IGNORED

Queer as Folk

16strong

I just got done watching all 5 seasons for the first time (I'm 25 and it came out while I was in middle school, so didn't see the original airing of it), and I feel like I need to talk about it somewhere to someone. It will take quite awhile to process everything.

I almost wish I had just stopped at the end of season 4, because season 5 just took too much out of me emotionally. I am not lgbt (although it's pretty safe to say I am an ally :D ), but so much of the relationships and interactions between the characters has forever changed the way I will view the world around me. I find it weird and disconcerting that a tv show can be so impactful and life-altering.

The Brian/Justin storyline really hit home for me. I spent many years pursuing something I really loved with everything I had, only to find that when the final commitment neared, there was a huge shift in the dynamics of the relationship and I couldn't handle it. It felt so raw watching it, and way too familiar. :cry:

On another note, it's a really cool thought that as of this year, the characters would now be able to get married.

I love abd miss that show so much. It had a huge influeve on me as well. Can't even imagine what it must have been like to watch this stuff in 2000, when a lot of lgbt stuff in the States was still getting off the ground. The characters really start to become friends to you, don't they? I mean, I've seen shows that are stylistically "better", but none ever really got under my skin like that one. Will have to have a rewatch soon.

This show was also really formative for me. I watched it while it was still on, but didn't have Showtime so I waited each year for it to come to DVD. I watched it again earlier this year, and I was still so struck by it.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently re-watching the series. I watched it when it was on Showtime originally but finally just got the box set. I really love this show.

I'm currently re-watching the series. I watched it when it was on Showtime originally but finally just got the box set. I really love this show.

I'm planning on getting the box set soon, too. I first watched it on Netflix, but the music isn't original to the show, so I'd like to watch it as intended. And I still can't get over how great the character development is.

I'm planning on getting the box set soon, too. I first watched it on Netflix, but the music isn't original to the show, so I'd like to watch it as intended. And I still can't get over how great the character development is.

If you're looking to save a little money on the set, check amazon around any holiday sales. My best friend got hers for around $65-70 around Christmas time last year and I just got mine during the labor day sale for $65. Still spendy but wayyyy cheaper than normal price.

Archived