IGNORED

You will answer for yr fuzzy Easter bunnies on Judgement Day

Witsec1

So, I've been going through Visionary Womanhood's blog, both her current one at visionarywomanhood.com and her old one at visionarywomanhood.blogspot.com. This is Natalie Klejwa, who was promoting her e-book "Visionary Womanhood Gatherings" about hosting koolaid klatsches - I think to recruit more moderate women into the extremist/Quiverfull lifestyle.

I had got through 2008 and most of 2009 on the old blog, when suddenly it was deleted. I think she saw that I was looking at it. She has my ip address because I commented on one of her Godwin's Law posts on the new blog. The posts on the old blog are considerably more extreme, contentious, and judgmental than the new blog. Most of the 2008 entries were copy/pasted from sources like WorldNet Daily (one of her favorite news sources!) and something called "The Continuing Collapse" - really vicious language about public schools. Pretty extreme right-wingnut stuff. Her extended family is mainstream Christian, small families of 2-3 kids. She comments on how unwilling they are to listen when she points out how they are doing Christianity wrong. She goes to John Piper's church in Minneapolis - which I thought was pretty mainstream Christian conservative?

So, the question I'm trying to figure out - is the friendlier, more reasonable tone on the new blog a genuine change of heart, or did she cotton on to the fact that "you catch more flies with honey", so she is just trying to present a sweet face on top of the extreme views? I will try to do a longer profile later.

Here is a post on the new blog that shows more of the spirit of the old blog, in fact it is actually a re-post:

My children were asking me why people, including most Christians, celebrate “Easter†with bunnies, chicks and eggs. I was trying to explain to them the fact that Easter is actually a pagan holiday, and that bunnies, chicks and eggs are a symbol of fertility etc. One of my older boys googled Easter and found the following answer…from an unbeliever. Note in the answer below how the world scoffs at the inconsistency of those who claim to love Christ. Just one more way we step in line with the world and refuse to be “salt and lightâ€. One day we will give an account to God for our “traditionsâ€, “great memoriesâ€, and “warm fuzzy bunny feelingsâ€. All the feelings will be gone on that day…and we will comprehend the tragic, historical consequences of our blindness and selfishness.

visionarywomanhood.com/what-is-easter-a-non-believers-answer/

So, yeah. Judgement Day. It's all about whether you let your kids have chocolate bunnies.

Maybe Easter is symbolic of Christ's Resurrection? Easter could mean the end of winter and the birth of spring?

Winter (Christ's Death) Spring (Resurrection and New Life)

My mom once told me that the 12 Greek Gods could be a foreshadowing of the 12 apostles. Cause there is a temple in Greece with 12 Greek Gods on the right side of the dome and the 12 apostles on the left.

'Nother reason I'm a square peg.

I detest this kind of stuff. We prefer to focus on Jesus at Easter time, but it is ridiculous to think that Christians who also enjoy their chocolate bunnies and easter baskets are headed for eternal damnation. The principle of Romans 14 (whatever you celebrate or don't celebrate, do it unto the Lord and quit judging each other for celebrating or not celebrating. Same with food) would be applicable here, but some people really don't like to apply it.

You can take my "warm fuzzy bunny feelings" when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. For that matter, the bunnies themselves, too.

:lol:

Finleeport & maybeiz - that's the way it was explained to me growing up. The easter baskets and such are human traditions, and that celebrating the return of spring and the Resurrection are not mutually exclusive. Interestingly, though, my parents never pretended that it was the Easter Bunny or Santa who brought the presents.

What witch! It's cool if you don't want to celebrate holidays with Santa or the Easter bunny but to dam the rest of us for doing so? When our kids were little we did the bunnies, the chicks, cookies for Santa and all that but the kids always knew in at age appropriate levels our beliefs too. It'd suck to be her kid.

*sings*

Jesus loves the little bunnies, all the chickens of the world!

Red and yellow, black and white

They are precious in His sight!

Jesus loves the little animals of the world!!!

*stops singing*

What you look for, you will find.

When my kids were younger we decorated for Easter/Oestara with a picture of the Easter Bunny hanging on the cross. Guess we're going to hell for that, huh?

Man oh man, I'm headed to hell in a handbasket in her eyes...an Easter handbasket that is. You see, in our house, the kids like to leave the bunny a glass of cognac to thank him for the baskets. They leave Santa a cold beer, and roast beef on rye.

I don't believe in Hell or judgment day, but at least this person is consistent. Easter eggs and bunnies are all Pagan traditions. Even the name Easter comes from a Pagan goddess. Most of the Christmas traditions also come from Pagan and non-religious traditions. Christianity has a history of taking holidays that people celebrate and then just giving it a Christian spin, because it's far easier to convert large groups that way than to force them to stop their beloved traditions.

This is why I celebrate Christmas and Easter even though I'm an atheist. I have as much right to them as anyone else. I would love it if fundies would stop celebrating them so they wouldn't get so mad about me doing it. I propose a compromise. I'll start using some non-Christian word for Christmas, but I get to keep Easter and they have to come up with a new term for it. Anyone moderate Christians who still want to keep all the traditions in the mix must not complain about the "War on Christmas".

I had a friend express concern over certain Jewish traditions that are 'pagan' in origin. He is a convert and came from a Christian denomination where these things are discussed often. He was a little appalled that no one seemed to care. I told him: people had traditions before Judaism. Not all of these traditions were bad; in fact, they must have been pretty impressive considering that God Himself decided to interact repeatedly with our people. God had no problem with these practices and traditions, so why should we?

Extend that to Christianity. Jesus did not spend time telling women to stop going to fortune tellers (a common practice at the time) or any of the other pagan stuff that I am sure they were doing. In the big picture, not important. I'm Jewish but we celebrate Easter because my husband is Catholic. I rather like teh fuzzeh bunnehz.

Have fun. Enjoy life. It's okay already.

You can take my "warm fuzzy bunny feelings" when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. For that matter, the bunnies themselves, too.

However, you can take all of those fucking peeps you want, I hate those nasty little yellow things!

However, you can take all of those fucking peeps you want, I hate those nasty little yellow things!

Haven't seen you in awhile Teddybear.

Re. Peeps; I think you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Now, if those fundies want to take away my cream eggs, forget God. They are going to face my wrath!!

Ah, they're an acquired taste, Teddy. They're best when they're really stale. :D

I eat at least one every year - that's about as much pure sugar as I can handle at once. They're made in the Lehigh Valley, which is where I was born and grew up for the most part, so I always feel the need to buy one package.

I love it when fundies take cultural aspects of life and turn them into a reason for god to send you to hell. Amazing god doesn't stop the creation and growth of cultural traditions and parts of life before they snowball and condemn millions to hell.

I fail to see how even the most religious person can't separate religion from culture. It boggles my mind to no end. When and where did god say you will burn in hell for combining cultural elements of life with religious ones?

I love it when fundies take cultural aspects of life and turn them into a reason for god to send you to hell. Amazing god doesn't stop the creation and growth of cultural traditions and parts of life before they snowball and condemn millions to hell.

I fail to see how even the most religious person can't separate religion from culture. It boggles my mind to no end. When and where did god say you will burn in hell for combining cultural elements of life with religious ones?

Call me prejudiced but that's how I see Protestantism, in the older traditions of the church they would pray to saints and the Virgin Mary. Which is similar to worshiping multiple gods and the mother goddess. The Protestants tore down this tradition, and made everything bibliocentric. Even the Puritans put a ban on Christmas and Easter, in their territory.

Archived