IGNORED

Franklin Graham: If Hillary Clinton Wins, Evangelical Christians Will “Lose This Country”

Toothfairy

Evangelist Franklin Graham said this week during an event hosted by the American Family Association that evangelical Christians were “on the precipice of losing the United States of America” if they didn’t vote the right way. Whichever way that might be, wink wink nudge nudge.

We’re going to lose this country,” he said, if conservatives evangelicals don’t get involved in political activism or show up at the polls.

He urged viewers to vote for the candidate who will appoint “pro-life judges” to the Supreme Court and “protect Christians.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/11/04/franklin-graham-if-hillary-clinton-wins-evangelical-christians-will-lose-this-country/

So the USA rightfully belongs to evangelical Christians now? what about that pesky freedom of religion stuff?

39 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

So the USA rightfully belongs to evangelical Christians now? what about that pesky freedom of religion stuff?

Don't you know?  That only applies to Christians (and the right kind at that).  You didn't think the founding fathers meant all religions did you?  You should know they were all Christians and this is a Christian country.  Geez, you really need a Gothard American history lesson!

12 minutes ago, Childless said:

Don't you know?  That only applies to Christians (and the right kind at that).  You didn't think the founding fathers meant all religions did you?  You should know they were all Christians and this is a Christian country.  Geez, you really need a Gothard American history lesson!

"Freedom of religion" is just 1700s talk for "Omg you guys, let's make SURE bakery owners never have to make gay wedding cakes". I thought everyone knew that.

1 hour ago, Childless said:

"Judeo-Christian" if they're feeling particularly charitable that day.

Note that for Graham, the only Christians that matter are white Christians. Maybe if white fundegelicals didn't actively try to alienate non-white Christians or be so blasé about racism, they wouldn't be in this situation. But for Graham and his ilk, non-white fetuses are the only thing that count. Non-white people, not so much.

If Hillary wins, that means Evangelical Christians will lose, huh?  Well, good. Let them lose. Rapture them up posthaste, and leave our country and world to the rest of us normal people. 
And oh yeah, the IRS should be all over Franklin Graham and all of his ilk, since there's that pesky little rule that religious institutions lose their tax-exempt status if they endorse political candidates.  

Repulsive. I've been seeing far-right Republicans on social media talk about "taking back this country" for 8 years now. And every time I see that, I think "take back the country? take it back from where? It's our country too." But clearly, to people like that, it's not our country. It doesn't belong to all of us. It's just their country. 

And I'm so tired of hearing Christian's talk about how they're losing their rights. They're not losing their rights. They can still worship whoever they want and however they want. The only thing they're losing is the ability to force their religious beliefs on other people, and that was something that never should have been theirs to begin with. 

If you feel like you're not able to freely practice your religion if you're not allowed to use that religion as a weapon against others, then it might be time to explore the possibility that you became religious for the wrong reasons. Jesus was loving and humble and non-judgmental. He wasn't a self-righteous bully who treated everyone who was different from him as the enemy. 

So is this supposed to be a threat? Bring it on, taco trucks and no more fundagelicals pushing discrimination? Utopia!

On a serious note, this election has revealed to anyone paying attention that the Christian Right rhetoric about family values and morality is a smokescreen in their quest for power

Dear Franklin Graham,

Good. You're a bunch of assholes who don't deserve to have so much say. 

Kindly fuck yourself up the ass with a rusty fork.

Lots of love,

Your Scaly Lord and Master

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

1 hour ago, PraiseDog said:

And oh yeah, the IRS should be all over Franklin Graham and all of his ilk, since there's that pesky little rule that religious institutions lose their tax-exempt status if they endorse political candidates.  

Sorry for the extra quote box I quoted the wrong post at first.  I have to disagree with the above because I've heard it turned back to black churches who also do tremendous out reach to get their parishioners to vote.  I've been seeing them going a step further even and getting buses to bring people directly from church to a polling place which may have been placed deliberately out of reach.  

Voting outreach is one thing and perfectly legal.  What is not allowed is endorsing a particular candidate from the pulpit, however that may manifest.   The IRS is not touching this with a 10-ft-pole, no matter how egregious and blatently this is ignored by various churches. 

Franklin Graham is definitely not his father.

Billy Graham - over decades - was known for visiting the White House regardless of the president's party, for praying for presidents regardless of party affiliation, for praying for the country as a whole.

Somewhere along the line, this did not get passed down from father to son.

Franklin Graham needs to understand that this is not his country to lose. We all get a say, not just Graham and his followers. 

It always chaps my ass when I hear evangelicals like Graham say, "We need to take back our country." What does that even mean? They are whinging over nothing. They can freely worship, have a crap ton of churches on every corner, receive tax exemptions, and the SCOTUS has ruled in their favor in several major cases. Hobby Lobby, anyone? They have television shows on Sunday mornings and whole networks dedicated to their religion. They have music channels on free and paid radio stations. They make really shitty movies and those movies are released nation wide. They have publishing houses that print their books and literature. Bibles are freely sold and some are placed in hotel rooms. They can educate their children through their religious schools or home schooling. They have clubs in public school they can join. There are colleges that cater to their nonsense. Sounds like they are doing just fine.

I guess Franklin is just mad he can't control everyone. 

They don't get that freedom of religion is also freedom FROM religion, so not everyone is going to worship they way that they do and that you can't force others to believe exactly what you believe.  But some of them are so simple minded, it's not surprising.

Yet he's pushing a candidate who is an adulterer, a liar, cheats business associates, lusts after his daughter, and sees no issues with sexually abusing women.  Yep.  Hypocrisy much, Franklin?  Asshole. 

I don't understand why Christians don't understand this isn't their country. We don't make laws on personal feelings. We don't make laws to cater to one group of people. What exactly are you losing Mr.Graham?

I think their all idiots because they've put their trust for a more "moral" society into a thrice divorced adulterer with three baby mamas who was pro-choice to the point of wanting his child aborted and, until the black guy won, was an avowed Democrat.  I'll laugh my ass off when they realize that all the God talk was just a front for votes and he could really care less about "religious freedom" or abortion.  Trump is a racist who was mad his party ran a black guy who was elected president.  He'll do what he can to shutdown BLM, deport foreigners, build ridiculous walls, and ban Muslims because those things feed his racism.  He won't do a thing to create jobs, mandate maternity leave, ensure everyone has healthcare, end abortion, or allow religious discrimination because those things get him nothing.  I think all these people who voted for him are going to be sorely disappointed.  In fact, if it weren't for the SC vacancies, I'd be inclined to just sit back and watch it all implode in their faces with a deep sense of satisfaction.

Archived