IGNORED

Kendall

rmac3

Did anyone see the latest Kendall post, she sent her six year old daughter off the YMCA day camp it was of course a complete fiasco. Thankfully she was not turned away from Jesus by the YMCA and made it home safe, although barley.

Ugh, that really got under my skin. Her whole post reads, "See look, I'm such a good mommy. Everything I do is right, you all are wrong! See this proves it, my kids should never be away from me!!" Here is the deal, this is the first time here 6 1/2 year old was away from her all day. Chances were better than not the kid was not going to adjust well. A good number of kids have a problem adjusting the first time they are away from home all day, I did. Her kid probably would have cried the second day, third, hell even for the whole first week. But you know what, after she got used to it, she may have come to like it and be excited to go. But noooo, she cried the first day and hence Kendall is right and the rest of the world is wrong!!

I also believe that Kendall is wrong, he kids do have an unnatural attachment to her. I was pretty isolated until I went to school, we lived in the country and I had a hard time adjusting to being away at first, but I got over and learn to like being away from home, though there was anxiety for quite some time. I really fear for these 2nd generation fundies, I think most are going to be completely unable to cope in teh ebil real world. Look at the Maxwells, the all live on the same damn road.

Did anyone see the latest Kendall post, she sent her six year old daughter off the YMCA day camp it was of course a complete fiasco. Thankfully she was not turned away from Jesus by the YMCA and made it home safe, although barley.

For just one day!!

It is pathetic isn't it? An entire column whining about it before she even went.

What these (fundies) people do to their children is really disturbing.

For just one day!!

It is pathetic isn't it? An entire column whining about it before she even went.

What these (fundies) people do to their children is really disturbing.

It is disturbing. There is nothing at all natural about deliberately isolating your kids, and only allowing them to see family members unless the parents decide to visit another family.

I'm not going to say that a six year old kid *should* have had a day away from their parents, but really? 6 years old and she'd never been away from her mother? I can understand the reaction at 3 or 4, maybe 5 upon entering kindergarten, but 6? really? That just seems oddly late to me.

Kendall is an idiot for assuming that because her isolated snowflake cries when she's away, it means she should never be away. WTF? Seriously? My mom has told me over and over how much it sucks to have me be away, and how it's always sucked and she hates to see me cry, I imagine any mother would react the same way- but this is ridiculous. How is that girl going to handle being away from home when she's older?

There should be a law against this sort of isolation. It's one thing when the child is too ill to leave home, or lives miles away from the nearest neighbor- but fundies do it deliberately to brainwash them. That's what cults do, is isolate people to prevent them from realizing oh hey, there is indeed something different... Isolating a kid up until she's 6 years old and then pulling her back in when she's finally not with family is deliberate. Kendall et. al. don't want their kids to be productive members of society, they want them to remain children in some way forever...

I read the whole YMCA saga last night and was going to post it, but I thought maybe I was just overreacting because I can't stand Kedall. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought her kid's breakdown (and the whole friggin' family crying over it!) was a little much. I still kind of feel for the kid though. I mean, who knows what she's heard Kendall say about the evil outside world, then she gets dropped off at the "worldly" Y? Poor kid thought she was going to be sacrificed and eaten!

Iam not a big fan of Kendall neither, but I was positively surprised when I saw that somebody commented to her post with useful tips about kids and beeing away from home for the first time and she appreciated it more or less and it seemed as if she might try some of the advices.. it's quite unusual for her because normally she is super-mommy!

I was so sad for her (the daughter) when I read that. I almost posted an encouragement on her post leading up to it, where she was talking about preparing to send her to camp for the day and how it was just to let her be a kid & have fun instead of trying to pressure here to "share Jesus" will all of the other kids, and I was really hoping she would have a good time.

Hopefully, she'll let her try it again for a shorter time period. I think a lot of kids freak out there first time in new situations. I remember calling my mom crying & begging to come home the first sleepover/party I went to in about 2nd grade. By the time she got there, things were good again and I wanted to stay, but it's easy to get overwhelmed by new people and experiences as a child, especially when you're used to being isolated and having mam around 24/7.

Am I the only one who thinks Kendall set the kid up to fail? I think she wanted this to happen so she could justify her whole kooky lifestyle.

Am I the only one who thinks Kendall set the kid up to fail? I think she wanted this to happen so she could justify her whole kooky lifestyle.

No you are not the only one, I think you are right.

No you are not the only one, I think you are right.

+1 That was also the first thing I thought when I read post.

"It's so common in our world for parents to get upset when our young children don't want to be apart from us."

So am I way off base to think that this is complete bullshit? I don't think I have ever known a parent who wanted their children to want to be away from them. I mean, parents obviously want their children to be able to function away from them in school all day or even when they go away for longer periods of time. But I don't think most parents jump for joy if their children enjoy being away from them. Even when a child is, say, off at sleepaway camp the child may be having fun and that might make the parent happy, but I don't think any parent would be happy if they thought their child didn't miss them at all. A parent may not want their child to spend all day crying because they're in day care or away at school, but that doesn't mean they want their child to be like "Yay, I'm away from my parents, this is so awesome because I don't like spending time with my parents."

Or am I wrong?

Wait is was just DAY CAMP, like she would be picked up at 5pm??

This is too much, that child is doomed!

M.

"It's so common in our world for parents to get upset when our young children don't want to be apart from us."

So am I way off base to think that this is complete bullshit? I don't think I have ever known a parent who wanted their children to want to be away from them. I mean, parents obviously want their children to be able to function away from them in school all day or even when they go away for longer periods of time. But I don't think most parents jump for joy if their children enjoy being away from them. Even when a child is, say, off at sleepaway camp the child may be having fun and that might make the parent happy, but I don't think any parent would be happy if they thought their child didn't miss them at all. A parent may not want their child to spend all day crying because they're in day care or away at school, but that doesn't mean they want their child to be like "Yay, I'm away from my parents, this is so awesome because I don't like spending time with my parents."

Or am I wrong?

One of my sons went on a school trip for about 5 days. I think he was about 8 or 9. After two days we got a postcard from him on which he had written:

'It is a very nice here and I dont miss you at all!

It really cracked us up :lol: :lol:

+1 That was also the first thing I thought when I read post.

+2 - 'cause I'm a joiner.

Kendal will probably point back to this incident every time her kid wants to do something away from family.

One of my sons went on a school trip for about 5 days. I think he was about 8 or 9. After two days we got a postcard from him on which he had written:

'It is a very nice here and I dont miss you at all!

It really cracked us up :lol: :lol:

My kid goes to grandmas for a few weeks over the summer. She wants nothing to do with us when she is there.

I find it funny

Or am I wrong?

I don't know that you're wrong, but I loved my folks and I also very much loved to go away to camp or on other trips when I was a kid (between 8-13 or so) and didn't miss home while I away. I was never homesick, and it had nothing to do with my homelife or my folks - of course, I loved them and they loved me. But I was a fairly unflappable child and maybe I just don't have a "homesick gene".

Our own sons are the same way. We are a very close family and I have no doubt that they love us very much. But they happily went off on church trips or school trips. This never hurt my feelings at all, and I was just glad they felt secure enough to be away and not be plagued with homesickness and so able to take advantage of all the offerings of the trip. Maybe they just don't have the "homesick gene", either - lol.

They also never seemed to suffer "separation anxiety" when they were little, although, admittedly, I didn't leave them with anyone other than their father since I was a SAHM.

I don't necessarily think there's a correlation between the quality of the relationship between the parent and child and how the child behaves when forced to separate or otherwise be away from the parents. I think lousy parents can have kids who don't ever want to be separated from them, and the converse is true as well.

I don't know that you're wrong, but I loved my folks and I also very much loved to go away to camp or on other trips when I was a kid (between 8-13 or so) and didn't miss home while I away. I was never homesick, and it had nothing to do with my homelife or my folks - of course, I loved them and they loved me. But I was a fairly unflappable child and maybe I just don't have a "homesick gene".

Our own sons are the same way. We are a very close family and I have no doubt that they love us very much. But they happily went off on church trips or school trips. This never hurt my feelings at all, and I was just glad they felt secure enough to be away and not be plagued with homesickness and so able to take advantage of all the offerings of the trip. Maybe they just don't have the "homesick gene", either - lol.

They also never seemed to suffer "separation anxiety" when they were little, although, admittedly, I didn't leave them with anyone other than their father since I was a SAHM.

I don't necessarily think there's a correlation between the quality of the relationship between the parent and child and how the child behaves when forced to separate or otherwise be away from the parents. I think lousy parents can have kids who don't ever want to be separated from them, and the converse is true as well.

Yeah, I mean, I was (except for the first year I went away for camp, which was for a month when I was nine and 100% my choice and not something my parents forced on me at all) never really homesick when I went away to camp or whatever. So I definitely understand that feeling. But there was something about her phrasing that made it seem like parents absolutely rejoice for their children to be away from them and not miss them. I mean, you can be amused when your children say they don't miss you at all and that's what thing and perfectly legitimate, but what she is saying (if I'm understanding her correctly) is that parents would be upset if their children didn't feel like that and if their child did miss them. Which just seems crazy.

There's a difference between enjoying time spent away from your family and not liking spending time with your family, though.

When it's time for my daughter to go visit my parents, I might as well not exist. She's ALL about Mimi and Papa at that point. She's excited to see me when she gets home, and at the end of the trip, she'll say she misses me, but she doesn't get real homesick.

By the same token, I enjoy the peace and quiet when she's off visiting them, sleeping in, doing non-kid-friendly things, but by the end of the time, I always realize the house is too quiet.

I agree Kendall probably set the kid up for failure, or lingered too long. In those cases, it seems like the best thing to do is give them a hug and kiss, tell them you'll pick them up, and flee.

I agree Kendall probably set the kid up for failure, or lingered too long. In those cases, it seems like the best thing to do is give them a hug and kiss, tell them you'll pick them up, and flee.

Well here is your proof, how about it, the drama whining over 1 day!!

thefatherknowsbest.com/2011/08/shes-leaving-me.html#comments

I read both of the postings about the little girl going off the Y day camp and in the second posting, I cringed when Kendall said she told her daughter to be a light and teach others about Jesus.

Archived