IGNORED

Mrs. White and "Legitimate" Families

Lisa

Is this that Lady L ydia-esq woman who is fairly poor and very odd?

That's the one. Her shtick is being patient and long-suffering despite her family's poverty and her own health issues, but pretty much every post has a barb or two against her husband (who fails to provide) or other women (who are slovenly, bad mothers, pick your fundie insult).

Edited by Lisa

thelegacyofhome.blogspot.ca/2015/10/the-illegitimate-family.htm

As always, there's a hint of cruelty behind all that (gentle smiles) and cheerful at home bullshit. If only we could go back to stigmatizing bastards like in the good old days! Then everything would be better because... Jesus?

Yeah! Lets go back to the time that women were hopelessly stuck to their abusive spouses thanks to unfair divorce laws, and a time when women couldn't receive a loan when unmarried. Sounds great!! Because there'd be less illegitimate kids that way!!

• Upvote 6

Sigh. What the heck is a (gentle smile) anyway? I hate how these people use the Erica Shupe passive-aggressive textual smilies.

• Upvote 1

Oh, Mrs White... so much vitriol wrapped in genteel language... 

That's the one. Her shtick is being patient and long-suffering despite her family's poverty and her own health issues, but pretty much every post has a barb or two against her husband (who fails to provide) or other women (who are slovenly, bad mothers, pick your fundie insult).

I feel sorry for "Mister". For all her talk about being a good and submissive wife who defers to her headship... it's all talk. She actually has very little real respect for him as a person. 

• Upvote 3

'Can you see the river?'  'Can you see Grandpa's garage?'

What am I, six?  

• Upvote 3

I just got sucked down the Mrs. White rabbit hole. What in the fresh hell did I just read?

I have read her off and on, and I think she has a touch of depression on top of what ever ongoing physical ailment she has (though the pain could be caused by the depression).... and as someone else said, I think she is really passive aggressive in her nastiness toward her husband and his failure to manage to bring in a consistent, decent income.   I find it amusing that she has written books to sell on how to live on your husband's income.  

She and Lady Lydia and Lori Alexander all are within a few years of my age, all have lived the submissive lifestyle and all seem bored, frustrated and depressed in their lives.  I can say that reading their blogs has never made me question my own life choices in favor of their version of Christian marriage. 

• Upvote 2

I also liked her post expounding on the holiness of Elvis because he sang Gospel songs with his buds.... 

Yeah, he sure was holy with all of gospel singing... never mind the pill popping and borderline-underaged sex he was partaking in at the same time. 

Edited by defraudingjezebel
  • Upvote 5

Oh my sweet lord! What in the name of...did I just read? Excuse me? Mrs. White! My parents weren't married when I was born but they got married after, where would that put me? Illegitimate I know but after that...are we a good family or a bad one? 

i wonder how she would label my child...conceived before marriage, but we'll be married by the time he makes an appearance, so will he be fully legitimate? semi-legitimate?

i wonder how she would label my child...conceived before marriage, but we'll be married by the time he makes an appearance, so will he be fully legitimate? semi-legitimate?

Legitimate I would think because you were or will be married by the time they make an appearance. 

Edited by AngelGirl8811
Wasn't clear in what I was saying. lol

I enjoyed the advice for marriage where she noted the people who owned the store on The Waltons as having a model marriage because the wife called her husband "Mr. Godsey" rather than using his first name. 

I think I will call the husband "Mr. 05" when he gets home in a bit and see how that goes. I'm guessing he's going to look at me like I've gone batshit crazy. 

After that and that post linked, I decided I don't have time for this rabbit hole today especially because her writing style is not an easy read. 

I enjoyed the advice for marriage where she noted the people who owned the store on The Waltons as having a model marriage because the wife called her husband "Mr. Godsey" rather than using his first name. 

I think I will call the husband "Mr. 05" when he gets home in a bit and see how that goes. I'm guessing he's going to look at me like I've gone batshit crazy. 

After that and that post linked, I decided I don't have time for this rabbit hole today especially because her writing style is not an easy read. 

My great-grandmother (died 1963) apparently always called her husband Mr. Smith* in conversation with others and when she addressed him. I assumed it was an old Southern thing, but maybe it's still going as just a fawning fundamentalist thing.

She sates that all these people are having kids w/o being married and to fix that they should reinstate the stigmatization of children not born to a married man and women. Lets put a big ole ‘illegitimate’ stamp on birth certificates to put the fear of g-d back into the center of family life.  

well, congrats Mrs. White you have made it to my hate list and you did it in one single blog post. 

• Upvote 2

Oh my sweet lord! What in the name of...did I just read? Excuse me? Mrs. White! My parents weren't married when I was born but they got married after, where would that put me? Illegitimate I know but after that...are we a good family or a bad one? 

You were legitimized by marriage, when your father acknowledged you were his kid! Me too! At least in the Tudor era that's how it worked.

• Upvote 1

My boyfriend shares one part of his name with Tom Riddle. In keeping with the spirit of Mrs. White's beliefs, I'll address him as Lord Voldemort and see how that goes. Surely I can't be faulted for addressing him as "Lord," right? That's totally submissive and gentle? :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 3

You were legitimized by marriage, when your father acknowledged you were his kid! Me too! At least in the Tudor era that's how it worked.

Whew! We're part of good families then, I think. I'm not sure. :( I should consult more Mrs. White I guess. 

In 1936, the first law was passed, in the state of Texas, to remove the word "illegitimate" from birth certificates.  There was opposition to this law, arguing that it would destroy the "sanctity of the home." 

Yes.  There's actually a good movie about it (with Greer Garson) called Blossoms in the Dust.  That was an admirable woman, in my books.  (So there's something good from this post.)

While it is true that our society has changed drastically since this time period, there is also some truth to the fact that a "legal" home, or one of Biblical values and morals, is more rare than not.

This whole conflation of "good" and "Christian" with legal is making my head hurt...

• Upvote 2