IGNORED

Are the Pearls beginning to feel the heat?

hoipolloi

I check the NGJ FB page now & again and there's been quite a bit of sycophantic chatter since the recent AC360 news reports (https://www.facebook.com/NoGreaterJoyMinistries).

Sample comments:

Commenter: "Today while waiting for renewal of our passports at the US Embassy in Thailand we saw a news report by CNN regarding a family who is blaming your books for the murder of their child. We are so very grieved to see the prosecution you are facing on this matter. "

Commenter: "I was sharing with some friends an article written by Michael in the magazine, on training your children. All my friends googled him right away, only to find that terrible article about the little girl's death. I've done my research, I know it's preposterous."

Here's part of a response from the NGJ people themselves:

No Greater Joy Ministries: "I encourage you to read To Train Up a Child. Nothing in the book can be used to justify the behavior of the parents who killed their 7 year old daughter. The DA’s response on CNN claimed that there was no question in his mind that the book influenced the parents to do what they did, but he gave no evidence or examples. He also mentioned the Pearls were free to write “awful things†but gives no example of awful things that were written. The CNN Report was a one-sided portrayal of a terrible event. Almost every person that has had negative comments on the book has never read it. We have thousands upon thousands of positive letters and emails praising the book from those that have read it and followed its principles....Those that properly practice the philosophy of To Train Up a Child enjoy the fruits of joy that it produces.

Bad news: the Pearls & their idiot cult members are still at it, still insisting that Lydia Schatz died because her parents "weren't doing it right."

Good news: the word seems to be out everywhere how dangerous the Pearls & their perverted teachings are.

The power of Google. You get all the info, not just what you want to hear. I hope the articles keep getting revisited so they remain among the most common information found when someone searches their name or book.

while I agree that the book does not mean to encourage beating for hours and hours, several times it is mentioned to beat the child until the desired state is reached.

Those people are pure unadulterated evil. Their followers are not much better.

Edit: because I do know the difference between there and their.

Somebody on another board I frequent recently described the Pearls as some of the worst humans on earth. The word is out there, it's just quiet. I suspect the vast majority have never heard of them up until now, and if they have they may not realize quite how frighteningly successful their books have been. Most people, I also suspect, have no idea that the whole fundie subculture exists at all. They probably think it's just occasional wacked-out groups that make the news.

I'd never seen them before that CNN story. My God what a creepy man he is! And the way Debi acted was supremely creepy as well, sitting there looking absolutely vacant -- you just know that if she doesn't, she's going to be the next one getting "spanked" or worse. (Spanking my...well, you know. A spanking is a swat or three with a bare hand. Plumbing line? That's beating, plain and simple.)

'

Archived