IGNORED

Dr. Jen Arnold of "The Little Couple" has cancer

ljohnson2006

Oh, that's too bad. I like their show. I think it's one of the least exploitative reality shows on TV right now. She's highly educated. They don't fabricate drama. It's just about a real family.

Oh no! I'm glad that they say the prognosis is good, but a cancer diagnosis is never easy. I hope she beats it, and quickly, so that she can continue to be a great doctor and mom.

It's stage III and not responding to chemotherapy? That doesn't sound like a bump in the road to me. Hopefully, doing the hysterectomy mostly took care of it.

I am not one who prays often, but I am praying for Jen and her family. I hope that everything works out for them.

It probably belongs in the general discussion about tv shows, etc. Not sure how much traffic is over there but there is already a Little Couple thread.

I hate, hate, hate that Jen and Bill are facing this challenge. I truly hope that the surgery and whatever post surgical treatment she is receiving knock the cancer for a loop. She has waited so long to be a mother and it would suck that Will and Zoey only had their mom for a little while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't watch this show so don't know all the details, but a friend of mine had the same form of cancer following a molar pregnancy. It has almost a 100% cure rate (in the UK at least), so, although horrendous, this lady's chances are good.

I don't watch this show so don't know all the details, but a friend of mine had the same form of cancer following a molar pregnancy. It has almost a 100% cure rate (in the UK at least), so, although horrendous, this lady's chances are good.

I think the major complication in treating her is that little people have issues that 'normal' folks with cancer don't have. I think I read somewhere that the incidence of cancer in little people is very small. I believe she is getting treatment at the children's hospital where she works since due to her size, she has more in common with pediatric patients than adults.

This cancer is so rare in little people that even with doctor calling experts around the country they didn't know for sure what dosage of chemo to give her. Then she didn't respond to it as they expected. The cancer normally has a very high cure rate in the US also, but hers is not an average case.

I think the major complication in treating her is that little people have issues that 'normal' folks with cancer don't have. I think I read somewhere that the incidence of cancer in little people is very small. I believe she is getting treatment at the children's hospital where she works since due to her size, she has more in common with pediatric patients than adults.

And the fact she is being treated at Texas Children's instead of literally next door at MD Anderson (cancer hospital people travel to from around the world) should give you an idea of how rare this case is.

I've purposely avoided this thread hoping when I opened it she'd be better. Damn. My heart breaks for her, Bill, their children, and their families. Jen's mom must be a bundle of nerves, and so scared for her daughter. I always say I'm a heathen, but I pray every night. They've all been on my prayer list since this story broke in the news. Stage III is nothing to fool around with, and I pray they get her chemo dosage right. Her children, husband, family, and patients need her. Especially her children because America is a brand new country to them and they need a mom to help support them and navigate the bumps along the way to stave off overwhelming culture shock. They're just really good people, and I pray she pulls through. She's a tough cookie, so if I were a betting woman, my money would absolutely be on her beating this.

I've purposely avoided this thread hoping when I opened it she'd be better. Damn. My heart breaks for her, Bill, their children, and their families. Jen's mom must be a bundle of nerves, and so scared for her daughter. I always say I'm a heathen, but I pray every night. They've all been on my prayer list since this story broke in the news. Stage III is nothing to fool around with, and I pray they get her chemo dosage right. Her children, husband, family, and patients need her. Especially her children because America is a brand new country to them and they need a mom to help support them and navigate the bumps along the way to stave off overwhelming culture shock. They're just really good people, and I pray she pulls through. She's a tough cookie, so if I were a betting woman, my money would absolutely be on her beating this.

I totally agree! I saw one episode or special some time back, but Jen is bright and seems mentally healthy. I hope they take a step back away from the spotlight, concentrate on family/friends and give their kids the privacy they deserve.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see a brief shot of Zoey (I assume) in the season preview at around 1:48:

You can't see her face, but it's pretty sweet to see the two kids together.

I am so relieved for them that her cancer is in remission. I definitely wish them all the best.

Her comments about the cancer sound positive but technically one must be cancer free for at least a year before they are in remission. In the People article linked ITT, it mentions a re occurrence of this type of cancer within 18 months as common and something to watch for in the coming months.

Treatment of the disease is no walk in the park and if this season can open people's eyes to what all is involved when you're fighting this monster, more power to them. I hope their obstacles are small ones and they can bond as a family of four. Zoey's absence in all of the promo materials kind of bothers me. Bill Arnold is saint IMO. Being the support to Jen and pretty much a single parent to two children under the age of 3 is phenomenal.

Her comments about the cancer sound positive but technically one must be cancer free for at least a year before they are in remission. In the People article linked ITT, it mentions a re occurrence of this type of cancer within 18 months as common and something to watch for in the coming months.

Treatment of the disease is no walk in the park and if this season can open people's eyes to what all is involved when you're fighting this monster, more power to them. I hope their obstacles are small ones and they can bond as a family of four. Zoey's absence in all of the promo materials kind of bothers me. Bill Arnold is saint IMO. Being the support to Jen and pretty much a single parent to two children under the age of 3 is phenomenal.

It depends on the kind of cancer.

Archived