IGNORED

We all love Malala. Now Meet Madison!

GolightlyGrrl

I promise I don't mean this to be handslappy, because I know we all have our "thing" that bugs us when we see it, but the title of this thread totally makes them seem like American Girl dolls instead of real people.

I promise I don't mean this to be handslappy, because I know we all have our "thing" that bugs us when we see it, but the title of this thread totally makes them seem like American Girl dolls instead of real people.

But did you actually listen to Madison's speech?

Look, Madison's smart, articulate and motivated. She speaks well from prepared notes. She's clearly from a liberal (nothing wrong with that) educated, politically savvy background, and has been trained to speak. I also think she has affected manners and an irritatingly smug and self-consciously actresssy demeanour.

Malala Yousafzai nearly died for her beliefs. She bled for them, and that comes across in her speaking. She doesn't come across as actressy, she doesn't have the advantages that this other child who is clearly from a privileged background, does, and she has a quietness that is a lot more impressive that all this flashy schooled stuff of Madison's.

I haven't met Malala, but I've met her friend, Shazia. She's just as passionate, dedicated and determined and just as unassuming. There's no flash but a lot of substance, and the maturity level is so much greater. I don't really think you can compare these two young girls who have struggled with death itself with this child who appears to have had everything going for her.

Madison is a good speaker. Malala and Shazia are so much more than that.

Look, Madison's smart, articulate and motivated. She speaks well from prepared notes. She's clearly from a liberal (nothing wrong with that) educated, politically savvy background, and has been trained to speak. I also think she has affected manners and an irritatingly smug and self-consciously actresssy demeanour.

Malala Yousafzai nearly died for her beliefs. She bled for them, and that comes across in her speaking. She doesn't come across as actressy, she doesn't have the advantages that this other child who is clearly from a privileged background, does, and she has a quietness that is a lot more impressive that all this flashy schooled stuff of Madison's.

I haven't met Malala, but I've met her friend, Shazia. She's just as passionate, dedicated and determined and just as unassuming. There's no flash but a lot of substance, and the maturity level is so much greater. I don't really think you can compare these two young girls who have struggled with death itself with this child who appears to have had everything going for her.

Madison is a good speaker. Malala and Shazia are so much more than that.

Well, excuse the fuck out of me for liking Madison. I'm so glad there is enough room in my heart to be impressed by both Malala and Madison.

No snark, honest question....what is the issue? No one is being denied the right to vote (or any other right). Kids are just being told that they can no longer register early for something that they wouldn't be able to do for another two years anyway. Am I misunderstanding? Is there more to this that I am not aware of?

ETA: I do admire/applaud any child's courage to speak out against something. I know i could not have done that at 12.

No snark, honest question....what is the issue? No one is being denied the right to vote (or any other right). Kids are just being told that they can no longer register early for something that they wouldn't be able to do for another two years anyway. Am I misunderstanding? Is there more to this that I am not aware of?

It doesn't effect the 16 year olds as much as the 17 year olds in terms of actual disenfranchisement. As I understand it, some states require you to register by X date which is months before an election. If your birthday falls after that date but before the election you can't vote. Its also supposed to help encourage youth voting because after high school some young adults may not bother to register if they have to put in work to figure out where/how/etc. These youth registrations take place in some schools, I remember there being a table right outside my cafeteria, next to the military/national guard table.

I don't think there is any need to tear down Madison just because she hasn't experienced the horrors of girls like Malala. Obviously they are growing up in very different environments and face very different challenges. If I am not mistaken, via this comparison the OP is pointing out that young girls are starting to become visible on the national and international stage regarding social issues, and that's a very good thing.

I also saw Madison on Melissa Harris-Perry a month or so ago. I think Madison's mannerisms are those of a girl who is highly intelligent and mature beyond her peers and probably interacts and feels more comfortable with adults, plus she probably feels extra pressure to behave a certain way in interviews and the like. There's no doubt that she's very impressive in her own right.

I don't think there is any need to tear down Madison just because she hasn't experienced the horrors of girls like Malala. Obviously they are growing up in very different environments and face very different challenges. If I am not mistaken, via this comparison the OP is pointing out that young girls are starting to become visible on the national and international stage regarding social issues, and that's a very good thing.

I also saw Madison on Melissa Harris-Perry a month or so ago. I think Madison's mannerisms are those of a girl who is highly intelligent and mature beyond her peers and probably interacts and feels more comfortable with adults, plus she probably feels extra pressure to behave a certain way in interviews and the like. There's no doubt that she's very impressive in her own right.

Thank you so much for this. You articulated exactly what I wanted to say in defending my initial post of Madison. I like and admire both girls. However, both of them spent their younger years in vastly different worlds. Malala grew up under so much repression. Madison, obviously grew up in a more progressive environment. Both are bright and articulate, and have so much to contribute to society. We often give young girls a short shrift. We think they can only speak in text messages, want to spend all of their time at the mall, and are obsessed with Justin Bieber. But young girls, many of them much like Malala and Madison, have so much to offer and are concerned about issues beyond their tender years.

Archived