IGNORED

Ernest Angley: abortions, vasectomies, "anointing" MERGE

Queen Of Hearts

For anyone who isn't familiar with Ernest Angley, he is a famous TV evangelist and founder of the mega-sized Grace Cathedral located in Ohio. He is known for "healing" the sick, blind, deaf, etc. All around snake oil salesman.

He is local to me so I have heard stories about this "church" my whole life. Most not so good. Many call it a (very large) cult. It even has its own restaurant opened to the public. All about the $$$$!

Well, I am very happy to say that the local newspaper is finally exposing this fraud. Apparently there are many, many allegations of sexual abuse, Angley himself inspects the genitalia of men (and has asked very inappropriate questions of boys who have reported being molested by other leaders in the church), woman are pressured to have abortions and men are pressured to have vasectomies. Weird, sick stuff.

The story is still being published, but the paper is putting all the stories on this page. So far two parts have been published and I know another segment is due to be released tomorrow.

http://www.ohio.com/special-projects/er ... ffers-rift

(Not breaking link as it is to a newspaper.)

Just as an aside, this ministry owns their own 747! Unfortunately, they park it at the local airport that is near my house. Despite being so close to the airport, I rarely hear any plane noises thanks to MOST planes being built with noise reduction in mind. However, there is one plane that is so loud it rattles the windows. Yep, you guessed it. It is Ernest's plane. I've been told that they wanted to park it at the Cleveland airport but Cleveland wouldn't allow it because the plane violates their noise ordinances. I'd believe it! It has always annoyed me that despite all their money, the ministry refuses to do something about their plane disturbing the peace.

I was just coming here to see if anyone had posted this yet. I read both parts that have been published so far, and the allegations are sickening. I'm from Northeast Ohio, but I hadn't heard stories about Angley before.

Fondles genitalia???

Yep. In part two of the story one of the male victims of church abuse reports something VERY inappropriate that Ernest asked him when he reported it. I'd post the quote here but not sure if that is allowed since it is sort of graphic.

I had no idea he was still alive; he looked old and like he was obviously wearing a wig or a big hairpiece in the early 80's. I would have thought him long dead. Not surprised at the corruption, he always came across as the most phoney of them all to me.

I had no idea he was still alive; he looked old and like he was obviously wearing a wig or a big hairpiece in the early 80's. I would have thought him long dead. Not surprised at the corruption, he always came across as the most phoney of them all to me.

Never heard of him, but this is a man who should have at least moved to a salt and pepper toupee before now.

angley_day1.jpg

Although, I supposed he might have been a member of Devo

mozl0x-mozl0gdevocrop2.jpg

And, not wanting to hijack this thread, but I just realized the Ardnts are Devoesque...

2007_family.jpg

I was just coming here to see if anyone had posted this yet. I read both parts that have been published so far, and the allegations are sickening. I'm from Northeast Ohio, but I hadn't heard stories about Angley before.

There are going to be six parts. So all this week on Ohio.com, it will be showtime for Ernest Angley.

(I honestly thought the guy was dead.)

I never heard of him but this showed up in my FB feed.

It's awful to read yet another story of abuse in a church. It's so easy to abuse power in church situations.

I am always on my guard against it at my church. Sad to feel its necessary.

Part three is posted here:

http://www.ohio.com/special-projects/de ... s-1.531530

This guy sounds creepier than Bill Gothard. Who would have thought that was possible? Except instead of young women's feet, Angley's fetish seems to be looking about and asking about young men's genitals.

I did some Googling last night and found people all over the web making the same allegations as reported in this series from as far back as 2008. How on earth did our local media go so long before doing this investigation?

This kind of crap makes me sick. I firmly believe the majority of churches and church leaders are honest and strive to do good work. But then the wackadoodles like the ones we report on here at Free Jinger make all people who follow religion to appear to be perverted and generally idiotic.

I hope this series of articles brings down Angley and the Grace Cathedral once and for all... and he and his obnoxiously loud 747 go away for good.

i lived just down the road from grace cathedral! i remember our psych teacher told us about going to his church once to observe the types of manipulation that was used. he said one kind they used pretty well was "door in the face", by hitting everyone up for a really big donation, and then lowering and lowering the donation until it was down to $1. he said it was really interesting to see how many people donated the smaller amounts, feeling pressured to do so as he would then have everyone stand who had donated. of course, being psych students observing, they were barred from actually participating by their prof, but he said the deacons - who didn't know what they were doing - stood near them, like they were trying to physically push them for a donation when they didn't even give $1.

i lived just down the road from grace cathedral! i remember our psych teacher told us about going to his church once to observe the types of manipulation that was used. he said one kind they used pretty well was "door in the face", by hitting everyone up for a really big donation, and then lowering and lowering the donation until it was down to $1. he said it was really interesting to see how many people donated the smaller amounts, feeling pressured to do so as he would then have everyone stand who had donated. of course, being psych students observing, they were barred from actually participating by their prof, but he said the deacons - who didn't know what they were doing - stood near them, like they were trying to physically push them for a donation when they didn't even give $1.

That is disturbing...it all so very disturbing...It makes me feel icky just reading about it.

Well this is just crazy but it really shows the greed these televangelists have and the power they have over the their flock. if this guy over TV You know Gothard is far worse.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/10/13 ... rch-video/

Televangelist Ernest Angley has been accused of forcing abortions and vasectomies on his church members at Grace Cathedral. The accusations come from former members of the church, who also claim that Angley sexually abused boys.

These allegations came to a head in July, when 93-year-old Angley addressed concerns during a 2½-hour open service, which was recorded and shared with the Akron Beacon Journal. Since then, the Beacon Journal’s Bob Dyer has spent the last few months interviewing several members from Angley’s church for a six-part series.

The first past of the series was released on Sunday, and features a recording of Angley denying that he had touched a former pastor inappropriately. Angley said:

“I’m not a homosexual. God wouldn’t use a homosexual like he uses me. He calls me his prophet, and indeed I am. They called Jesus a homosexual, did you know that? And still do. Because he was with men.†(source)

Addressing the claims that Angley had told his male church members to have vasectomies, the pastor said:

“I’ve helped so many of the boys down through the years. They had their misgivings. Sure, I’d have them uncover themselves, but I did not handle them at all.

And I would tell them how that would work. And they’d have to watch it. I’d have some of them come back to me that I felt needed to. And I would tell them, I would look at them, their privates — I, so I could tell how they were swelling. I was a farm boy. We thought nothing about undressing. We didn’t know about homosexuals. We talked about women.†(source)

Becky Roadman, a former member of Grace Cathedral, revealed that “none of us have kids because he makes all the men get fixed.â€

“You’re not allowed to have babies there.†(source)

Several ex-members have also said that women were encouraged by Angley to have abortions. Former member Angelia Oborne said that Angley told her friend to think of the fetus as “a tumor.â€

“She was four months pregnant and she sat in the [abortion clinic] waiting room and told her baby that she was so sorry that she was doing this. I know another girl — she won’t come forward — but she was forced into having four abortions.†(source)

How indoctrinated do you have to be to get an abortion because your pastor told you to do it? HOW is any of this done in the name of God?

Or keeping from having treatment for cervical cancer so you can have more babies. Preacher need education so they don't do such things home made preachers are dangerous

maybe we can merge these ernest angley threads, i know there's at least one older one.

How indoctrinated do you have to be to get an abortion because your pastor told you to do it? HOW is any of this done in the name of God?

That was my first thought as well? Can you not think for yourself? These people are either super stupid, or super indoctrinated or both.

The stuff about him making the boys show him their nether regions was disgusting. He sounds like a disgusting perverted nutcase. The sad thing is, why are people listening to this guy and doing what he tells them to do?!!!! :wtf:

This, exactly this. I was contemplating the chance of my husband ever becoming so much of a true believer that he'd be ok with a man feeling him up and telling him to have a vasectomy for God. And I'm trying not to blame the victims, but for heaven sakes some of these men were adults and had been for a while. It is very much a WTF?

I was also thinking that someplace between the first abortion and the fourth, I'd have been finding some kind of contraceptive, if for no other reason than it would be cheaper and less difficult on my body. But, people get sucked into the weirdest things.... Hale Bop, Jonestown---- It would be interesting to learn what convinced them they were getting more than they were giving up to be involved with this guy.

I googled him and one person described him as "Liberace as a televangelist".

This, exactly this. I was contemplating the chance of my husband ever becoming so much of a true believer that he'd be ok with a man feeling him up and telling him to have a vasectomy for God. And I'm trying not to blame the victims, but for heaven sakes some of these men were adults and had been for a while. It is very much a WTF?

I was also thinking that someplace between the first abortion and the fourth, I'd have been finding some kind of contraceptive, if for no other reason than it would be cheaper and less difficult on my body. But, people get sucked into the weirdest things.... Hale Bop, Jonestown---- It would be interesting to learn what convinced them they were getting more than they were giving up to be involved with this guy.

I googled him and one person described him as "Liberace as a televangelist".

Liberace owned a better hairpiece and was less creepy.

Part 4 is up - He Divides and Conquers Families

http://www.ohio.com/special-projects/fo ... s-1.531860

Incidentally, this paper only lets you look at 7 pages and then they make you pay to see more. You can get around that my simply clearing your cache when you hit your 7 page limit. :)

Apparently tomorrow's article will feature large donations and that awful, noisy 747 I hate so much!

Part 4 is up - He Divides and Conquers Families

http://www.ohio.com/special-projects/fo ... s-1.531860

Incidentally, this paper only lets you look at 7 pages and then they make you pay to see more. You can get around that my simply clearing your cache when you hit your 7 page limit. :)

Apparently tomorrow's article will feature large donations and that awful, noisy 747 I hate so much!

ooo, i wonder if they'll cover the "door in the face" tactic that my psych teacher talked about! i wish i was in contact with him, i bet he'd be very interested in this and i'd love to have him talk about it more in depth.

Archived