IGNORED

Im a weirdo :)

ILoveJellybeans

Im getting a tarantula :)

I have always loved spiders, and my friend has some pet tarantulas, I think they are beautiful animals. Ive wanted one as a pet for years.

I like my spiders huge and hairy and I plan on giving it an adorable, harmless sounding name like Fluffy or Cuddles. I think Fuzzybum sounds cute too.

Anyone else keep tarantulas?

• 2 weeks later...

That is so awesome! Can I pleeeese come over to your house and hold it? I have a wolf spider, maybe they can be friends! :wink-kitty:

• 1 month later...

Do you ever watch that tarantula guy on you tube? Someone linked me one of his videos as a joke to try and scare me and I was so intrigued by it, I spent a whole day watching every single spider video he had.

Edit to add: forgot to ask the stuff I actually wanted to ask :P

What kind of tarantula is she? Very pretty. What name did you go with?

• 1 month later...
I must be even more of a weirdo, because I now have two tarantulas :)

This is my new one

tarantula3_zps31ad7217.jpg

You are going to be like Tarantualaguy in no time ;)

I can't get enough of his youtube videos, but I'd never want my own spiders I don't think. Maybe a big one like a tarantula, but some of those littler ones he has are definitely to spidery for me, if that makes sense.

What kind and name is this one?

This one is a Mexican Red Rump (B. Vagans) :) She hasn't got a name yet, I cant decide what I want to call her. She is bigger than Incy-about a 5 inch legspan, and way fatter.

Incy has grown too, she moulted and now she is bigger and leggier (and she has changed colour). She looks like such a teeny tiny cute little thing in the first photo I posted on here!

incy2_zps6ed36758.jpg

In the tarantula keeping world, it is common to have loads of them. Theres so many varieties its hard to stop at one!

I love how Tarantulaguy cares for his spiders so much :) Its kinda sweet to see someone gushing over the amazing cuteness of a tarantula as big as your head-OMG he had one that was absolutely giant! Biggest spider I have ever seen, I want to see one in real life! Im not the only one who talks to their tarantulas like they would talk to a puppy or kitten.

I love all tarantulas, from the tiny little ones (I want to get some baby ones at some point) to the huge ones.

And another pic of my new friend:

tarantula4_zps241a60a7.jpg

ILoveJellybeans, is it okay if I don't come over and play with your tarantulas? I'm sure they are nice pets, but I'm skeered of them and have been ever since I saw the trailer for Tarantula as a toddler.

Oh wow, Incy does look a lot bigger in the new photo. When I was watching the tarantualguy vids (I binge watched all his in one day), I would get so worried when they were molting after a few vids. I read a book once where the serial killer was a spider collector and all the spider facts were very spot on and I found it very interesting, even though I'm not really into spiders personally. In the book, the killer's favorite tarantula had a bad molt and it was very sad (even though the guy was quite crazy).

Incy looks very "furry," but they don't feel furry right? I remember TG telling his spiders not to "hair" him or something like that? She looks a lot furry/hairy than the new one or is that just the pictures?

I really find them fascinating when they are someone else's. I think I'd like to visit someone that had them so I could see them in person/up close, but not have to have them in my home. Still not small (house) type spiders though. I did find it amazing when TG was getting new spiders shipped to him, the way they were shipped, though. Knowing they would grow into big spiders made them less scary/creepy.

That big one he had was a blondie or something like that, IIRC. The one his wife was handling on the floor? That one was almost too big. A spider bigger than my puppy would freak me out, I think ;)

I don't mind that some people are scared of them :) Its ok :)

Incy's last moult was the first time any of mine have, and although it was interesting, it was also pretty scary because I had watched the video of Tarantulaguy helping one of his through a bad moult, and I would have no idea how to do that. I was so relieved when she came out, especially after looking into her hide and seeing a drop of tarantula blood. She had just lost a leg during moulting, it happens sometimes-she will grow it back in the next moult. Its the furthest back leg at the right, you can see that there is a gap on the left between her abdomen and legs.

No, they don't feel furry. Theyre fuzzy, and their hair is itchy-they flick hairs when they feel threatened. She looks way fuzzier on the new picture because between the two photos I got a new phone, and the camera on it is better.

incy3_zps184c6826.jpg

Yeah, Zilla the T. Blondi (Goliath Bird Eating Spider), she was huge! Id like to get one of those at some point. Think she was about 10-11 inches!

They are packed so safely, mine came in such massive boxes, considering they were so tiny (well, not really tiny-3 and 5 inches). A huge cardboard box of soft stuff, and inside, another box filled with tissues, with the spider in the middle.

Theyre addictive, bet I have at least 5 by the end of the year. Michelle Duggar should have gotten into tarantula keeping, theyre way easier to have loads of than children.

Still haven't named the new one. Im no good at naming. Think I am going to look up tarantula name ideas.

oh I see the missing leg now that you mention it. So it won't regrow until she moults again? Then it will just be back at the same size as all the other legs like it was never gone? That's kind of cool and weird at the same time.

For names I have these suggestions:

Scarlett

Evita

Marisol

Esmeralda

When they first come back, they are often a bit smaller than the other leg, but within another moult it will go back to normal.

Scarlett was one of my ideas...Im not sure whether it fits, but I will give it a try and see whether it grows on her.

awwww, they're kinda cute. And my husband would leave me if I got one :-P

(We used to have one @ work but she died [old age! I promise she was well taken care of] and I haven't pushed for a replacement (because I don't want to be responsible for making sure she's well cared for).

I took my kiddo to an exhibit at a local entomology dept recently and it took me a good 10 minutes of cajoling to get my 3 year old to even *consider* petting them...she was finally willing to watch while *I* petted them, but wouldn't touch them. SO I'm guessing she's not going to be voting spiders onto our island either.

• 3 months later...

In the end, I did go with Scarlett.

And I have three more now! Tarantulas are addictive.

My new ones are:

Humbug-a. geniculata (giant white knee)

humbug3_zps3942cc5b.jpg

He is the greediest tarantula ever, usually they go off food just before a moult, but Humbug didn't-he ate about 3 days before his last moult.

Scuttles-p. parvula (Chile gold burst)

fuzzyfriend2_zps831536ac.jpg

She is really shy, and will hide behind her hide if she notices you are watching her.

Tiger-b. smithi (Mexican red knee)

babyspider_zpsc6b18aa7.jpg

Tiger does not have red knees yet, hes only a tiny baby and is about half an inch long.

Tarantulas have personalities. Incy is very active, especially at night, and thinks everything that goes in her tank is food. Scarlett is very reclusive, sometimes you don't see her for ages, then she will spend a few days outside, then go back in her hide and block it up for a bit.

I think I know more about my tarantulas individual preferences than most fundies know about their kids.

None of them like pickles.

Aw, you're guys are really cute.

I pinky promise I know the diff between your and you're. Ugh, I didn't proofread, obviously.

Do they each need separate tanks or can they share?

No, they cant share. Tarantulas are solitary animals, who are very territorial-if you put more than one in together, they will fight. The only reason to put two together, is a male and a female if you are trying to breed them-but even then you need to supervise them closely-the females often eat the males after mating.

• 1 month later...

I am now on 6 tarantulas and counting.

pinktoe_zps8b5575c9.jpg

This one is a pinktoe, my first arboreal (climbing) tarantula, she is only little, about 2 inches at most. She needs blanket training, lol, couldn't get her into her tub, she ran right up my arm and sat on my shoulder.

• 8 months later...

So do you have an update on all your tarantula blessings? The snake blessings haven't eaten them have they? How bonded/affectionate are these guys with you?

I rescued a green iguana. She knew me. She knew I was a source for her food. That's the extent of her affection and admiration of me.

Thanks for reviving this thread, Nic. :clap: I'm also curious about the spiders. I recall y'all sent me down the rabbit hole of a guy who rehabs spiders on youtube.

RIP, Sammy :crying-blue:

I read a book once where the serial killer was a spider collector and all the spider facts were very spot on and I found it very interesting, even though I'm not really into spiders personally. In the book, the killer's favorite tarantula had a bad molt and it was very sad (even though the guy was quite crazy).

Was that book Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner? If so, she wrote a follow up book of sorts called The Perfect Neighbor.

Archived