IGNORED

Maxwell Retirement looming? Or just more attention whoring?

Guest purposing

Guest Anonymous

titus2.com/blog/index.php/2011/06/16/the-clock-is-ticking/

I can't see them giving up such a lucrative business so soon....

Wonder if Sarah is a-courtin'? When she's married off I don't suppose she'll be in the family business any more.

Although there probably is a degree of attention whoring there; come and see the Maxwells before it's too late!

I vote attention whoring. If the younger kids take as long to court and marry as the older ones (well Nathan was only 24, I guess), it'll be awhile before we see the last of the travelin' Maxwells.

Even so, I imagine they will find a way to continue with these sessions in one form or another, even if it's just Teri and Steve in a van.

As anniec says, I can't see them giving up such a lucrative business.

Although if they can't travel anymore, their music cds are so wonderful, they could probably just live on the proceeds of those/sarcasm

Uriah has given notice. He (?) will be moving to Florida in less than a year to engage in sinful recreational activities like bridge, shuffleboard, and watching the Young and the Restless.

Can you imagine how dull their lives will be when they do stop touring?

It doesn't bare thinking about. At least Terri has some excitement now in meeting new people. What is her life going to be like when they stop?

Can you imagine how dull their lives will be when they do stop touring?

It doesn't bare thinking about. At least Terri has some excitement now in meeting new people. What is her life going to be like when they stop?

I could see it possibly going both ways. On one hand, it's possible that they'd become more isolated, but on the other hand, maybe they'd loosen up a bit. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I hope it's the latter.

Could this possibly be an indication of a courtship to come? Or courtships! They have four who are old enough to marry-Sarah, Joseph, John and Anna. Without the "children" to work the conferences, there is no way Steve could do it himself. Joseph and John do a lot of bus, computer, and electrical work. Losing the services of the boys would be huge to the travel aspect of the Maxwell business. And once a son marries, it does seem that he is allowed to step back from the family to some degree. We don't hear or see much now of Nathan or Christopher.

In my opinion, which may be wrong, this is just a way of drumming up some more business. It looks like they are trying to book extra conferences for the fall.

In my opinion, which may be wrong, this is just a way of drumming up some more business. It looks like they are trying to book extra conferences for the fall.

:text-+1: Yeah, I hate to say it, but I wouldn't get too excited by this announcement. The Maxwells are mercenary. I would guess this is coming more from "We have some weekend conferences booked, but what the heck are we going to do from Monday through Friday? We can't have fun!" than anything else, like an actual courtship on the horizon.

Guest Anonymous
Uriah has given notice. He (?) will be moving to Florida in less than a year to engage in sinful recreational activities like bridge, shuffleboard, and watching the Young and the Restless.

He'll also join the Elks and Moose clubs for the cheap beer.

I think they are lacking in bookings for their fall freak show and are looking to fill it up. They have six kids still at home, three of them girls and since Sarah is almost 30 and still there, it's not like any of them are going anywhere any time soon. I don't believe they're thinking 'retirement' any more than I believe poor Sarah will ever be the wife and mother she 'one day hopes to be if god wills it' - god can't get past daddy to allow a man near her.

That's exactly my first thought too. Though I'm sure they do have to wonder eventually about who will take over what. In the past they've mentioned how as the older sons moved out they had to sort of rearrange things.

I wish they were retiring so Sarah could finally get married, but I doubt it. I feel bad for her. I don't think they're actually retiring though. If they were, what would they do all day? pray? :pray: Not like they'd ever do anything fun, since that's evil.

Guest Anonymous

I've just looked back on the blog and this time my first thought was that it could easily be referring to poor Sarah's body clock ticking... :D

Steve is backtracking already, in the comments:

Certainly, the ministry would continue with books, articles, website and even homeschool conventions, but just not the Maxwell family conferences. Certainly, the Lord could change any of that, but those are our thoughts.

Steve

Haha, and when another poster agreed that change is inevitable, he seems to have gotten worried that his attention whoring has given the wrong impression:

Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you,†declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.â€

Lori

>>>>>>>>>>

We aren’t at that point yet, but will appreciate prayer when we get there. There have been so many times when after a trip I will receive an email that says something like “I had wanted to host a conference but …†My encouragement via the post is that if people are thinking they want to host a conference or attend one, there may not be too many years ahead. We just never know.

Steve

Fundies used to tell you to repent for you never know the hour Christ will return. Now the Maxwells tell you to book up conference spaces quickly because you never know the hour of Steve's retirement!

I will die...some day. I don't know when, but you should all take the chance now to send me lots and lots of money because your chance could be lost since no one knows the hour of my death. You wouldn't want me to live in poverty or starve when I retire in 20 years or so, would you?

Ah, so now Steve is saying there MAY not be too many YEARS ahead. Yes, attention whoring it is.

So, do the younger kids/adults have to wait for Sarah to marry before they can? What if Mr Right drops out of the sky right in front of Anna, can she get hitched? :shock:

So, do the younger kids/adults have to wait for Sarah to marry before they can? What if Mr Right drops out of the sky right in front of Anna, can she get hitched? :shock:

I think they'll go in order as the Maxwell's approach seems to be more centered on finding someone to fill a role and not so much on forming relationships with people outside of their family. Maybe I'm wrong. I can't imagine how I would know if someone was Mr. Right, though, without us at least being able to spend some time at Waffle House without many other relatives present.

Is it just me, or is Mother Maxwell's skirt a tad see-through? I think I can see her legs, but I'm not sure.

This type of thing is like saying, "Your grandparent may not be alive next year, so you should come to the holiday get-together, even though we all know what a pain in the ass your grandparent is."

What will the Maxwell parents do for income once they stop "touring"? I bet they'll still sell their overpriced organizational stuff, but will it have as much coverage as when they go on their tours? Why do I even care?

One things for damn sure. If they do "retire", those kids are never leaving the house again.

Except to go to the nursing home...and they'd better not look like they're having too much fun there.

I wonder if it "defrauds" Terri to see the little old people sitting around sipping on Pepsi.

"Better book us now, you don't know how long we'll be around, limited time offer, the clock is ticking, it's now or never..." This is no different than any other high-pressure sales pitch. Create the problem of need in others, then offer the solution.

Attention whoring, no question.

Archived