IGNORED

Hobby Lobby fires woman for taking maternity leave...

Lillybee

Wait, so they won't help their employees prevent pregnancy, but then when they actually get pregnant they get sacked? What the everloving fuck?

They are NOT pro-baby. They are pro-PREGNANCY. Once the pregnancy is done, so is their interest in it. In fact, they would be best served if women got pregnant a lot and they and their babies died soon after birth- sort of like what life was like back in the "good old days"

How is maternity leave actually handled in the USA? Someone can give me a quick overview?

If you work for a company with more than 50 employees AND you've been there at least a year you can take up to 3 months off UNPAID and return to your job. That's it. NO provision for paid leave and you're screwed if you've been working less than a year. Hobby Lobby was within the law for firing this woman. Yup, good old family friendly USA!

That's the minimum. Some states and employers offer temporary disability.

One of my daughters has an employer who gives her four months paid and as long as she wants up to about two years unpaid.

If you work for a company with more than 50 employees AND you've been there at least a year you can take up to 3 months off UNPAID and return to your job. That's it. NO provision for paid leave and you're screwed if you've been working less than a year. Hobby Lobby was within the law for firing this woman. Yup, good old family friendly USA!

Thanks, @docmom.

That´s indeed awful practise and anti-social then, the Hobby Lobby dilemma taken in context too.

That's the minimum. Some states and employers offer temporary disability.

One of my daughters has an employer who gives her four months paid and as long as she wants up to about two years unpaid.

Right, that's the minimum required by LAW. There is no other requirement, in contrast to just about every other developed country which mandates long periods of PAID leave. My work place is more generous- we get 6 weeks paid and up to a year off unpaid, but there is NO requirement that they do this and HL was within their LEGAL rights to do this. AND IT SUCKS!

So...in other news, Hobby Lobby still hates women? Stop the presses, I am shocked! :roll:

Wait, so they won't help their employees prevent pregnancy, but then when they actually get pregnant they get sacked? What the everloving fuck?

Well, they can take it up with the SCOTUS, obviously the FMLA act is against their religious views, since she gave birth she should OBVIOUSLY be home with the baby for ever and ever...hello?

So...in other news, Hobby Lobby still hates women? Stop the presses, I am shocked! :roll:

You would think this company would want to treat woman better... I believe most of their clients are women.

Aw, the godly Hobby Lobby corporation is just trying to help put us women in our place. :roll: :roll:

The company I worked for offered up to 1 year paid maternity leave or if adopting a child. More would be granted if it was needed based on the health of mother and baby, but then you would have to have signed up for long term disability when you were hired or doing open enrollment.

Wow. I'm jealous. My company sucks. I get 43% of my pay for 8 weeks (only because I'm delivering via c-section, otherwise it would be 6 weeks) and nothing for any time I want to take beyond that up to the 12 weeks provided under FMLA. It's going to be a struggle for us since I'm the only one working right now. Damn. I really need a new job.

The disability insurance wasn't free. It was $40.00 (US) monthly.

Shortly after starting her job, Allen learned she was four months pregnant with her third child. Because she had not been working for very long, Allen did not qualify for leave under the federal Family Medical Leave Act.

- I hate Hobby Lobby with a passion and will not darken their door, ever. Of course, this will not change anything for them because I didn't shop there to start with.

- However, there is some context here. Given the circumstances, the same thing would have happened at about a gazillion other employers. Bottom line: She had just started working there. I have seen much MUCH worse.

My own daughter, who had worked at her place for 3 years, after an UNPAID maternity leave, was sent an "I don't need you back" notice by a certified letter - her boss couldn't even answer her phone calls about exactly what time to be at work on her first day back - then he told the unemployment commission that she QUIT, and when she challenged that because she had the certified letter, he fought her unemployment claim, not once but 3 times, saying that she just quit. Of course, she had his certified letter (can we say idiot) and eventually won - after her unemployment pay was delayed for many weeks.

None of this makes it necessarily right, but - just saying.

I still hate Hobby Lobby with a passion.

- I hate Hobby Lobby with a passion and will not darken their door, ever. Of course, this will not change anything for them because I didn't shop there to start with.

- However, there is some context here. Given the circumstances, the same thing would have happened at about a gazillion other employers. Bottom line: She had just started working there. I have seen much MUCH worse.

My own daughter, who had worked at her place for 3 years, after an UNPAID maternity leave, was sent an "I don't need you back" notice by a certified letter - her boss couldn't even answer her phone calls about exactly what time to be at work on her first day back - then he told the unemployment commission that she QUIT, and when she challenged that because she had the certified letter, he fought her unemployment claim, not once but 3 times, saying that she just quit. Of course, she had his certified letter (can we say idiot) and eventually won - after her unemployment pay was delayed for many weeks.

None of this makes it necessarily right, but - just saying.

I still hate Hobby Lobby with a passion.

Absolutely it would have, especially in retail. But you'd think a company who just won a Supreme Court case allowing them to uphold their "Christian" beliefs would exhibit a little Christian behavior towards people who need their help, especially women and children. I'm pretty sure Jesus had more to say on that topic than he did about abortion. Given their protests about their noble values, Hobby Lobby should have the most generous parental leave program in the country :roll:

You would think this company would want to treat woman better... I believe most of their clients are women.

So true!!

This just blows my mind. I am thrilled to live in Canada where both my husband and I can take parental leave (combined for up to a year - for 55% pay). I just cannot fathom how a company who claims to be so pro-family and pro-life could find it conscionable to fire a woman for taking time off to care for her newborn. Hypocrisy, thy name is Hobby Lobby.

They may have been within their legal rights but that still doesn't make it right. Especially since they are such a 'family company' with Christian values. Blah, blah, blah.

Thankfully, we don't have many of them around here and I've never actually been inside one. I can guarantee that never will happen.

Maybe it was just an attempt by Hobby Lobby to help the woman become a SAHM!

This way they take away her choice and make her do it... :doh:

Maybe it was just an attempt by Hobby Lobby to help the woman become a SAHM!

This way they take away her choice and make her do it... :doh:

Until she finds another job to support her children. Maybe one that provides coverage for birth control so she not only works for a living, she prevents the babies. Thus, Hobby Lobby actually loses. She goes out and does her own thing anyway, regardless of them and their mysoginistic, bible thumping policy.

They all suck. In many (most?) states, churches don't have to pay into unemployment for their employees, either. My friend worked for years, full time, for a church in California. She put in well in advance for medical leave because she was going to have an operation. A week before the operation she was fired, and she couldn't collect unemployment because churches are exempt. This was in California.

They all suck. In many (most?) states, churches don't have to pay into unemployment for their employees, either. My friend worked for years, full time, for a church in California. She put in well in advance for medical leave because she was going to have an operation. A week before the operation she was fired, and she couldn't collect unemployment because churches are exempt. This was in California.

That is so true. When I was working for social services in Calif., I once had a client who worked as a teacher for a so called Christian school who had an education degree but was paid only 1K a month and in the summer could not receive UIB because that church was exempt. It seems to show how unChristian, Christian schools are.

Archived