IGNORED

If this would work for every fundy and Facebook poster

doggie

No kidding! A woman I went to nursing school with posts all sorts of crap on facebook and I wonder if we went to the same nursing school. And how she managed to pass the boards. (Most of what she posts is medical myth!) But I have fundie lite family members who would do well to remember this also!

Yeah, they think Snopes has a liberal bias. Besides, if it sounds like it fits awesomely into your worldview, it can't be wrong!

Microwaves make you EXPLODE!

Students aren't allowed to recite the Pledge of Allegiance anymore! :o

I have an aunt on one side of the family and an uncle on the other side (I'm surrounded, I tell ya!) who insist on posting that one every few weeks. One lives in Tennessee, the other in Pennsylvania, both in areas where the Pledge is recited every. single. day. in their schools (whether the kids actually do it, I don't know, but the opportunity is certainly there). My husband teaches in a middle school, and he assures me the Pledge is said daily. My best friend's son in high school asserts the same.

Can I convince my aunt and uncle of that? Nope. :?

To be fair, I've also seen people post (obviously suspect) more liberal things on Facebook without thinking to fact check. One friend posted an article about the Pope saying atheists went to heaven because they are justified by their good works. When I pointed out that it wasn't a legitimate source and explained the (typical) approach to Christian universalism, she thanked me.

Another friend posted a story during the election that Mitt Romney's campaign slogan was the KKK slogan in the '50s or something. Despite not being a Romney fan, that just seemed like a really harmful, egregious rumor so I checked it out. When I informed her that it wasn't accurate and explained how the misunderstanding had started, she posted basically saying that she didn't care because "she knew what he meant" (meaning he stands for bad things so it's okay to misrepresent him, I guess?!).

But yeah, that really should be a commandment. I also hate when people (my conservative cousin) post propaganda as news. And I'm not even talking about Fox news (which is bad enough)... I'm talking about sites waaaaaay worse than that.

Students aren't allowed to recite the Pledge of Allegiance anymore! :o

I have an aunt on one side of the family and an uncle on the other side (I'm surrounded, I tell ya!) who insist on posting that one every few weeks. One lives in Tennessee, the other in Pennsylvania, both in areas where the Pledge is recited every. single. day. in their schools (whether the kids actually do it, I don't know, but the opportunity is certainly there). My husband teaches in a middle school, and he assures me the Pledge is said daily. My best friend's son in high school asserts the same.

Can I convince my aunt and uncle of that? Nope. :?

My aunts and uncles post that one every few weeks as well. I keep telling them that it is said every day in every district/school I have worked full time in, subbed in, visited as a consultant for an educational group...I even asked once why they think it is not. Answer: because of the Facebook meme. :angry-banghead:

My aunts and uncles post that one every few weeks as well. I keep telling them that it is said every day in every district/school I have worked full time in, subbed in, visited as a consultant for an educational group...I even asked once why they think it is not. Answer: because of the Facebook meme. :angry-banghead:

It's on the Internet, so it must be true. Bonjour! :roll:

Yeah, they think Snopes has a liberal bias. Besides, if it sounds like it fits awesomely into your worldview, it can't be wrong!

And their founders(David and Barbara Mikkelson)are JEWISH! (Except they aren't.)

I'm right wing & I haven't noticed a left wing bias on Snopes. There seems to be plenty on both sides who fall for the crazy memes though. Like coconut oil will cure EVERYTHING. Don't even get me started on the 'faith in humanity restored' crap. Its just a photo with a random feel good story added.

The stuff I used to see was a lot of was of the "scary [fake] stories to show how women can't leave their houses EVA without being a rape victim!" genre. The worst offender eventually unfriended and full-on blocked me due to my politely pointing out when something (I kept it to fake rape stories and bad medical info) was fake. The saddest part was with their line of work the importance of accuracy should have been extra important to them.

Now I see the occasional post about the Bible not being allowed in school or whatever but that's about it. Those aren't worth the argument to me. Like above, unless it's bad medical advice, an attempt to instill fear based on zilch, or something political that's simple to 100% disprove I tend to leave it alone.

The stuff I used to see was a lot of was of the "scary [fake] stories to show how women can't leave their houses EVA without being a rape victim!" genre. The worst offender eventually unfriended and full-on blocked me due to my politely pointing out when something (I kept it to fake rape stories and bad medical info) was fake. The saddest part was with their line of work the importance of accuracy should have been extra important to them.

Now I see the occasional post about the Bible not being allowed in school or whatever but that's about it. Those aren't worth the argument to me. Like above, unless it's bad medical advice, an attempt to instill fear based on zilch, or something political that's simple to 100% disprove I tend to leave it alone.

Me to a friend who posted one of those fake stories about rape: You are NOT likely to be a rape victim just for walking out your front door!

Her: So you don't think I'm pretty enough to be raped?

:pink-shock:

I had to unfriend her. It was at that moment I realized the South Park episode where Garrison thought his dad didn't love him because he was never molested has some grain of truth to some people, at least some who haven't been victimized. Her equating prettiness to rapability made me see red.

Those fake rape/theft/gang initiation stories drive me nuts. Not only because they increase the overall paranoia level, but mostly because it seems likely some idiot will read a story on Facebook about mugging people in parking lots by pretending to sell perfume and decide to try it out.

Me to a friend who posted one of those fake stories about rape: You are NOT likely to be a rape victim just for walking out your front door!

Her: So you don't think I'm pretty enough to be raped?

:pink-shock:

I had to unfriend her. It was at that moment I realized the South Park episode where Garrison thought his dad didn't love him because he was never molested has some grain of truth to some people, at least some who haven't been victimized. Her equating prettiness to rapability made me see red.

Damn, that's crazy. The retort I always see is "but we can't be too careful!" Uh, yeah, you can. Statistically rape's most likely to be by a friend or acquaintance in your home or the home of a friend. Be careful there, if you're in a parking lot watch out for bad drivers - there's your danger there. Yeah, very rarely there's a parking lot horror story but the likelihood of that is SO tiny.

I just don't understand wanting (and yes, it certainly seems to be something wanted) to live in fear every hour of every day. And is it just me or is it the people in the safest places who seem to focus so much on that?

Those fake rape/theft/gang initiation stories drive me nuts. Not only because they increase the overall paranoia level, but mostly because it seems likely some idiot will read a story on Facebook about mugging people in parking lots by pretending to sell perfume and decide to try it out.

Or in the case of the one about rapists using someone (it claimed children and senior citizens as possibilities) pretending to be distressed to lure victims, stay away from someone who really needs help.

Nothing good comes from these BS stories, as much as some may try to justify them.

"In a 2012 study in Personality and Individual Differences, Chris Carpenter, PhD, of Western Illinois University, found that people who updated their Facebook status frequently, tagged themselves often in photos and had many Facebook friends — including people whom they didn't know in real life — scored higher on a narcissistic personality inventory than people who used the site more judiciously."

I need to find the link for that, but I saved the quote, because that's been my theory for a while about the FB anomaly.

Archived