IGNORED

Prosecutors Shut Down Fake Psychic Scam

47of74

Prosecutors have shut down a fake psychic scam;

abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-prosecutors-shut-fake-psychic-scam-38993257

The defendants including two alleged psychics from France, a Canadian direct marketing company called Infogest and Hong Kong-based Destiny Research Center Ltd. have signed a consent decree barring them from using the U.S. mail to send letters claiming they can boost people's chances of inheriting money or winning the lottery, U.S. Attorney Robert Capers said.

Prosecutors said the defendants sent letters supposedly from self-described psychics Maria Duval and Patrick Guerin of France claiming that the psychics had a vision of the recipients achieving great wealth.

The letters urged the victims to buy various products and services to ensure that the foreseen good fortune came to pass.

Prosecutors said that more than 1 million Americans took the bait and sent the defendants payments totaling more than $180 million.

Who else here immediately thought of this upon receipt of this news?

Miss Cleo was exactly what I thought! Love how her accent came and went.

When I was a teenager, I answered the phone and it was a psychic hotline telling me to wait on the line for a psychic to tell me something important. (I immediately hung up.)

Miss Cleo! What a blast from the past. Didn't Dionne Warwick shill for a psych hotline back in the day?

One million people took the bait? Whaaaa? 

I always wonder if psychics really believe in their powers or if 100% of them know they are full of hooey. I guess I would find them less repellent if they actually believed they were psychic. 

Fake Psychic? I want to see one who not fake! Show me some real Psychics!I have seen Ghosts, UFO's make sense. Even Sea monsters prolly exist in form of Giant Squid but  the only humans can know the future are the ones on the Good stuff or read the future in bottom of a bottle IMHO. 

The mere fact that anyone takes seriously a line like "psychic powers can increase the chance of inheriting money" speaks very poorly of the reasoning skills of the human race.  And our greed :P

On 5/10/2016 at 0:15 PM, tabitha2 said:

Fake Psychic? I want to see one who not fake! Show me some real Psychics!I have seen Ghosts, UFO's make sense. Even Sea monsters prolly exist in form of Giant Squid but  the only humans can know the future are the ones on the Good stuff or read the future in bottom of a bottle IMHO. 

Yeah the ones who advertise are almost always fake.  That said I think I have had some odd experiences a couple times in my life - not so much with the future though.

I remember when my maternal Grandma died I was in town shopping and doing other time wasting activities when I felt a strong urge to go home right away.  I hadn't gotten any text messages or phone calls - I just felt a need to go home.  I drove home and found out that Grandma had died right about the same time I felt the need to go home.

Nearly two years ago my mom called me at work early one morning.  When I saw her number on the caller ID I somehow knew right away before I even picked up that someone in the family had died.  I was sure it was going to be my aunt who had cancer and ultimately died last September.  Instead it was an uncle who had apparently had a stroke after going to bed for the night and died a short time later at the hospital.

On May 10, 2016 at 3:14 AM, Geechee Girl said:

Miss Cleo! What a blast from the past. Didn't Dionne Warwick shill for a psych hotline back in the day?

The Psychic Friends Network.(And I think I remember Esther "Good Times" Rolle shilling for them at the end of her career.)

Archived