IGNORED

Pride and Prejudice engagement

memmy

Why didn't the fundies do this one?

They seem to have lots of creative and romatickie engagement stories ideas - someone stole this one from them.

They might get a bit upset over this

imgur.com/a/dGapG

The dresses are lovely, they all seem to be having fun and the couple looks happy, but personally I would absolutely hate all that audience to such a private moment.

Maybe it's just that I'm older (late twenties) than most of these girls, but all that over-the-top romance seems so fake and impersonal to me and like it's more about showing off to the world than doing something sweet for the person you love.

i think it's more of who will get talked about more - who is more memorable - more creative

this article made it to one of the popular sites (either yahoo or msn can't remember)

i know for sure that my parents would never want to participate in such circus lol

Why didn't the fundies do this one?

They seem to have lots of creative and romatickie engagement stories ideas - someone stole this one from them.

They might get a bit upset over this

imgur.com/a/dGapG

Tiffany McDonald did. But you won't find a trace of it on the interwebz because the engagement was broken, and according to James and Stacy, that was the same as divorce-- before Tiffany McDonald did it, that is. Now it's not the same as divorce anymore.

Tiffany McDonald did. But you won't find a trace of it on the interwebz because the engagement was broken, and according to James and Stacy, that was the same as divorce-- before Tiffany McDonald did it, that is. Now it's not the same as divorce anymore.

such shame! :o

:)

I'm one of those Janeites who consider Austen's novels the epitome of literary, comic, romantic, and moral perfection. However, when I saw this on the Austen blogs I was ambivalent. I immediately felt it was something fundies would do and that it's more fake and over the top than genuinely romantic. But if it works for her... (Actually, a minimalistic proposal would be more in the spirit of Austen. She liked to withdraw as narrator at the interesting moment and simply tell us, "She said just what she ought. A lady always does.")

On the other hand, I turned to mush recently reading about how a progressive Christian blogger proposed to his girlfriend in the Baylor University library that holds the letters of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I'd probably accept a Mr Collins if he thought to relate things to my beloved philosopher poet Browning.

The dresses are lovely, they all seem to be having fun and the couple looks happy, but personally I would absolutely hate all that audience to such a private moment.

Maybe it's just that I'm older (late twenties) than most of these girls, but all that over-the-top romance seems so fake and impersonal to me and like it's more about showing off to the world than doing something sweet for the person you love.

Yes how did she handle having an audience for such a private moment? If it were me, I would have freaked out and made everyone else leave especially the parents and sister. It makes me uncomfortable just thinking about having parents there. How do fundies do it?

I wouldn't typically want a public proposal (I'm a very private person), but I think I'd be okay with this. I like Jane Austen and dressing up in costume/ pretending to be a character (even though I've never really acted or cosplayed formally). I'd get pretty excited that family/friends were acting out Jane Austen with me. And he took her on a walk alone for the actual proposal, so it kind-of builds some privacy into the public "performance". I don't know that I'd want my family around right after, maybe take a break for dinner alone or something.

But my mom and sister (and I) are into costumes and planning elaborate parties, so when I saw it I thought it was something my family would do if a future boyfriend suggested it, lol... so it doesn't stand out to me in itself as being too over the top or attention-grabbing. But if your family is not like that, definitely. Also, the fact that it's now a meme is kind-of making it into more of an attention-grabber for me, but not the actual plan/proposal itself.

I think that it is a very lovely engagement but not one that I would want. Being the center of attention makes me very uncomfortable so much so that I have difficulty watching videos of men publically asking their girlfriends to marry them. Yes, it is weird and I admit that I am out of step with almost every other person alive but I can't help it. I have no idea what makes me so strange.

Archived