IGNORED

Hobby Lobby fires woman for taking maternity leave...

Lillybee

Public school districts aren't much better when it comes to maternity leave. In my state you can get paid family leave if you work for most employers, but most if the teachers unions pay into a different system which is exempt. Great for retirement, awful for maternity.

Public school districts aren't much better when it comes to maternity leave. In my state you can get paid family leave if you work for most employers, but most if the teachers unions pay into a different system which is exempt. Great for retirement, awful for maternity.

I'm a teacher and while I can get up to 12 weeks unpaid time off if I were to have a baby, the only way I could get paid is if I paid for short term disability insurance and that would only cover about half of my current paycheck.

I never got a "pro woman" or even "pro life" vibe from any of their actions. I get a very "pro money" vibe from them, mixed with a "you are not the boss of me, Obama" bandwagon vibe.

They were represented by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty --I believe they were selected to be a "Rosa Parks" for the anti "obamacare" religious groups.

3 Things make me believe that their deeply held beliefs are more political than religious, and not related to any corporate or personal feelings of the owners.

They sell boatloads of shit from china, a country that, if not mandates, encourages or quietly promotes abortion and infanticide of girls. IF they had issues with supporting abortion, they would have found other sources.

They invested in companies that produce the drugs they found to immoral to "allow" their employees to buy with their earned benefit of insurance. (they said they didn't know this was in their portfolio, which I call BS) :liar: :liar: :liar:

And, they had paid for these drugs before ACA, but only balked when it became politicized and could be used as an Anti Obama banner. Again, they said they didn't know these medications were included in their coverage. Again, I call BS. :lair4: :lair4: :lair4: Our tiny company has people who analyze coverage with a fine tooth comb.

The company is pro making money and anti spending money and anti Obama. That is what their deeply held beliefs are based on, from all evidence.

Good lord, what will they protest when the topic of parental leave rights in America start undergoing scrutiny and reform? And they will! If they don't, I'll be damned if I sit down and let it happen. When I was pregnant and within a month of my due date, I talked to my then job about when would be a good time to begin maternity leave. Then was told that since I had been employed less than a year that if I wanted to return I would have to apply again. I hated that job as it was (West Corps call center) so it was with great pleasure that, without skipping a beat, I informed my boss I was quitting right then and there. Fuck them. I was barely 21, single and struggling. What was the point of staying?

The maternity and paternity leave policies in the U.S. are draconian. And yet, politicians have the gall to say that the U.S. is a nation centered around family. Bull. It's a nation centered around money. It's the only thing that matters to government leaders, private sector leaders, religious leaders, etc. Money, money, money.

I never got a "pro woman" or even "pro life" vibe from any of their actions. I get a very "pro money" vibe from them, mixed with a "you are not the boss of me, Obama" bandwagon vibe.

They were represented by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty --I believe they were selected to be a "Rosa Parks" for the anti "obamacare" religious groups.

3 Things make me believe that their deeply held beliefs are more political than religious, and not related to any corporate or personal feelings of the owners.

They sell boatloads of shit from china, a country that, if not mandates, encourages or quietly promotes abortion and infanticide of girls. IF they had issues with supporting abortion, they would have found other sources.

They invested in companies that produce the drugs they found to immoral to "allow" their employees to buy with their earned benefit of insurance. (they said they didn't know this was in their portfolio, which I call BS) :liar: :liar: :liar:

And, they had paid for these drugs before ACA, but only balked when it became politicized and could be used as an Anti Obama banner. Again, they said they didn't know these medications were included in their coverage. Again, I call BS. :lair4: :lair4: :lair4: Our tiny company has people who analyze coverage with a fine tooth comb.

The company is pro making money and anti spending money and anti Obama. That is what their deeply held beliefs are based on, from all evidence.

Pretty much.

And here's the kicker: China, while they do condone some pretty abhorrent things (though they have relaxed the One Child Policy just this year, though some of that is because of stuff like the parents of the thousands of children who died in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake starting protests because they lost the only children they could ever have), gives new moms three months paid maternity leave. I work in China and haven't met my actual boss yet, because she had her baby last month and isn't coming back to work until September.

I know a woman who got fired while pregnant because she had Hyperemesis Gravidarum. She was taking too much time off to get IVs at the hospital. And afterwards she was SOL since nobody is going to hire a visibly pregnant woman. This is a woman with a college degree, at a salaried job.

I could certainly believe they didn't know what products were produced by the companies held within their specific investments. They must have hundreds of funds containing thousands of companies, and I'm sure the whole lot is managed by at least one investment company anyway. But by the same token, their insurance coverage is provided by an insurance company and not handled by them personally. They have no reason to care or even know what specific services their employees are using. It's hypocritical in the extreme to claim they care about one while letting the other slide...not that I find that surprising :shrug:

- I hate Hobby Lobby with a passion and will not darken their door, ever. Of course, this will not change anything for them because I didn't shop there to start with.

- However, there is some context here. Given the circumstances, the same thing would have happened at about a gazillion other employers. Bottom line: She had just started working there. I have seen much MUCH worse.

My own daughter, who had worked at her place for 3 years, after an UNPAID maternity leave, was sent an "I don't need you back" notice by a certified letter - her boss couldn't even answer her phone calls about exactly what time to be at work on her first day back - then he told the unemployment commission that she QUIT, and when she challenged that because she had the certified letter, he fought her unemployment claim, not once but 3 times, saying that she just quit. Of course, she had his certified letter (can we say idiot) and eventually won - after her unemployment pay was delayed for many weeks.

None of this makes it necessarily right, but - just saying.

I still hate Hobby Lobby with a passion.

I have worked at a number of places (the kind with high turnover, like retail and light industrial, pick/pack type places) that seem to favor hiring obviously pregnant women just for the fact that they can get several months' labor and know they won't have to pay a damn thing for them when the child arrives.

I'm sure they justify it in their minds as helping the woman out by giving her a job "when she really needs" it, but it's so clearly a big middle finger. Ususally the women are highly motivated and hardworkers, because #DUH. They need the friggin money.

Archived