IGNORED

Is Geocentrism really a thing among fundies?

Cleopatra7

I was looking through the Puritan board, and came across this thread on geocentrism:

puritanboard.com/f60/geocentrism-81871/

I know that geocentrism is popular among many haredi Jewish sects, apparently because some of the rabbis of antiquity say so, but I didn't think there was much support among Christians. I even found this site on "Biblical Astronomy":

geocentricity.com/

The article I was looking for on the return of geocentrism in Orthodox Judaism is behind a paywall now, but here's a good article about science and Orthodox Jew in the general sense:

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/ort ... d-science/

(link not broken because it's a skeptic site)

I was looking through the Puritan board, and came across this thread on geocentrism:

puritanboard.com/f60/geocentrism-81871/

I know that geocentrism is popular among many haredi Jewish sects, apparently because some of the rabbis of antiquity say so, but I didn't think there was much support among Christians. I even found this site on "Biblical Astronomy":

geocentricity.com/

The article I was looking for on the return of geocentrism in Orthodox Judaism is behind a paywall now, but here's a good article about science and Orthodox Jew in the general sense:

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/ort ... d-science/

(link not broken because it's a skeptic site)

I seem to recall some SAHM named Tracy Hogan who was using only the Bible as her home-schooling text (also using urine to treat her own ailments), who insisted that Bible-believers must believe in a geocentric universe.

It doesn't seem like a normative position even among fundies.

Could you give me a brief description of geocentrism?

Ha, I work in a used bookstore. We just have a book come in that justifies geocentricsm from a Biblical prospective It's very thick. One of the managers and I looked it over trying to figure out if it was parody or not. It's not. We put it out in the religious/new age section. Along with the UFO conspiracy theory books.

IIRC, one of the RWNJs who ran for the GOP Presidential nod in 2008, Sam Brownback, is a geocentrist.

RWNJ= right-wing nut job

Geocentrism may be equaled on the crazy train by folks that don't believe in nuclear fusion. Believing that the sun is not powered by fusion somehow allows them to believe that the sun is only a few thousand years old.

I'm at work and can't look it up... Is geocentrism... Belief that earth is the center of the universe?

Yes. It's not been the prevailing scientific view in the West in 500 years.

IIRC, one of the RWNJs who ran for the GOP Presidential nod in 2008, Sam Brownback, is a geocentrist.

RWNJ= right-wing nut job

Geocentrism may be equaled on the crazy train by folks that don't believe in nuclear fusion. Believing that the sun is not powered by fusion somehow allows them to believe that the sun is only a few thousand years old.

Oh, God... If I knew this, I had managed to forget it.

I am still depressed from the state of the state sermon speech he have the other night.

I keep waiting for my fundie anti creationist inlaw to pipe up with this (he's already a young earther...) but so far I've not heard about it... though we aren't tight, so he wouldn't mention it to me.

.genesis-creation-proof.com/

fixedearth.com/ (first website on this I ever saw... thought it was a joke, I still sort of hope it is)

I get it after reading this thread and the stoning thread. They just want to go back to the middle ages. Let them have it, then, and boo to the worldly renaissance. Just leave me out of it, kthxbai.

I get it after reading this thread and the stoning thread. They just want to go back to the middle ages. Let them have it, then, and boo to the worldly renaissance. Just leave me out of it, kthxbai.

I'm at work and can't look it up... Is geocentrism... Belief that earth is the center of the universe?

My understanding is that geocentrism is believed by Bibilical literalists because of several quotes in the book of Joshua about God stopping the movement of the sun temporarily (suggesting it normally is in motion). Also I believe in the same book God tells Joshua that his territory will spread from where the sun rises in the east to where it sets in the west.

When you decide to take the Bible literally, the need for suspended disbelief starts to pop up in the unlikeliest of places. It's like an intellectual game of Whac-a-Mole.

Hearing a decade ago that there were STILL tetracentric believers was probably my first exposure to fundamentalist Christians. It's been a rabbit hole ever since.

If they would have only believed in Discworld, my reaction would be very different.

Long live A'Tuin!

amidiscworld1.jpg

The Puritan Board is insane, just crazy. Between stoning people and arguing about the earth being the center of the universe, these are some of the most snark worthy people online? The fact that they are very full of their own intellectual superiority makes it more fun even if they almost seem like too easy a target.

I hold to Geocentrism, and am Reformed, The Sun & Moon does indeed circuit the Immovable Earth on a Daily Basis according to Scripture,

Calvin & Luther and all The Reformers were Geocentrists.

Science be damned.

The Michelson-Morley Experiment in the 19th Century proved that the Earth was stationary.

I dont' know what experiment the poster is discussing but there is over a century of scientific research since the 1800's.

A simple observation of starlight by timelapse photography can prove the Earth does not rotate on it's Axis.

:lol:

I am not a pagan sun worshipper, this doctrine of a motionless sun at the centre of the heavens was contrived by sun god

worshippers, who wished to exalt it, please do not fall for their wiles,

you can do this by placing the sun in its God ordained position of subordinate servanthood to mankind on the Earth.

The Puritan Board is insane, just crazy. Between stoning people and arguing about the earth being the center of the universe, these are some of the most snark worthy people online? The fact that they are very full of their own intellectual superiority makes it more fun even if they almost seem like too easy a target.

Just wait till you see them get started on slavery. Equal parts horrifying and ridiculous.

If they would have only believed in Discworld, my reaction would be very different.

Long live A'Tuin!

amidiscworld1.jpg

OMG. I need this. It's amazing.

I agree that crocheted Discworld is amazing. I'll have to tell my daughter about it. She can crochet. I wonder if her SciFi loving husband is into Discworld.

RWNJ= right-wing nut job

Oh, man. There are people who don't believe in nuclear fusion? I'm gonna google it, this sounds massively entertaining.

Are any of our favourite fundies geocentrists, by any chance?

Minerva,

I''ll have to see if I can find the Alternet post from yesterday which mentioned this. If I find it, I'll post a link.

Archived