IGNORED

Disney's Frozen - Empowered Princesses?!

CynicMom

Just wanted to mention that, as a mom with a young daughter, I LOVE the new trend in Disney princess movies. The heroines have actual magic and political POWER, achieve their goals without the necessary help of a man, and discover the love of FAMILY (not boys). There's some cute guys, but it turns out they're just distractions from the plot.

LOVE IT! Where were these princess movies when I was a kid? And the soundtrack's good too. Anyone else?

I totally agree. The first one I saw was Enchanted, and it's gotten even better with movies like Tangled and Brave.

Frozen was good, if a bit uneven. Not quite as good as Tangled, but decent. The musical numbers ran a bit too close together for my liking at the beginning (but still sounded great). The best parts of the film were easily whenever Olaf was onscreen, and I loved seeing Elsa use her ice magic - that alone would be worth the purchase of the DVD. Hans's secret about him and Anna made me wonder how the ruling council of Arrendale could have seriously believed it (the one he told the council after Anna returned to town) because there were no witnesses (trying to avoid spoilers!). Anna's climactic scene in the film was really heartbreaking, but it was the best possible resolution to hers and Elsa's problem.

I really need to see this one again, it left me with questions. When did the ice golem (Marshmallow) get his name? I don't remember him getting a name or even another mention by the end of the film. I'm also trying to figure out how and when Kristoff was adopted by trolls, when he was shown with a bunch of human men from town at the beginning of the film.

But yeah, Frozen was pretty enjoyable, and it's great that even when the princesses get help, they still have to work out the big issues for themselves. :)

Total spoiler ahead.........................................

Kristoff was not *with* the men on the ice, he was following them. He was adopted by the trolls when he stumbled upon the scene when they were healing Anna and removing her memories of Elsa's powers the first time.

LOVED Frozen. Even my 16 year old son was in love with it. Will definitely have to purchase that one for the kids. It might replace Tangled as my current modern Disney princess *might*. I love Tangled because she has a narcissistic, abusive mother too and has to learn how to be her own person and escape the abuse. I probably overly identify with her.

I really loved how Frozen played on the Princess stereotype, kept feeding the 'true love' nonsense and then OOPS, that's not the answer at all, family is the answer. That's a lesson I can stand behind Disney teaching to my daughters AND sons.

I liked Frozen a lot too, though I could have done with one or two less musical numbers (especially in the first half of the film, as Rescinded and Mended said). I like that the "act of true love" was not what you'd traditionally expect from a Disney Princess film and that there wasn't a need to pair each female character with a man.

That would explain the part about the trolls-as-family-for-Kristoff bit, then. I wandered out to get popcorn for the guys and walked back in on the tail end of that scene, then could not figure out for the life of me why Kristoff had a troll family later in the film. :lol:

I haven't seen Frozen yet, but that's a good idea for something to do with my granddaughter next week. I love musicals, but for once I'd like to see a Disney film that didn't have any songs in it. That would be rather refreshing to me, at least.

Archived