IGNORED

Russian Gold Medalist Figure Skaters and a Tone Deaf Holocost performance

clueliss

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/world/article117411648.html

Because smiling faces and concentration camps go hand in hand.  (Couldn't figure out where to put this one so put it here since - well - we're dealing with bigoted, tone deaf dipwads)

There is video at the link

Sometimes even the best of intentions go awry.

That seems to be the consensus regarding the performance of gold medalist Tatiana Navka and actor Andrei Burkovsky on the Russian reality TV show “Ice Age.”

During the show, which is roughly equivalent to the U.S.’s “Dancing With The Stars,” the duo unveiled a routine they say was inspired by the Oscar-winning film “Life is Beautiful,” which is set in a Nazi concentration camp in the midst of World War II.

For their performance, Navka and Burkovsky both wore the striped uniform of concentration camp inmates, along with yellow Stars of David, used by the Nazis to identify people of Jewish heritage.

Over the course of nearly four minutes, the duo pantomimed several scenes from the movie, in which a Jewish father is taken with his young son to a concentration camp and, in an attempt to shield his child from the horrors of the Holocaust, convinces him the camp is actually a game in which he can earn points to buy a tank.

(the article goes on after this)

The Russians have had other incidents like this in skating. 

One pair did an aboriginal themed ice dance for competition one year, complete with inappropriate costumes: 

//thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2010/01/19846348-600x400.jpg

And the reigning ladies world champion is doing a Holocaust themed program this season which is raising eyebrows especially as part of the choreography is identical to previously used choreo in a very happy joyful program. 

I got some of the grand prix competitions Saturday/Sunday on TV and someone - I think Russian - is doing a 9/11 'movie music' with audio news outtakes in it.  No inappropriate but I did think - uh, okay but you do know that might be a trigger for some folks watching - right?  Apparently no.

Holy cow on the costumes in that.  

20 hours ago, clueliss said:

I got some of the grand prix competitions Saturday/Sunday on TV and someone - I think Russian - is doing a 9/11 'movie music' with audio news outtakes in it.  No inappropriate but I did think - uh, okay but you do know that might be a trigger for some folks watching - right?  Apparently no.

Holy cow on the costumes in that.  

I heard about that one and haven't seen it yet. Some American fans on the figure skating boards are not impressed with it. 

Archived