IGNORED

Attack in Berlin - at least 9 dead, 50 injured

JillyO

About an hour ago, a truck plowed through a crowd at a Berlin Christmas market. While nothing is sure at this point, police are already calling this a terrorist attack. At least 9 people have been confirmed dead, 50+ injured. The attacker is still on the run.

Here is some English-language info: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/lorry-ploughs-crowd-christmas-market-berlin/

As many of you know, I live in Berlin. I'm safe, but not yet really sure about all of my friends, in-laws and co-workers. I'm completely in shock.

16 minutes ago, JillyO said:

About an hour ago, a truck plowed through a crowd at a Berlin Christmas market. While nothing is sure at this point, police are already calling this a terrorist attack. At least 9 people have been confirmed dead, 50+ injured. The attacker is still on the run.

Here is some English-language info: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/lorry-ploughs-crowd-christmas-market-berlin/

As many of you know, I live in Berlin. I'm safe, but not yet really sure about all of my friends, in-laws and co-workers. I'm completely in shock.

Noooo......!:tw_dissapointed_relieved:

In 2001, I had the opportunity to fly into Berlin Tegal Airport and visit Frankfurt an der Oder. I fell in love with the people and the area. I'm tearfully sending hugs, thoughts of comfort,  and prayers to all involved. (Please accept whatever you are comfortable with.)

Also, I mean no disrespect by using the emoticon. I'm literally sitting on the couch, crying.

Per CNN, Russia's ambassador to Turkey has been assassinated. Both attacks seem to have happened at the same time, but there's nothing linking the attacks.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved and to our German members. Stay safe.

So sorry @JillyO. I'm without words, just an abyss of sadness. Heard from friends in Berlin,  they are fine but shocjed and

This is so scary. I'm literally sitting at home, shivering, no idea what tomorrow will bring. My head hurts, my eyes are red as I've been checking the news every five minutes on my phone or laptop today and have done so these past few days. No, actually I've done so all year. It's terrifying. 

Shocked. Sad. Scared. Relieved that brother and his husband are here in Munich for a visit. Pretty sure they could walk there from their Berlin home. Again, I feel like a loved one more or less closely escaped. And again I hurt for the less lucky.

I am waiting to hear back from Mr MM's cousin, who lives in Berlin.  

Today has been rough - Berlin, Zurich and the Russian ambassador.

Kind thoughts to any and all affected - the world is a very scary place these days.

Thanks to the post by @JillyO I was straight into the phone to my close friend in Berlin.  Took me a while to get through and I am not ashamed to say that I burst into tears of gratitude when they answered and said that they were all safe.  

They said that although they feel that they have been waiting for this to happen, that they are still in shock that it has.  Their teenage daughter likes to visit Christmas markets - she chose the annual Christmas decoration I received in the mail yesterday at a different market last week.   She said there has been extra security at the markets because it was thought they might be targeted.  

Mr MM's cousin and spouse are fine, but terrified.  They are huddled up watching local news.

Prayers for Berlin, and for everyone affected from today's events elsewhere as well.

My thoughts are with all the victims and their families.  I hope every FJ members' loved ones are safe.

FUCK! When will this stop?

My husband was there today, landed early in the morning and spent a few hours in the city hanging out with friends, but thankfully, he drove east to his mom's place and was already away from the city before this happened.

I managed to contact a few friends/relatives and they are all fine. 

I hope all of you FJ posters in Berlin, your families, friends and loved ones are OK. I am thinking of those who died and their families.

I feel like there are too many places to keep in thoughts/prayers this year. I fear there will be too many in the future. 

My prayers for Berlin and Germany, and Zurich, and the whole World. 

Like someone else said, it was just a matter of time. I'm not shocked or anything. More surprised that it took so long. (If it was a attack, as long as there is nothing official, it is just a huge possibility that it was one.)

Anyway. Like every other attack it will be forgotten in a few weeks. This is the new normal I guess. I was ten when 9/11 happened. Growing up with terror attacks around the world is normal. 

That things that makes me cry are the idiot right wingers who write awful things. I avoid the comment sections every day, but now even more. 

35 minutes ago, Karma said:

Unfortunately I fear that this is the new reality.

No, sorry.  It is the old reality that somehow will not stop in my lifetime.

Terrorist attacks are hardly new reality.  It is just the tactics, methods, and the numbers aware of those who are murdered that differ.

This is so shocking, scary and sad!

My brother was stationed in Berlin about 40 years ago.  IIRC, he and his buddies would go to the Christmas market and they loved it.  

@Palimpsest, unfortunately you are so right about this not being a new thing.  Man, I wish we'd learn to live in peace!

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Terrorist attacks are hardly new reality.  It is just the tactics, methods, and the numbers aware of those who are murdegred that differ.

Yes, you're right. Years ago I wouldn't have heard about it within minutes on an Internet forum.  

Our German FJ friends are in my thoughts today.  It is difficult to imagine that we will ever live in a safe world. It's true that we receive the news instantly now, and that strikes terror into all our hearts. Exactly as planned by these fucking nut jobs. Again, I simply don't understand what these attacks achieve. 

34 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Our German FJ friends are in my thoughts today.  It is difficult to imagine that we will ever live in a safe world. It's true that we receive the news instantly now, and that strikes terror into all our hearts. Exactly as planned by these fucking nut jobs. Again, I simply don't understand what these attacks achieve. 

Not only this, but thanks to greater travel opportunities for common Americans (no put downs intended, just meaning that more have been abroad) and Internet forums, I think more people feel a sense of sadness and loss. Thanks to the posters on Free Jinger, I now communicate (through posting) regularly with folks from Canada, Germany, Italy, Great Britain, Ireland, and Australia, that I know of. I appreciate hearing their thoughts and learning about their countries through their posts. The Internet truly has made us a global community. Instead of just feeling sad for those affected by a tragedy on the other side of the world, we are now weeping with @JillyO and waiting with @MarblesMom to hear about the safety of her husband's cousin.

Yesterday, all of a sudden, hundreds of people texted me asking me if we were fine, and than we found out what happened only a couple of kilometers away from our home.  Luckily, all friends and family are fine.Last year when I was pregnant I went there all the time to see my doctor, to see the Christmas market or go to the zoo. I'm so shocked right now that this happened, I am afraid to go to work in the city center. Every attack is a tragedy and I only can immagine what this means for the victims. All my thoughts go out to them....

11 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Terrorist attacks are hardly new reality.  It is just the tactics, methods, and the numbers aware of those who are murdered that differ.

In a weird way, this is actually comforting to me right now. I was 11 years old during 9/11, so this is the first terrorist attack that I really conciously remember. That makes it really easy to think that this is "when it all started" and that it has just gotten worse since.

Of course, on an intellectual level, I am well aware that terrorism didn't start with 9/11, and that our perception of this is colored by the fact that we now find out about terrorist attacks at the other end of the world in real time which we may never have known about just a few decades ago. But it still helps to occasionally be reminded by people older and wiser than myself who know it from experience.

--------------

The terrorist was caught last night. I was driving by exactly where he was caught either immediately before or after he was caught, though I didn't see a thing. Very scary to think about. A witness acted very heroically and actually followed the fleeing attacker on foot (at a "safe" distance) while on the phone with the police, which is how they were able to find him so quickly. They captured him and he is alive.

Death toll rose to twelve over night with 48 injured. No one really knows what to say at work today.

Thank god the terrorist was caught. My thoughts are with all the people in Berlin and I hope everyone on FJ is save!

As hard and as shocking it is to admit - it's kind of getting normal for me. I remember how shocked and terrified I was when the bombings in Paris happened. It felt for me like the terror had arrived in Europe. But now with Berlin? I was shocked and checked if the people I know there were save. And today life goes on.

Archived