IGNORED

What the everloving....

feministxtian

This is UNREAL...

achristianhome.org/ISSUES_Christians_Face/DaughtersMarriage.htm

"My son is working in another city. I am comfortable allowing him to make unsupervised decisions regarding friends, place of worship, and leisure activities. I would not be as comfortable with a daughter of the same age. God's word indicates to me that regardless of her age, commitment to godliness, ability to discern good from evil, etc., that it is my responsibility to function as her authority until I turn that right, or burden, over to another. A transfer of authority to someone other than a husband would be unusual."

Really? The son can make unsupervised decisions because penis????

This is UNREAL...

"My son is working in another city. I am comfortable allowing him to make unsupervised decisions regarding friends, place of worship, and leisure activities. I would not be as comfortable with a daughter of the same age. God's word indicates to me that regardless of her age, commitment to godliness, ability to discern good from evil, etc., that it is my responsibility to function as her authority until I turn that right, or burden, over to another. A transfer of authority to someone other than a husband would be unusual."

Funny, that's exactly the reason I would trust a daughter over a son :wink-kitty:

Yep, it's simple (fundie) math. All True Christians know that penis > vagina.

The disclaimer at the end of the article kind of says it all:

This article was originally printed in Patriarch Magazine and is used here with permission.

:roll:

I guess this is common among Fundies. Josh D. was allowed to go to Florida alone , but Duggar females cannot even attend a home birth alone. Im like what the heck would happen there? I feel sorry for kids raised like this.

This is UNREAL...

"...God's word indicates to me that regardless of her age, commitment to godliness, ability to discern good from evil, etc., that it is my responsibility to function as her authority until I turn that right, or burden, over to another.

No. It. Doesn't.

Among other thing, I don't like that she used the term "burden". (Burden of supervising the daughter til she can turn that burden over to the poor girls husband.... Because, when her daughter gets married, the parents will say..."here, take this burden, it's yours now" ??? Well that sounds like the start of a happy wedding!

I guess this is common among Fundies. Josh D. was allowed to go to Florida alone , but Duggar females cannot even attend a home birth alone. Im like what the heck would happen there? I feel sorry for kids raised like this.

Her car could break down on the way there, and someone could rape her. The husband of the birthing lady could turn out to be a creep and molest her. I recently talked to a girl from one of the more dangerous parts of Mexico, and she said she literally wouldn't leave the house without a family member, even if she just had to go to the grocery store to buy a quart of milk. Northern Arkansas is not that kind of place at all, but once Jim Bob was held hostage in a robbery and was bound and gagged, so that could have influenced him a lot.

Her car could break down on the way there, and someone could rape her. The husband of the birthing lady could turn out to be a creep and molest her. I recently talked to a girl from one of the more dangerous parts of Mexico, and she said she literally wouldn't leave the house without a family member, even if she just had to go to the grocery store to buy a quart of milk. Northern Arkansas is not that kind of place at all, but once Jim Bob was held hostage in a robbery and was bound and gagged, so that could have influenced him a lot.

I think amongst even non fundie folks I know, parents seems to give more latitude to sons that daughters. Unfortunately, women are more likely to be victims of violence. However rather than sheltering I think it would be a better idea to have self defense courses sponsored through schools and made mandatory for all children. It's such an important skill to know how to protect yourself.

I think amongst even non fundie folks I know, parents seems to give more latitude to sons that daughters. Unfortunately, women are more likely to be victims of violence. However rather than sheltering I think it would be a better idea to have self defense courses sponsored through schools and made mandatory for all children. It's such an important skill to know how to protect yourself.

The Duggar girls need to learn more than how to throw punches; they need to learn how to say "no" to a man and mean it. I could imagine Jill or Jinger being cornered into a room by a perv saying "I need to show you exactly where I want you to touch my wife to help with the pain" then putting his hands on her, and her saying "uhh..." and smiling with a terrified look on her face.

Jana I think would smile sweetly and say "I don't let men touch me", but if he persisted I'm not sure if she'd be able to handle it. Jessa would be less sweet but still not rude. I'd want my daughter to grab his wrist, look him in the eye and say "you don't touch me and you don't come in the room alone with me!" and if he does it again to leave the house and call the police, even if the woman births alone.

Our HS does have some self defense as part of thier gym class. I also have gotten flyers for self defense classes for my daughter. I did. Of read closely enough to see if they were officially from the school or a local martial arts place offering them.

My daughter is going to a concert at the Vic in Chicago for her 16th birthday. We live on the edge of farm country and have to admit I am nervouse. I know it would be good for her to go and need to start cutting the cord a little more. Her big dream is to live in Manhatten.

I think you have to go by each kids personality to decide. My second daughter would have a hard time assertively defending herself. She seems to have less common sense, but looks like she is growing out of it some.

I am glad these classes are offers but not thrilled we need them. Also I got my daughter pepper spray becuase she likes to go on long bike rides.

(snip)

If memory from long ago criminology courses doesn't deceive me, in the UK, young men are the most likely victims of violence. For women, the greatest danger of violence lies at home and/or in relationships. So, uhm, keep your sons off the streets, and chuck your daughters out of the house? Or...no, sorry, I have no solutions. At least nothing as easy as fundie-fix-it-logic.

I second your point on self-defence. Man or woman, it's always good to have some skills in that.

Among other thing, I don't like that she used the term "burden". (Burden of supervising the daughter til she can turn that burden over to the poor girls husband.... Because, when her daughter gets married, the parents will say..."here, take this burden, it's yours now" ??? Well that sounds like the start of a happy wedding!

I guess when girls are born to families like these, the doctor says "Congratulations! It's a burden!"

The Duggar girls need to learn more than how to throw punches; they need to learn how to say "no" to a man and mean it. I could imagine Jill or Jinger being cornered into a room by a perv saying "I need to show you exactly where I want you to touch my wife to help with the pain" then putting his hands on her, and her saying "uhh..." and smiling with a terrified look on her face.

Jana I think would smile sweetly and say "I don't let men touch me", but if he persisted I'm not sure if she'd be able to handle it. Jessa would be less sweet but still not rude. I'd want my daughter to grab his wrist, look him in the eye and say "you don't touch me and you don't come in the room alone with me!" and if he does it again to leave the house and call the police, even if the woman births alone.

I think the issue here is the Oxymoron among Fundies. Unmarried females can't shop alone, but they are often sent to third world countries where there is more danger alone.I read many of these stories.

US stats show a woman has a bigger chance of getting raped by a lover than stranger. Whatever the stats, you can't live in fear. I agree men and women should learn self-defense.

http://www.911rape.org/facts-quotes/statistics

I think my husband and I would worry less with sons because of the increased violence and sexual assault against girls, and if a teen pregnancy happens, the girls are the ones who suffer most while the boys often get off the hook. In an ideal world, teen fathers would be equally involved, and there'd be no violent, but we've got to look at what's reality right now. Even adult women with dating experience fall for the wrong guys. Teenagers are generally inexperienced. We don't want our children to go through what I did.

Archived