IGNORED

In Which a Nice, Old-Fashioned Italian Grandma Goes *PPPBBTTTHHHT* at the Patriarses

Hane

Having had it up to HERE with the bloviations of the PEOTUS, Geoff Boykin The Duck Scientist, and so many of the Big Important Men we discuss on this forum, I've been self-soothing lately with tales of ordinary women who get by Just Fine in the company of other women:

Broadway musicals: The Color Purple, Beautiful, Waitress, The Spitfire Grill (about an abused woman released from prison for manslaughter and finds redemption in a small-town diner)

Memoir: The Mighty Queens of Freeville, by Amy Dickinson (about two generations of women who prospered without men in their lives)

Novel: The All-Girls' Filling Station's Last Reunion, by Fannie Flagg (about sisters running a gas station and then joining the WASPs--corps of female military aviators--during WWII)

And I also take tremendous comfort in the fact that Lourdes Torres is pursuing a university degree in the STEM field!

Take THAT, Geoff, you obnoxious gasbag.

The All Girls' Filling Station's Last  Reunion and The Mighty Queens of Freeville sound like they might be good things to take on the bus to the Women's March.  I've enjoyed reading Fannie's earlier works.  Maybe I should re-watch Fried Green Tomatoes tonight.

My favorite of hers is Standing in the Rainbow.  And when I first heard about Fried Green Tomatoes, I was like "You mean Fannie Flagg from Match Game?

Archived