.  It could not be ruled out as Maura's but also could not be ruled as Maura's.  It was too small and the chain of custody was too iffy to be considered as evidence.  if it had been Maura's, then this woman screwed up big time.  She should have known better, quite frankly.

I do think it is possible that someone knows what happened to Maura.

I went back and read over the case after posting. My guess is that she hitchhiked from the car crash or walked to a nearby house and met with someone who killed her. Probably totally random. I think that whatever her problems were that she was trying to get away from are almost “distractors” in this case and take away from the simplicity of the most likely scenario- IMHO. Off to read the link you posted. 

The New Hampshire police checked out the neighbors and they all were cleared.  A tracking dog was brought in and tracked her scent up the road about a block or less, but no further.  That would lend credence to the idea that she was not traveling alone, but in tandem with someone else.  No body was found in the woods and both the live scent dog and the cadaver dog found nothing.  It's a curious case,  for sure.

Archived