IGNORED

Christian groups are handing out these creepy ‘gay cure’ comics to children

doggie

got to love how much jesus is included in this. 

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/08/12/christian-groups-are-handing-out-these-creepy-gay-cure-comics-to-children/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

A Christian group has amended the Bible with comic books that support ‘gay cure’ therapy – and they’re giving them out to children.

The American Family Association, which is strongly opposed to LGBT rights, has partnered with Revival Fires International to give away 65,000 copies of the ‘Truth for Youth’ Bible across the US, encouraging evangelical teens to “commit to give the Bibles to their unsaved friends in school”. 

As well as a copy of the New Testament, the specially-edited Bible created by Pastor Tim Todd includes comics on subjects including homosexuality – a subject that is notably absent from the (ostensibly) original Word of God.

However, the new Bible’s teachings appear far from child-friendly.

The six-page comic appears to take place during a violent clash between stereotypically-drawn LGBT activists and Christian protesters, seeing the “queers” throwing rocks and tear gas at the Christians.

While it initially seems to be heading towards a message of tolerance towards both sides, it takes a swerve when young teenager Sebastian comes out as gay.

gay-cure-comic.jpg

the fuck is that

I'm tempted to pick up my bible (i don't even know why i own one) and try to see for myself if it actually says that (I bet it doesn't)

This is just sick. And possibly blasphemous, adding your personal ideas to the Bible. 

Seriously, the Bible is a lot of text. I'd think that if the Lord really didn't want people to love each other, there'd be some more passages about that other than one or two verses that may or may not refer to non-heterosexual relationships.

Also, I don't recall Jesus saying "love your neighbour - but, not in a gay way, hmkay?"

I don't think these creepy, crappily drawn 'comics' are going to influence anyone in the least. 

Kids today are smarter than that. 

65,000 copies of a shit comic book are cheaper to produce these days than in the past but I can't help thinking that money could have been spent in better ways... >:(

How sick.  It sounds like the bile my sister in law has spouts.  (Which has caused her to have to leave several places of employment over her views through the years, because it was either leave or be fired.)

3 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Why do these homophobic caricatures look like people from an early 80s anime, though?

These people are so out of touch that they think it's current and cool. 

What a waste of ink and paper...

"And what did Jesus have to say 

Yeah, what did He say about being gay?

Well...nothing."

(Thanks for the earworm, @PennySycamore!)

Sure, there is scientific research showing physical differences in gay and straight people, but then, we all know science is the work of Satan anyway, so that's easy to disregard.

This kind of thing hits me especially close to home because my daughter doesn't identify as straight, and she's very sensitive and also prone to depression. It breaks my heart to think of a kid like her being told these horrible things :(. I'm so happy she wasn't born into a family like that, but so sad for the kids who were.

Fuck that noise! Jesus said nothing about being gay. Nope not a word. But I see this group is creating it's own Bible complete with comics. Many Christians are offended by this.

3 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Why do these homophobic caricatures look like people from an early 80s anime, though?

They aren't good enough to be 80s anime.  Pssst, homophobic asshats, you really  need better graphics if you're going to reach the younger set.  Your welcome.  Seriously though, it's so sad that even the few thousand copies will be circulated, and preaching this ignorant kind of hate.

6 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I don't think these creepy, crappily drawn 'comics' are going to influence anyone in the least. 

Kids today are smarter than that.

Generally speaking, yes, kids today are smarter than that. But imagine a comic like this in the hands of a Duggar kid or a Bates kid or someone even more sheltered. Add the self-loathing that the gay fundie kid probably already feels and this comic could indeed do some damage.  

11 hours ago, Jucifer said:

65,000 copies of a shit comic book are cheaper to produce these days than in the past but I can't help thinking that money could have been spent in better ways... >:(

Exactly. That money could have bought a lot of food pantry meals, or mosquito nets and malaria pills, or sterile birthing supply kits, or schoolbooks, or blankets for the homeless shelter...

But they chose to spend it on distributing hate instead. That seems the opposite of Christlike. 

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

(Speaking of George Takei reminds me, where is @OkToBeTakei with her canned chicken avatar?)

I guess she's moved on to other activities.  She hasn't been here in months.  I miss her plain speaking quite often.

the fuck is that

I'm tempted to pick up my bible (i don't even know why i own one) and try to see for myself if it actually says that (I bet it doesn't)

It says that in mine, but it also says "but you were washed and sanctified by The Holy Spirit", which I've always taken to mean that God is merciful and loving and forgiving and doesn't actually give a shit. In other translations, "homosexual" is replaced with "effeminate" or "flamboyant"

A lot of conservative Christians and fundies tend to forget the historical context of this verse too. Romans liked to take prepubescent boys as "lovers", for some reason, which isn't a cool thing to be down with, so one could also interpret the many NT verses on homosexuality to be against pedophilia.

(Sorry for the rant, homosexuality in the bible is a fascinating topic for me)

ETA: this video is a great interpretation of homosexuality in the Bible http://www.matthewvines.com/transcript/

Archived