IGNORED

Nie's family might be the Today Show's new fluff family

lilwriter85

Several days ago, NieNie posted an instagram pic of a woman photographing her kids and she said it's for the Today Show. With the Duggars' show canned, I have the bad feeling that the Today Show will now feature NieNie and her family for fluff pieces. I wonder if Nie and douche Christian are hoping to get a reality show deal.

Nie has been mentioning on occasion working on a "Secret project" on her blog. I wonder if this is what she has been hinting at.

I have a bad feeling that they're trying to get a reality show going, especially with the void left by the Duggar scandal. :angry-banghead: :head-desk:

What's so special about NieNie?

She and her husband were in a plane crash which left the pilot dead and NieNie with horrible burns all over her body while her husband fled the plane, leaving NieNie to burn inside it. Luckily she survived, although with severe injuries. I think they are Mormons and went to have a baby (their 5th?) after the accident against the warnings of her doctors.

edit: I think it was Mr. Nielson who flew the plane, with the experienced pilot sitting next to him.

Thanks for the synopsis, LOTP. I'm not familiar with most fundies of the Mormon persuasion.

She and her husband were in a plane crash which left the pilot dead and NieNie with horrible burns all over her body while her husband fled the plane, leaving NieNie to burn inside it. Luckily she survived, although with severe injuries. I think they are Mormons and went to have a baby (their 5th?) after the accident against the warnings of her doctors.

edit: I think it was Mr. Nielson who flew the plane, with the experienced pilot sitting next to him.

You forgot that she's insufferable.

I'm begging you, Today show, please be one and done with this woman and her family. She's got many streams of money and she's working tragedy for all it's worth (and then some), please don't add to her inflated self worth, k?

I haven't read much of her writing, but what I have seems to focus an awful lot on the crash. I stopped even trying with her because all I could see were the burns because all the "since the crash" "the crash blah blah" stuff kept me from getting to know her, just the crash the crash the crash. I think she needs therapy, but she's ever going to get it. I really hope there isn't a show about them.

There's a very long snark thread about nienie on gomi (getoffmyinternets). I followed and read her blog for a long time, but stopped a couple of months ago (I might go back at some point). I wouldn't call her a fundie or Mormon fundie at all.. yes, she refers to Mormonism all the time and it's a big part of her identity, but she's very 'of the world' with clothes, makeup, conspicuous consumption, etc. She seems kind of stupid (or stoned on painkillers) ... keeps putting her kids into less-than-totally-safe situations and then takes photos and includes them on the blog... things like letting them stick their heads out the sunroof while the car is moving, ride bikes with no helmets, and get their pro photos done on a boat with no lifejackets. Nothing earth-shattering, but just a series of slightly bad decisions that she seems to take pride in. Then there's her husband who campaigned against a bus route near their home, using some real elitist arguments about it. Her blog is pretty low-content, except she shills for a lot of products but doesn't disclose that she's getting any financial benefit from them. Her older daughters are adorable but hitting that early-teen stage and maybe they are cool with how they are represented on the blog but I wouldn't be surprised if they got some flack about it at school.

What a great husband! :roll: :angry-banghead: Mormons may be against divorce, but they do recognize them and sometimes approve of them. My uncle was an abusive jerk, when my aunt divorced him, the church excommunicated him and the bishop ordered him to pay child support. Since they're so patriarchal, I imagine the husband is supposed to protect his wife. Certainly, abandoning her in a burning plane doesn't qualify you as a good Mormon husband.

She and Christian also sued the city of St. Johns and the local electric company because they smashed into an electric power line when the plane crashed. I cannot find where the case was settled (I know at one point it was sent from the Maricopa County courts to the Apache County court and then sent back after an appeal). I did find this description of the accident from the National Traffic Safety Board (NTSB):

NTSB Identification: SEA08LA179

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Saturday, August 16, 2008 in St. Johns, AZ

Probable Cause Approval Date: 12/29/2009

Aircraft: CESSNA 177, registration: N3487T

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 2 Serious.

NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

The certified flight instructor (CFI), pilot undergoing instruction (PUI), and one passenger were departing from an airport with a density altitude of 8,690 feet mean sea level. The fuel tanks were filled to maximum capacity, and the estimated gross weight was about 130 pounds less than the maximum gross weight. During the takeoff, a witness at the airport observed that as the airplane traveled down the runway there was no change in engine sound. The witness further stated that as the airplane lifted out of ground effect , it did not climb any higher. It continued down the runway and at its end, the witness saw the airplane stall and turn to the left, prior to ground impact. The PUI reported that during the takeoff, “We used virtually the entire runway for takeoff.†The PUI was focused on obstacles ahead of the runway and notified the CFI that they had cleared the obstacles. The PUI indicated that the CFI then assumed control of the airplane and entered the airplane into a climb to clear additional obstacles. The PUI stated that as the flight controls were pulled back it felt like they had less available power, most likely due to the attitude of the airplane. The airplane then collided with obstacles. Post accident engine examination showed that the intake lifter for the Number 4 cylinder camshaft lobe was worn and the follower was heavily pitted. Both the intake and exhaust lifter for the Number 3 cylinder were heavily scored and the corresponding camshaft lobes were heavily worn. While the exact amount of degradation to the engine's power output could not be established, the alteration of the cam lobe profile will alter the amount and duration of the valve opening, thus affecting power output. The engine was overhauled 10 years prior to the accident and had accrued about 330 hours during this time. Although the engine's storage history for the last 10 years could not be determined, the amount of corrosion and pitting found make it highly likely that the internal engine components corroded due to inadequate lubrication resulting from lack of consistent operation. Lycoming Service Letter L180B states that, "Engines in aircraft that are flown only occasionally may not achieve normal service life because of corrosion." A Lycoming publication states that, “Corrosion is a known cause of tappet and cam lobe wear. The engines of aircraft that are not flown regularly may be extremely vulnerable to corrosion...Once started, the process is not likely to stop until it reaches a point where these parts are doing an unacceptable job.â€

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The failure of both pilots to abort the takeoff when a suitable climb rate could not be attained. Contributing to the accident was the reduction of available power due to the camshaft lobe and lifter corrosion/wear, the high density altitude, and the CFI’s inadequate supervision.

This is the sort of thing I do for a living, but I investigate computing environment failures. I don't think I could be an NTSB investigator.

Honestly I don't fault Christian for leaving her behind. If she had died, which she very nearly did, it would be better for the kids to have one living parent than for Christian to have died too trying to rescue her.

What's weird about all of that is how they've changed their story so that he went back and rescued her. That makes it look worse than if they had been honest all along.

Honestly I don't fault Christian for leaving her behind. If she had died, which she very nearly did, it would be better for the kids to have one living parent than for Christian to have died too trying to rescue her.

What's weird about all of that is how they've changed their story so that he went back and rescued her. That makes it look worse than if they had been honest all along.

In some ways, I also don't fault Christian for leaving her behind. Christian had some fault in the crash because something was wrong with plane combined with his inexperience. Prior to the crash, she had commented that if something happened to them up in the air, that she wanted a certain brother to take her kids.

I think,they changed, the story, to make, Christian look better. IIRC, a journalist called them out. NieNie's mother and other relatives were upset with Christian for awhile and maybe they thought publicly changing the story would help with relatives.

I keep checking Nie's blog and IG to see when the Today Show thing will come out. Nie's book came out in 2012 and they did a lot of publicity back then. I also wonder about the secret project like another FJer mentioned. I think it could be some kind of documentary and perhaps she will announce it on the Today Show.

When were they r on the Today Show? I remember reading about her but I didn't realize the whole story. Thanks for the information.

I'm no fan of Christian, but if I'm literally on fire, I'm probably only thinking about NOT being on fire. He suffered bad burns and injuries too and I just can't fault someone who is likely in shock for not making a certain decision.

The Today Show posted a tour of Nie's "dream home" on Facebook today.

She also posted it on her blog. Good thing I am usually at work when the Today Show is on.

Archived