IGNORED

Hannibal

bettertomarry

Anyone watch this here? I'm most of the way through the first season, though I don't care if I'm spoiled. I'm honestly sure how I feel about it? Part of me likes it, part of me thinks its ridiculous.

I recorded the series when it started airing. Finally sat down and tried to watch it one day. I couldn't get into it. It took me three weeks to watch the first episode and then after that I just deleted the rest of the episodes. I like watching Criminal Minds and thought this would be the same but it was different and I can't quite put my finger on what it was. I don't think it was boring, but something about it made me... uneasy. Not sure what word I'm looking for. Were the subsequent episodes better than the first?

Yes! There is just something I'm not wild about it. I'm always annoyed when the women could be replaced with office equipment without much change, as they could in this show. There are super interesting aspects of the show, the foodie in me adores the food styling and cooking montages. There is some overarching plot that is sort of interesting, and the Hannibal character is fascinating (especially when his true sociopathic nature comes out). You want to trust Hannibal, but you know he actually doesn't have any real emotion or attachments. I want to love this show. Its so up my alley. I'm trying to get my friend to watch it so I have someone to talk to.

I'm a huge Hannibal fan...as in I read all the books from Lecter's Lithuanian childhood ( Hannibal Rising, which gives some backstory all the way from the 1500s) to Silence of the Lambs. I think the ones who appreciate the series most will be fans like me, who can see nuances of all the books in the TV series.

I watch the episodes on NBC online. The chatter is that the hopes for the series will go all the way through Red Dragon to Silence of the Lambs...seven seasons. Right now they are already shooting Season three.

• 2 weeks later...

This is another series I've been debating (yes I am going through the On Demand menu, in case anyone wonders how/why my posts are mostly alphabetical) ;)

Thomas Harris is one of my favorite authors. I love Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. I was a bit disappointed in Hannibal after the 10 year wait (or was it 12 years...it was a long freaking time). Hannibal Rising was ok.

I can't quite figure out where in the Lecterverse, this TV series supposedly takes place and the one friend that watched some eps told me they were too gory so he stopped watching. :?

I don't have a problem with the type of material, obviously, but I tried watching the pilot episode and spent the whole time trying to figure out WHEN it was supposedly taking place and just couldn't get into it because it seemed like it didn't fit anywhere :(

I've never read the books, though maybe I should. I think I was too young to fully appreciate Silence of the Lambs when it was released and when I finally saw it, so much of it was part of the culture. I loved Red Dragon and I adored Hannibal Rising.

The episodes were surprisingly gory, especially for network television, and I don't mind that. But there is something about the show that I don't love and I feel like this show should be my favorite.

I've never read the books, though maybe I should. I think I was too young to fully appreciate Silence of the Lambs when it was released and when I finally saw it, so much of it was part of the culture. I loved Red Dragon and I adored Hannibal Rising.

The episodes were surprisingly gory, especially for network television, and I don't mind that. But there is something about the show that I don't love and I feel like this show should be my favorite.

The movie Silence of the Lambs is quite close to the book. There are 3 scenes that are different than the book, but they aren't so different that they make a book lover hate the movie. I love the book and when the movie came out, I fully expected to hate it. I was pleasantly surprised that they stayed very true to the book.

If you like the movies, I recommend reading the books (well I didn't like Hannibal, but I didn't particularly like the movie either. I thought it was a disappointing book after a 10 year wait).

• 2 weeks later...

The series is currently right before Red Dragon. In SOTL it is mentioned how Graham.... well...no spoilers :)

Archived