IGNORED

Colbert is Replacing Letterman...

GolightlyGrrl

I think I will tune in when he takes over. So far, I'm not a huge fan of Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show on NBC.

Honestly, this is a good move if they want more viewers (and of course they do). Colbert is like Stewart, only more outrageous.

I'm actually really excited about this development. It's really good timing for a turnover because of Fallon's version of Tonight.

I've researched the Tonight Show heavily and been a fan of Letterman's work for years. I was really excited about Fallon(because I hate Leno, Carson didn't pick him, so I can't help but hate him). Now I'm really excited for Colbert, they're going to create some good competition for one another.

I put the rest under spoiler tag as not to irritate the masses. :shifty:

I'm so happy they didn't give it to someone like Chealsea Handler. I would have much preferred they gave a late not spot to one of first if not the first female guest host, Arlene Francis(she's dead now). But for poor delightful Arlene, she hosted in the 60's under Jack Paar(and some under Carson if I'm not mistaken). NBC hated her after her program, Home**, failed capture the housewife market in the late 1950s.

**In the early 1950s you look to find promotions for the new Today Show hosted by Dave Garroway to be packaged with the Tonight Show hosted by Steve Allen and another show Home hosted by Arlene. I'm not sure why Home was cancelled, ratings is my guess. The Tonight and Today show are still on. Arlene's hour has since been decimated by some Winos in the fourth hour of the Today show. Not that I'm saying a show about housewives will do well now :lol: //sorry about the extremely informative rant

Is he going to continue doing the political shtick/character? I'm having a hard time picturing him doing a regular monologue.

• 2 weeks later...

I think he'll actually be Stephen Colbert as himself. If only for the fact that I'd bet money Comedy Central owns the rights to his character.

He's a pretty damned funny and charming guy on his own, so I'm excited. But sad that there will be no more Report. I'll lose my mind when Jon Stewart goes though. Couldn't tolerate losing him.

• 7 months later...

The Colbert Report finale was fun to watch (well, other than my being mildly disappointed that Cookie Monster didn't eat Mike Huckabee at the 4:00 minute mark-- "he's right in front of you -- get him!" :lol: ).

[bBvideo 560,340:1yq4jjd7]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUy1-JakJtE[/bBvideo]

If you want some help identifying people:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/every ... ert-report

I think this is the first time I've ever posted in QoD -- I'm afraid to come here, for fear I'll never get any work done again!

thoughtful,

I'm so glad you posted that video of Stephen and his guests singing "We'll Meet Again". I've watched it again and again and I have fun trying to identify everyone. I like it so much I have the DKos diary this was posted to Hotlisted.

ETA: Cookie Monster didn't eat Mike Huckabee because he didn't want to take a chance that he'd be poisoned. He also knew that Fuckabee wouldn't taste good either even if he wasn't poisonous.

It was surprising, the amount of people that they got. Three US Senators, one disgraced former Governor, one not-disgraced former Governor, radio hosts, extremely cool person Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Good job, Colbert. Good job.

thoughtful,

I'm so glad you posted that video of Stephen and his guests singing "We'll Meet Again". I've watched it again and again and I have fun trying to identify everyone. I like it so much I have the DKos diary this was posted to Hotlisted.

There is a pretty complete list, at this point, here:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/full-list-of ... rt-finale/

Cyndi Lauper and Gloria Steinem on the same stage :lol: Definitely kind of a mind bender to see all those greats in one place together. :shock: Alan Alda - that would have been fun to get his autograph. His book Never Have Your Dog Stuffed is just awesome. :D

Archived