IGNORED

Cracked Tackles Pensacola Christian College - Merge

happy atheist

A lot of people go because they have no other options. Their parents give them no other options. Many are too young to support themselves (I was 17, for example), and some may just have too much terror of "the world" and outsiders to know they have other options. It's really unfair to dump the blame of choosing fundy U squarely on the shoulders of kids who've been sheltered, protected, stimied and emotionally/educationally stunted their entire lives. This is basically just another way for fundy parents to F their kids over and keep them under their controlling thumbs.

Agreed.

The part that sucks is not going in with an expectation of making it in the real world but then waking up and coming out of fundidom and realizing that your degree is worth crap. I am in that situation as are a number of people I know who walked away from the IFB once we were out from under our parents and churches thumbs. Our degrees are unaccredited so there's no going to grad school to learn what we want to now instead of what we were forced to learn. We have to start over as adults as freshmen again. All the money spent on fundie college, all the work done while there to earn our way through was a complete and total waste. I just try to not think about it. I don't think schools that are unaccredited should be allowed to confirm degrees because that education is absolutely not equal to an undergrad degree from a state school.

I apologize for stirring up old wounds. What seems clear to me is not always the meaning that people take from my words.

I should finally graduate with an accredited degree this year after ten years of working a full-time job and going to school as well as a part-time job the last three years. But I was never under the impression that my Christian college degree was accredited or that it would be worth anything other than in the field of the major. Thankfully, my parents were never the "Go to college or else" type and I do agree that some parents were/are. I guess I heard enough from the pulpits about the evils of accreditation that I knew any college that passed muster wasn't accredited.

Some colleges will let you CLEP; my sibling who went to HAC CLEPped out of most of his gen eds so only had to take the classes that related to new career. My university would not allow it and it was cheaper for me to go there since I work there. And my "college" had lower standards academically than HAC or PCC. In fact, my math was an 8th grade book from A Beka and my literature was a repeat of two semesters of A Beka high school literature. I'll give them that the correspondence college was a new thing for them. Thankfully, it wasn't as expensive as HAC or PCC either.

I don't think that unaccredited fundie schools should not be allowed to give degrees in theology but PCC also has business, nursing, and law enforcement (probably others). Any business degree would be worthless. I've heard that the nursing and law enforcement programs actually are good and the nursing program I would think is accredited. HAC has a 2 year secretary program that may/may not provide practical experience, but is worthless. Those unaccredited programs that train students in occupations where they actually need an accredited degree to be employed, I have a problem with. Best case scenario is if PCC and others get accredited as it seems that is no longer such an issue in the IFB as it once was.

Archived