IGNORED

My kingdom for a nice hair dryer

seattlechic

Hey peoples, help a sister. My hair is long. As in down to my butt long. It is also dyed red in the ends, and fine. Now, I've had the same dryer for like 7 years. My hair as of lately is being a bitch full of frizzies and flyaways (I flat iron) and it's driving me bonkers.

I bought new shampoo and conditioner (Phyto something something), so we'll see if that is a hit or a miss. But, I've been reading that a good hairdryer is a good investment. Thoughts????? Recommendations???? I am willing to pay top price for something that will work!

i'm not going to be much help....i have a mid-range dryer that i use maybe five to ten minutes at a time, once a day.  it suits me and my long hair (a little longer than mid-back).  i have heard it said that professional stylists' high-end dryers are best, expensive but you get what you pay for.  a couple of salons i've been to sell some in the $100 to $150 range, and they look similar to what the staff uses.  i'll also be interested in what everyone else thinks.

Talked to my hair stylist and she said that indeed, it is worth splurging on a hair dryer. Damnit. I am in between the T3 Featherweight (I have their flat iron and love it); and the Buttercup from Drybar. I will update!

I don't dry my hair -ever!- but you are already doing two things that are drying to your hair: coloring and flat ironing.  Whatever hair dryer you get, you need to add moisture to your locks.  Deep condition regularly.  You might also consider taking an occasional break from the flat iron and have wavy hair for the day. Or two.

Some of us just embrace our curls and follow a naturally curly regimen.  YMMV, of course.  One of my curly-haired daughters not only flat irons, but bleaches her hair.  The look suits her, but her hair is fried!

I'm late to the party but I bought the babyliss pro carrera ceramix during amazon prime day last year and I swear by it! My friend and her father also have it and we all love it.

• 3 months later...

I'm also very late, and this is not personal recommendation, but Dyson has come out with a $400 hair dryer that's being touted as 'life changing' on QVC. I watched the demo and heard the spiel and it seems innovative, but I don't know if it's four hundred bucks worth of innovative.

Payments are spaced over four or more 'easy payments- no interest with a major credit card'.

One other good thing with QVC is they usually offer a money back guarantee if you're not pleased, but you do have to pay return shipping costs.

FWIW.

Hey guys, I received one of those super curlers things that suck hair in and spit out curls...I haven't tried yet because to be honest, the thing intimidates me! Any advice?  Other than getting Kiddo to come over and deal with it?

1 hour ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Hey guys, I received one of those super curlers things that suck hair in and spit out curls...I haven't tried yet because to be honest, the thing intimidates me! Any advice?  Other than getting Kiddo to come over and deal with it?

hi!  i got one of these curlers last year.  it really does work well, and it's quite easy to use.  i was a little afraid of it at first too, because i thought i'd get tangled up in it.  set aside about 30-45 minutes to play with it.  start with the lowest setting.  use really small sections of hair until you get used to it, and comb out all tangles.  make sure the hair is in that little trough on the drum, and you'll be fine.  patience will also help.   sometimes i rush a bit and put too much hair in it, but it's also pretty easy to untangle.  but with a little hairspray, the curls last all day.  have fun!!

@catlady, thank you! I'll try to practice patience with it...patience is not usually one of my virtues though. I have to rest and not talk(except with my fingers) for a few days so I'll try it out soon and let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

At the end of the story, I returned the Buttercup (holyshittttt it was heavy), and settled on the GHD pro. Love love love love. My hair is super long, and I am drying in about 10 minutes. Yay me!

• 6 months later...

In my experience with butt length hair, I think the GHD Pro is a good option for you. Also get a round brush so you can target hard to dry places, a leave in conditioner to nourish and protect hair, and a shower cap so you don't have to wash your hair every day. 

Archived