IGNORED

TN Pharmacist fired for refusing to sell Plan B

SpeakNow

Phillip Hall claims that he was fired from Walgreens for refusing to sell Plan B, but the facts make it seem like there might have been some deeper issues. Before Plan B became an over the counter drug, Hall had referred customers wishing to buy Plan B to another pharmacist.

Apparently, when the first shipment of OTC Plan B arrived at Walgreens, Hall noticed that it was mislabeled as a behind the counter drug. Rather than speaking to his supervisor about the situation, he decided to buy all of the Plan B so that no mislabeled medication would be on the shelves. To me, that seems like a really odd choice, and I wonder if he did more odd things like that that led to his getting fired.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140 ... ter-firing

Phillip Hall claims that he was fired from Walgreens for refusing to sell Plan B, but the facts make it seem like there might have been some deeper issues. Before Plan B became an over the counter drug, Hall had referred customers wishing to buy Plan B to another pharmacist.

Apparently, when the first shipment of OTC Plan B arrived at Walgreens, Hall noticed that it was mislabeled as a behind the counter drug. Rather than speaking to his supervisor about the situation, he decided to buy all of the Plan B so that no mislabeled medication would be on the shelves. To me, that seems like a really odd choice, and I wonder if he did more odd things like that that led to his getting fired.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140 ... ter-firing

I think we need to get him together with the Utah lady who has all of the t-shirts! :lol:

oh sure, they were mislabeled and he was buying them to protect customers. How convenient that he disposed of them and has no proof to such claims.

Lying is a sin :naughty:

Even if the only thing he did was refuse to sell plan B, I think he SHOULD have been fired. People wishing not to sell certain drugs should not work in settings where said drug is sold.

oh sure, they were mislabeled and he was buying them to protect customers. How convenient that he disposed of them and has no proof to such claims.

Lying is a sin :naughty:

I totally agree. No one buys an entire pharmacy's supply of Plan B. Especially when a labeling problem could have easily been corrected. Plan B isn't cheap either, makes me wonder how much money this guy stashed away for circumstances like this one. You know, just in case people's souls need saving from evil baby killing medicine.

Even if the only thing he did was refuse to sell plan B, I think he SHOULD have been fired. People wishing not to sell certain drugs should not work in settings where said drug is sold.

Agree!

Who are the people who have hundreds (probably thousands for a case of Plan B - it retails for around $25 a pop around here) of dollars to buy stuff just so other people can't have it? Jeebus. If you want to give your money away for a cause, why don't you donate to the animal shelter/children's hospital/friggin' village green conservation society?

Who are the people who have hundreds (probably thousands for a case of Plan B - it retails for around $25 a pop around here) of dollars to buy stuff just so other people can't have it?

A generous grant from the Be An Asshole Foundation?

Take out the Plan B. Store receives its orders of 6 widgets. Employee purchases all 6 widgets before they are placed on the shelf for customers to purchase.

What if instead of widgets they were Xboxes?

Would you shop at a store where employees keep all of new items for themselves without ever putting them out so you have a chance to purchase them?

And in this case, it says loss prevention noticed that they were unstocked. Maybe he screwed up the way they were entered into inventory and sold.

I also wonder if he paid full price, or if he took an employee discount. I think there were multiple reasons to fire him, even if the underlying reason was his refusal to sell Plan B, it's the way he refused.

" A Walgreen Co. spokesman declined to comment on pending litigation, but noted “company policy allows pharmacists and other employees to step away from completing a transaction to which they have a moral objection†and refer a customer to a colleague or manager."

Not good enough. Don't work in a field that requires you to do something against your religious beliefs or conscience. I'm never shopping at Walgreen's again.

The really ridiculous thing is that Plan B actually prevents abortions. By preventing ovulation (its primary function) it prevents unwanted pregnancies, thus lowering abortion rates. But of course, they're not really interested in the babeez, they want to punish the women.

I bet he thought that if he bought them, then it wasn't really hurting the store. I bet he *did* pay full price, thinking that he was fulfilling his moral obligations to his employer by doing so. Because people who think this way don't consider their lives as part of ethical frameworks, only if each of their own individual actions are ethical. They're not the same thing at all.

Archived