IGNORED

My Five Wives

Alexandra

I watch!

I actually prefer it to Sister Wives, mostly because that crazy runs too deep, like deeper than Todd Chrisley deep, and I cannot handle it. I also cannotnotNOT stand Meri or Mariah and their incessant whining. After Meri's 468th temper tantrum, I tapped out of that crazy keg and moved on to the Williams.

And, I love them.

They have just enough crazy to keep me interested, without overloading. The good thing about them is that you really have to be following to watch the drama unfold, because it's slow, subtle, and from what I can tell, honest. Then again, I really rooted for FirstWife and Rosemary to work it out, and I understood why Robyn was so upset. I mean, girl's got some sister wives...dem apples ain't always going to be even, but one can hope.

KDAgree about the ring during bankruptcy though. Le no. And also, continued prayers for Huck.

• 2 weeks later...

I also eagerly watch, too.

Reminding myself that this is TLC and reality TV (I know peeps who were on a bridal show, and the episode was heavily edited to the point of fabrication), I really like most of the Williams characters and think they're way better adjusted than the Brown characters.

Based on what I've seen, I think Brady is actually very emotionally intelligent (not to mention smart), and while no one is perfect, he seems to handle drama and turmoil much more healthily than crazy shallow dumb Kody. Judging by what I've seen of Nonie, she's pretty stunted and immature, which sadly isn't surprising given her upbringing in fundamentalist religion. I am skeptical that Paulie is as rigid or haughty as they portray her, though I think everyone's admission of a history of tension with Rosemary, plus Paulie's unfortunate resting bitch face, makes it easy for the producers to paint her as such; my guess is that she is reserved but not as extreme as we're shown. But I really like the rest of the women, and would guess that they are closer with and more fond of each other than the Brown women.

I hadn't heard about the bankruptcy - that's too bad, and I'm surprised given the theme of upward financial health for them in the current episodes. (Again, a reminder of the need to take what is shown with huge grains of salt.) Of course, with that many kids, life's got to be insanely expensive. I'm surprised, too, that their former religious community has not only not yet evicted them for breaking with the belief system, but allows them to film and be in the spotlight.

The challenges/food for thought for me with the Williamses and the Browns is a.) remembering how incredibly mediated the presentation of these people are - what we see are serious caricatures, and crafted to keep viewers; b.) not being able to imagine wanting - much less being willing - to put oneself and one's family in the spotlight in this way (I never, ever want to be famous - gah); c.) balancing my pro-choice principles with a belief that it's financially, emotionally and ecologically irresponsible to bring so many kids into this world; and d.) being completely unable to imagine sharing my husband with another wife. So this show and Sister Wives actual give me a great amount to think through and about.

Has anyone mentioned Rosemary's claim that her father, now head of the UAB, molested her? (for some reason I'd thought that they were former FLDS but it seems they were from the same, more liberal group that Sister Wives are part of)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-polygamy-g ... 13183.html

SALT LAKE CITY - One of the largest organized polygamy groups in Utah said this week it is investigating an allegation that its leader molested one of his daughters, now featured in a reality TV show.

David Watson, a spokesman for the Apostolic United Brethren, or AUB, declined to answer questions about the investigation, referring repeatedly to a news release the group sent earlier this week.

In the news release, the group acknowledged the allegations but declined to address specifics. The group, which has an estimated 7,500 followers in Utah and across the West, said it already works with a domestic violence organization and trains it leaders to spot and report abuse.

Rosemary Williams of TLC's "My Five Wives" wrote in a blog posted last month that she was molested more than two decades ago by her father, Lynn A. Thompson. Rosemary Williams says her father fondled her when she was 12 years old.

When contacted by The Associated Press last month, Thompson said the allegations were not true. He could not be reached Wednesday.

State and local authorities in Utah are unaware of any formal complaints against Thompson.

The AUB is estimated to be the second-largest polygamist church in Utah, behind Warren Jeffs' Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on the Utah-Arizona border. Unlike Jeffs' group, which has been plagued for years by allegations of abuse and child brides, the Apostolic United Brethren in Utah has a better reputation.

Rosemary Williams told The Associated Press she did not plan to file a criminal accusation or a lawsuit against her father because she doesn't think it will do any good. She said she wanted to prevent him from abusing others, especially given his recent appointment as president of the AUB.

In a second blog explaining why she came forward after so many years, she pushed back against the notion she did it for ratings for the TV show or to be in the spotlight.

Rosemary Williams' husband, Brady Williams, said Wednesday he welcomed an investigation. However, he questioned how serious AUB leaders are given that no one has reached out yet to talk with his third wife.

The Williams live outside Salt Lake City where most people belong to the group Thompson leads. They are no longer members of the group after re-evaluating their core beliefs and withdrawing during the mid-2000s.

The AUB said in its news release that it has been working to create an open dialogue with state officials because the attorney general's office stopped prosecuting plural families so long as other abuses weren't occurring. They say they are trying to foster a climate where plural families feel comfortable reporting abuses, but that it's not easy.

All of these shows are a circus act. I have to say I do like Rosemary very well but Paulie not at all. She looks like she could be mean spirited toward Rosemary and I hate that. Brady is your every day husband not at all like kooky Kody. Kody is a bit more flamboyant and dramatic. I do also think Kody is into looks when it comes to his wives. Kody has his favorite where Brady is an equal opportunity employer in the marriage bed or at least seems to be. I think between the Browns and the Brady Bunch both shows give equal balance to The best of Polygamy.

I don't watch this because I have pretty much sworn off "reality" television....any show where someone I don't know talks to a person off-camera about stuff I could care less about is not a show I want to spend time watching. (The Little Couple is my one exception) That said, I do see the promos for these shows so I have a couple of questions.

First, what is the deal with Todd Chrissley? Is he gay? What is the back story?

Then this Brady family....he filed for bankruptcy and his $300,000+ debt was cancelled this year. Has this been addressed on the show? I think it is totally relevant, especially since he is having more kids. I don't get what kind of role model he is supposed to be except as a lesson on what not to do.

I agree with toejam. One if the main thing that sticks out as a contrast between the two shows is the treatment of the wives by kody and Brady. Kody is clearly more into certain wives than others, fueling drama and adding to his total and complete douchiness. Brady genuinely seems to love and respect his wives fairly equally and is also supportive of their individual strengths and endeavors. . Whereas kody comes off at best as a clueless bafoon Brady comes off as thoughtful, willing to admit mistakes, and genuine.

Folks....We're talking about polygyny, which is the very definition of the subjugation of women. To speak favorably of Brady, because he appears to respect his five wives, is ludicrous. Respect and polygyny are a contradiction in terms.

My point is that Brady comes off a hell of a lot better than kody on camera anyway. I think he's a pretty good guy. they left the church that led them into this lifestyle. I don't agree with the teachings of that church and agree that polygyny within that religious system especially is inherently abusive. He was raised in this and continued it but then left the church. But if all parties wanted to stay in the family and life they created together...I guess i don't know what should have happened then.

Normally I think Brady isn't too bad, but when he described Paul's displeasure over the pregnancy as him being a teenager with his panties in a bunch I actually gasped out loud. Way to minimize Paul's (valid IMHO) concerns on national television, dude.

Yes. That was the only moment on the episode where I had a serious "wtf" moment.

I think i'm probably a bit sensitive to that sort of stuff because my childhood was full of getting in trouble for having feelings/having feelings invalidated, etc. But I just can't believe he said that in the interview. Poor kid.

Then this Brady family....he filed for bankruptcy and his $300,000+ debt was cancelled this year. Has this been addressed on the show? I think it is totally relevant, especially since he is having more kids. I don't get what kind of role model he is supposed to be except as a lesson on what not to do.

I was under the impression that the bankruptcy was actually a few years old and the media had just found out about it.... Maybe I am wrong, but I could have sworn someone said that bankruptcy was from 2011 or something.

EVERY TIME I turn on this show (NOT every week...), I end up turning it off because someone is sobbing or creating some other dramatics. I now call it, "My Five Whiners."

I was under the impression that the bankruptcy was actually a few years old and the media had just found out about it.... Maybe I am wrong, but I could have sworn someone said that bankruptcy was from 2011 or something.

Nope, the bankruptcy case was filed earlier this year and settled in early September. http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/09/my-five-w ... adid=hero8

Brady and Nonie's 5 year old, Tailee (yikes with some of those names!), suggested the name Satan for Nonie and Brady's baby on the way.

Brady and Nonie's 5 year old, Tailee (yikes with some of those names!), suggested the name Satan for Nonie and Brady's baby on the way.

That was pretty awesome. I like this show to a degree. I really like Rosemary. I was disappointed to see Rhonda include potty training her preschooler on the show. Why did that bit need to be included?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump a bit of an old thread, but this just started over here last week.

I like them all so much more than the Browns, who to me have very few redeeming qualities, but I don't know how Brady stands being to go-between for all five wives? Why can't these women act like adults, and just speak to one another if they have a problem instead of Wife A whining in Brady's ear, then Wive B whining in Brady's ear, and both expecting the guy to fix their day to day problems?

The first episode, Wife 1 (Paulie?) was a bit put out because Wife 4 (Nonie?) had paid a bill or something and didn't tell her, important when Paulie's job' within the family seems to be paying the bills and managing at least some of the family money. After Brady comes up with the idea that the wives approach one another reasonably, she approaches Nonie in what I thought was a calm non-threatening manner, and it all went to shit from there. Nonie's crying and sobbing at Brady like a mad thing - wtf? She's from Crazytown, that one :cray-cray: . So back they went to putting Brady in the middle of every mundane daily niggle.

They may be better than the Browns, but damn they're frustrating in their own ways. Haven't seen much of the kids yet, just some of the younger ones, so maybe things get better as from what you all said, they are really cool and self assured.

I recently marathoned the second season of this show (thanks youtube!) and boy, is it a completely different beast from Sister Wives. I think Brady is just as gross as Kody, albeit in a different way. Kody is a dumbo that has no idea how to properly deal with conflict but he seems genuine. Brady is a slick rick that knows how to settle conflict but seems disingenuous as hell. And they both partake in one of the most patriarchal institutions- polygyny! So they're both shifty as hell, in my eyes.

I like the wives on My 5 Wives more, though. I think Rhonda (cancer-scare lady) seems really fun and relaxed. Poor Rosemary gets lost in the shuffle and their marriage situation just amplifies her insecurities. Robyn is kind of weepy but seems sweet. Nonie seems crazy like a fox and I really disliked how she and Brady shrugged off their kids' feelings about her pregnancy. My spidey senses feel that Paulie is hiding some intense bitchiness that doesn't show itself on TV. She reminds me of my former stepmother.

I never knew about their bankruptcy though. So much for those million dollar contracts!

The wives see to me mostly to be just masters at passive aggression--"Oh, please, I'm delighted to cut your hair so you look nice for the other wife by the way I think I have cancer, but don't worry about that, just go have a good time"--oh, I don't want to intrude on your time, but I simply can't make it through the night if this window isn't fixed" --at least as shown on TV.

Poor Rosemary seems to be the only one who not only isn't a master manipulator, but doesn't want to be. I just hope that's because of her real character and not that she feels she has to get along because she thinks she isn't the prettiest or whatever.

Archived