IGNORED

Steve Maxwell thinks your family should be your hobby

SPHASH

Sorry Stevie but people are not hobbies. I will stick to Numismatics and slamming Sarah Palin on my blog as my preferred hobbies thank you very much.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't get this. Jim Bob says his kids are his hobby too, doesn't he? It just seems to be a sanctimonious way of saying they spend every waking second with their families and the rest of us are selfish and ignore our kids if we send them to public school or daycare, or let them have friends and playdates and participate in their own interests.

You know what I like? Hobbies the whole family enjoys doing together! I know, I know, my life sucks and I'm going to hell because we would rather go kayaking or bike riding than talk about our eventual gruesome deaths, but I'm willing to chance it. But I also like that we each have our own interests and activities to explore separately and no one feels guilty for doing so.

Steve wouldn't get me either, though. I registered my kiddo for an arts camp this summer in a secular setting that she's going to love, but I'm hesitant about a sports camp because it's at a church. Chew on that, Stevie.

Sorry Stevie but people are not hobbies. I will stick to Numismatics and slamming Sarah Palin on my blog as my preferred hobbies thank you very much.

How did I not know about this?!?!? Could you PM me a linky? One of my favorite hobbies is reading blogs that slam Sarah Palin. We go together like Peanut Butter and Chocolate!

Thank you! I've actually read this blog before a few years ago when I was (according to my friends and family) obsessed with SP. I prefer to think of it as being socially conscious because if she goes anywhere in politics I am actually scared for not just the US, but the world. I honestly believe that she could potentially get us into a world war :cry:

Your blog cracks me up!

Steve:

People are not hobbies. Why not think of an ACTUAL hobby, and do that with your family? Hiking is a hobby, boating, planting a garden, building furniture, painting, reading, going to movies, anything.

Kinda degrading to call your family a hobby. Like they are just something you do to pass the time, like bird watching, coin collecting, scrapboking, fundie watching and reading the comments on facebook memes. Your family is your family and a hobby is a hobby.

I like looking online at real estate in different parts of the world. I was actually wondering if that could be considered a hobby. If Steve-o can consider his family a hobby, then I feel ok with calling my online faux house hunting a hobby.

I am wondering if Steve decided that Mary's sewing was an idol and a hobby and stopped it. This might explain the mostly store bought clothes the women wear instead of the home made frumpers.

I am wondering if Steve decided that Mary's sewing was an idol and a hobby and stopped it. This might explain the mostly store bought clothes the women wear instead of the home made frumpers.

I've wondered if Mary makes dresses for Nathan's girls. Some of them look to be homemade but are very cute, I think. They have some very creative details. It would be a real shame if Mary is not allowed to foster that talent. She could do so much with her seamstress skills.

Steve:

People are not hobbies. Why not think of an ACTUAL hobby, and do that with your family? Hiking is a hobby, boating, planting a garden, building furniture, painting, reading, going to movies, anything.

Because those things are fun!

Hobbies are optional; taking care of your family is NOT optional. Hobbies are what we do when we have time to spare-- if we get busy with work or have major commitments such as remodeling the house, then the hobbies fall by the wayside because they are less important. By labeling his family as his hobby then he is basically calling them of secondary, not vital, importance.

To me a hobby is:

~ Something that is fun and relaxing but also:

~Something that I could spend money on but will do so after all "important" financial commitments are met.

~Something for which I often have to budget my time ("Not one more stitch until the dishes are done.").

~Something for which I have to practice lots of self discipline ("I'm not going to buy one more pack of paper until I've used up what I have.")

How sad if Steve puts these kinds of "rules" in place for family.

Seriously, I really wonder how many men Steve will reach with this SCOLDING & SHAMING, I'll teach you how to lead your life, series.

I like looking online at real estate in different parts of the world. I was actually wondering if that could be considered a hobby. If Steve-o can consider his family a hobby, then I feel ok with calling my online faux house hunting a hobby.

I thought I was the only one who did this! :lol: My husband thinks I'm totally crazy.

I thought I was the only one who did this! :lol: My husband thinks I'm totally crazy.

I do it too. How strange to find people who are as weird as I am. :lol:

Steve's family seems to be his hobby, and that doesn't seem to be working out too well. At least not for them. Maybe if they had hobbies other than vacuuming the cars, they might be married.

Also, a hobby is something you can just put down and come back to when you feel like it. You can't do that with kids.

Kinda degrading to call your family a hobby. Like they are just something you do to pass the time, like bird watching, coin collecting, scrapboking, fundie watching and reading the comments on facebook memes. Your family is your family and a hobby is a hobby.

Exactly. Hobbies are things you might eventually lose interest in. Hopefully your family would rate higher than "hobby" in your estimation.

Saying that your family is your hobby seems to me a way of saying "I'm anti-social and unimaginative. I have no outside interests. So I'll claim my family is my hobby."

Yet another fundie who needs to get the message: Words have meaning!

Archived