IGNORED

Hellena Post is Blogging Again

happy atheist

Hellena had her eldest daughter when she was 21. The father never seems to have been in the picture. She was working in an office in North Sydney at the time ( amazing, I know) but moved back in with her mother (who is with a Jehovahs Witness, or Mormon, or 7th day Adventist, sorry, I forget which) after Jess ( her daughter) was born. She soon embarked on her search for a lifestyle that worked for her, settling on what she terms as "radical lesbianism" by the time Jess was a toddler, at which point she moved to the Blue Mountains and became very involved with and invested in the lesbian community there. Jess even attended kindergarten.

She met Currawong (who was involved in the Melbourne anarcho-punk scene) and they embarked upon their romance (she has shared their love story in excruciatingly wordy and pretentious detail as a multi part love story called Balthazar and Nimue. And yes, she has a son named Balthazar) and they started drifting into and out of various hippie communities, birthing babies and becoming more extreme in their lifestyle and beliefs. Their eldest son attended school for a little while, but they were soon homeschooling and then unschooling their ever growing tribe.

There are heaps of dramas and falling outs with various communities in the ensuing years - I can't even start to list it, though most of it is on the blog. She seems to have been desperately seeking a community and lifestyle that she feels she fits into for most of her adult life.

All this to say - Jess (eldest child) has experienced some pretty dramatic lifestyle changes on a pretty regular basis in her life with her mum. She's now in her early 20s and seems to have a close relationship with her mother, step father and half siblings, but she left home pretty young (16 or 17) and seems to be seeking a more mainstream life than her mother's. It must be difficult for her with a complete lack of formal schooling past primary level and having drifted from community to community for most of her life. She visits Hellena regularly and supported her through her births and with new babies. She doesn't have any children of her own and doesn't seem to currently be in a relationship.

The younger kids are experiencing a different childhood - they have never known formal education or mainstream life, and most of the moving around and dramatic fallings out with communities happened when they were very young. Their life has been more stable in its own way - no dramatic changes in lifestyle and beliefs, security of a large family that certainly appears to be full of love, becoming established in a community where many share the values of their parents. Whilst I think their lack of education and exposure to mainstream values will present some issues for them, as will their very names, I don't see transitioning to adult life being as difficult for them as for Jess.

My guess, based on what I've seen in the alternative community, is that some will stay and some will go mainstream. They will probably leave home quite young (with full parental support) seeking autonomy but remain close to their family.

Hellena a few times has supported a kind of animal-based style of parenting (I'm not snarking on her parenting, I think most is pretty good), for instance "growling" at her children when they become annoying. I'm pretty darn sure she supports them leaving the pack when they grow up, and there will be no Stay At Home Daughters in Hellena's place. That alone makes her better than the fundies. The grown children will get a chance to find themselves.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been so glad that the internet doesn't have scratch n' sniff.

I wonder what Hellena would do if one of her children decided to rebel and wear deoderant.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't always understand Helena but I get the feeling that she is trying to make the best life for her family. I may not agree with all of her family choices but I do respect the fact that she is trying to meet her children's needs even if it takes her a little out of her comfort zone. She lives for her family and making them happy. She is spiritual even if she follows no religion. She is a women I may not agree with at times but can respect. She is doing the best she can with the values and money she has.

Lauren lives for herself and drags the children along because they are a source of income. I have no respect for her.

I've never been so glad that the internet doesn't have scratch n' sniff.

I wonder what Hellena would do if one of her children decided to rebel and wear deoderant.

I'm pretty sure if one of her older children chose a more conservative, dare I say "normal" way of life, as long as that child was happy and considered to be on "the right path" for them, Hellena would be just fine with it. She may not choose it for herself, but I can't see her keeping that same freedom of choice from her kids.

Edit :speeling ;)

• 1 year later...

just discovered she's back at it. I never realised she thinks the Roman Empire still exists, as evidenced in her recent homeschooling post

"Bonding is what the roman empire, who is still in control of our planet by the way, learnt early how to disrupt, break, and undo, in order to keep their conquered lands conquered." o.O

• 11 months later...

Never mind, didn't see the new topic about it. Sorry! Nothing to see here. :)

Archived