IGNORED

Trouble in Amish Paradise Documentaries

denimjumper

I spent a few hours watching all of these. I really had no idea how the Amish communities worked and what they believed until I saw these. It is a six part BBC documentary and then a follow up documentary:

and the follow up, Leaving Amish Paradise:

Edited to add I really felt sorry for that poor family. Living the Amish life didn't make them happy, or prepare them for living pretty much anywhere else. They were so used to being told what to do and not to questions, they were unprepared to make their own decisions, and seemed to fall right into the Evangelical church.

Just watched it. I agree. It was heartbreaking to see them think- but they have an amazing work ethic and drive. I think they'll do just fine.

Guest Anonymous

Don't get all het up if no-one comments immediately! :)

1 Not everyone who reads the boards is a member with posting rights

2 We have discussed it before, maybe it was on the old board.

3 This is predominantly a US board and it gets livelier later in the day than this.

:)

Don't get all het up if no-one comments immediately! :)

1 Not everyone who reads the boards is a member with posting rights

2 We have discussed it before, maybe it was on the old board.

3 This is predominantly a US board and it gets livelier later in the day than this.

:)

And some people may want to watch the documentary before they comment.

Hey, I dyed my hair Rhianna read and posted a pic in chatter and I had more than 100 views so I guess everyone who didn't comment hates it? LOL, its ok. You gotta have a thick skin to be on this board if you are going to post new topics. :whistle:

What really bugs me about this-

I saw it recommended on a fundy-lite blog (don't remember which one). The blog writer stated how great it was these people give up everything for their beliefs, even the only world they know.

Not if someone of their own religion would do the same thing to become Amish (or whatever), would it be just as great? They'd basically be doing the same thing.

Guest Anonymous

I need to get over to Chatter and see that photo. I have only seen you in your Maxwell Conference garb, and can't imagine Rhianna red with that..... ;)

I watched it just now, took a while. Was a good documentary. Sad to see the promise in his eyes destroyed by his own inability to stop following rules. Change of book, no change of MO.

Looks like they changed from Amish to Charity Christian Fellowship (Charity Ministries). That's not much of a change to me.

And some people may want to watch the documentary before they comment.

Wait, wait -- people read articles or watch videos before commenting now? This is not the Internet I know.

I really enjoyed these, thanks for the posting the links!

I thought the one guy (whose daughter had cancer) had too bubbly a personality to be Old Order Amish. I was saddened how he

turned so super fundie and mean outside of the Amish lifestyle. He's your typical hatred-filled fundie now.

I did find it sad how he thought God would just dump money on him instead of him working. I can't remember the verse but Paul stated something like "he who doesn't work doesn't eat" or something to that effect. It kind of shows fundies don't grasp much of the New Testement.

I haven't watched the second one yet, but seeing Marie with cancer was soooo sad. Especially after the dad gave away their life savings. Even if you want to do ministry THAT is never good idea.

I thought the one guy (whose daughter had cancer) had too bubbly a personality to be Old Order Amish. I was saddened how he

turned so super fundie and mean outside of the Amish lifestyle. He's your typical hatred-filled fundie now.

I did find it sad how he thought God would just dump money on him instead of him working. I can't remember the verse but Paul stated something like "he who doesn't work doesn't eat" or something to that effect. It kind of shows fundies don't grasp much of the New Testement.

I too was saddened by Ephraim's transformation from humble and hardworking to total patri-arse. The saddest moment for me was when he was on the phone trying to cut a deal for his daughter's medicine. Sad.

And now my 2 year old won't stop yelling "douchebag" and "full of crap". Hope the inlaws don't drop by anytime soon.

What got me were those lame million dollar bills with Gospel tracts on the back and the tired pitch of you're a liar, thief, blah, blah, blah. The same was done by that young girl in Deborah 13, Servant of God.

The last part where he is asking god how he is going to pay the rent I was hoping god would split the skies or set a bush on fire and say get your lazy ass to work Biouch.

Like he was not supposed to work and god has nothing better to do then support his lazy ass.

The last part where he is asking god how he is going to pay the rent I was hoping god would split the skies or set a bush on fire and say get your lazy ass to work Biouch.

Like he was not supposed to work and god has nothing better to do then support his lazy ass.

LOL!!!!

Archived