IGNORED

Bernie Sanders to speak at Liberty University

NotALoserLikeYou

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/250375-bernie-sanders-schedules-stop-at-liberty-university

Bernie AND fundies? My day is made.

Its website touts the event — held three a times a week at its Vines Center — as “North America’s largest weekly gathering of Christian students.†The Lynchburg News & Advance said the events frequently draw more than 12,000 people.

The speeches are also mandatory for residential, undergraduate students at Liberty.

Do students get to ask questions?

From NY Times:

“Liberty University was kind enough to invite me to address a convocation and I decided to accept,†Mr. Sanders said in a statement his spokesman provided. “It goes without saying that my views on many issues — women’s rights, gay rights, education and many other issues — are very different from the opinions of some in the Liberty University community. I think it is important, however, to see if we can reach consensus regarding the grotesque level of income and wealth inequality in our country, about the collapse of the middle class, about the high level of childhood poverty, about climate change and other issues.â€

He added: “It is very easy for a candidate to speak to people who hold the same views. It’s harder but important to reach out to others who look at the world differently. I look forward to meeting with the students and faculty of Liberty University.â€

Bernie keeps doing stuff to make me like him. Most mainstream candidates would just write of Liberty as enemy territory.

I am basically a libertarian and disagree with him on most stuff, but I think there's always benefit to being exposed to different ideas and it's awesome that LU students will be exposed to something other than Huckabee and Santorum (barf). Who knows what good it may do a few open minds there?

This is lovely! I just finished reading 'The Unlikely Disciple' and I am so hoping that those students really do get the chance to hear something new. And-- as a progressive I have long thought that we do a terrible job of reaching out to people who aren't already on our side. I hope Bernie can help bridge the gap.

I already love Bernie. That he is going to brave that bastion of fundiedom...well, my respect for him just shot up another 1000 points. Godspeed, Bernie, and give 'em hell!

Oh my.

He IS rather difficult to intimidate, so this could be fantastic.

post-11100-14452000632707_thumb.jpg

:music-deathmetal:

This could, quite possibly, be the greatest thing I've heard all week. And funniest. And least expected.

This could get SO interesting!

I already love Bernie. That he is going to brave that bastion of fundiedom...well, my respect for him just shot up another 1000 points. Godspeed, Bernie, and give 'em hell!

Forgive my ignorance, but I have an honest question. Is LU considered fundie? I only ask because I went there and didn't think it was, especially when compared to schools like Bob Jones and Pensacola Christian.

Forgive my ignorance, but I have an honest question. Is LU considered fundie? I only ask because I went there and didn't think it was, especially when compared to schools like Bob Jones and Pensacola Christian.

It depends on who you are asking. I'd consider it fundie-lite/very conservative, but that's just me.

It depends on who you are asking. I'd consider it fundie-lite/very conservative, but that's just me.

Thanks, Firiel! I can see it being called fundie-lite/very conservative way more than fundie :)

From what I read on rationalwiki they sound pretty damned fundie to me. Founded by Jerry Falwell. Required course in young earth creationism. Their think tank devoted to study of The Rapture and end-time prophecy.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Liberty_University

From what I read on rationalwiki they sound pretty damned fundie to me. Founded by Jerry Falwell. Required course in young earth creationism. Their think tank devoted to study of The Rapture and end-time prophecy.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Liberty_University

It really depends on how you define fundie and fundie-lite. I've always considered the difference more on the level of appearance. Fundie-lite folks try to fit in. Fundie folks try to stand out. Lori Alexander is fundie-lite whereas Zsu is fundie. Obviously, people use these definitions differently, though, which is totally okay.

Ooh, is this going to be streamed somewhere? I would love to watch it!

Way cool. I also wouldn't mind watching the livestream.

Certainly fundy. They run a creationist biology conference that doesn't allow intelligent design folks in because they believe in an old earth. How they got accreditation through SACS I'll never know.

They do have speakers you might not expect though. The Unlikely Disciple book mentions they brought an atheist debater to campus once to square off against the Liberty folks. He also comments that a fair number of the students were rather downcast afterwards since they felt the atheist had won the debate.

Many years back Randolph College invited Richard Dawkins in to speak, and Liberty sent a bunch of students. (They were easy to pick out in the audience- they don't dress like normal college students). I'll give them credit since they were polite and asked a number of questions. Dawkins didn't pull any punches on his answers though. One was along the lines of "if you were taught that in college you need to transfer to a better school."

Certainly fundy. They run a creationist biology conference that doesn't allow intelligent design folks in because they believe in an old earth. How they got accreditation through SACS I'll never know.

They do have speakers you might not expect though. The Unlikely Disciple book mentions they brought an atheist debater to campus once to square off against the Liberty folks. He also comments that a fair number of the students were rather downcast afterwards since they felt the atheist had won the debate.

Many years back Randolph College invited Richard Dawkins in to speak, and Liberty sent a bunch of students. (They were easy to pick out in the audience- they don't dress like normal college students). I'll give them credit since they were polite and asked a number of questions. Dawkins didn't pull any punches on his answers though. One was along the lines of "if you were taught that in college you need to transfer to a better school."

Thanks, all! I guess I'm wondering if there's a difference between fundie doctrine (what I'm thinking seems to be the consensus on this thread) and fundie behavior (what I don't think is so much LU)? Behavior meaning the dress code/style and rules (for instance, LU doesn't require chaperones for dating).

It really depends on how you define fundie and fundie-lite. I've always considered the difference more on the level of appearance. Fundie-lite folks try to fit in. Fundie folks try to stand out. Lori Alexander is fundie-lite whereas Zsu is fundie. Obviously, people use these definitions differently, though, which is totally okay.

I think Liberty is definitely fundie, but they try to be "respectable," especially in terms of creating religious right leaders with superficial mainstream appeal, whereas places like Bob Jones University and Pensacola Christian College are more concerned about being separate and providing a sort of "fundie finishing school." To put it another way, there are probably plenty of Liberty graduates in the GOP machine, but I don't think the same is true of BJU or PCC graduates. However, I don't think that a "university" that teaches young earth creationism as fact should be accredited, but that's just me. :shifty-kitty:

Liberty isn't fundie to me when I look at PCC or BJU. But it's definitely crazy with their outrages rules. I'm sure they believe the earth is 6000 years old. I wonder how many students get employed.

Good for Bernie! I hope those liberty students take something from his speech.

As someone who's from VA, it's definitely viewed as fundamentalist. The rules, dress code, and social environment are far more than just mainstream conservative. Just because they aren't as fundie as BJU doesn't mean they aren't also fundie. Hell, I would also consider BYU (Mormon university) fundie, and it's nothing like BJU.

I think Bernie is well aware of what he is doing. He is showing his ability to reach across the divide for one thing. For another, how many of these students were forced to attend Liberty by their parents (and just like Senator Cruz's appearance, this will be mandatory attendance.)

As someone who's from VA, it's definitely viewed as fundamentalist. The rules, dress code, and social environment are far more than just mainstream conservative. Just because they aren't as fundie as BJU doesn't mean they aren't also fundie. Hell, I would also consider BYU (Mormon university) fundie, and it's nothing like BJU.

For me, fundamentalism of any stripe (Christianist, Islamist, Buddhist, atheist, vegan. . .) is characterized by a belief that one's way is the only way, and that anyone who believes otherwise is just. plain. wrong. As far as I'm concerned, they could walk around in string bikinis, and still be fundies if they believe that everyone else is going to hell.

atheists.png

Archived