IGNORED

Kidnapped For Christ

NotALoserLikeYou

Watching this now. It's a documentary about a "school" in the Dominican Republic run by evangelicals. It's one of those "send your rebellious/gay children here so we can break their spirit" camps. It's on Showtime and will be repeating.

kidnappedforchrist.com/

It's pretty depressing. The kids can't win, they have to earn every privilege (like going to the bathroom) and rebellion is met with physical punishment and isolation.

I can't wait to see this!! I read a woman's memoir about this same school, which I believe she went to in the 80s. The book is called "Jesusland" by Julia Scheeres. Her adopted brother got sent there by their religious parents and, about a year later, she joined him there rather than go to jail for some petty crime. CRAZY.

Wow. I'd love to watch this, but I don't have a TV. Hopefully it'll end up on Netflix eventually.

This is the movie that was produced by Lance Bass (publically gay, raised christian, N-Sync member). I think it was discussed before and it's finally out. Hopefully it will make its way to Netflix soon.

She did a reddit AMA

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2asr0q/i_am_kate_s_logan_the_director_of_the_documentary/

• 1 month later...

Just watched this. Interesting and sad story. I wish they would have included some information on the parents of the kids they featured. Scary shit done to people at a very vulnerable age. I can see why the film maker came out of the experience (which was a several-years long process of filming, weathering threats of a lawsuit, re-connecting with some of the "students" several years later and some follow-up interviews) questioning her faith and identity as a Christian.

• 3 months later...

Archived