IGNORED

Not mature enough for an abortion...but mature enough to be

SpeakNow

The state of Nebraska has a new law that all girls under age 17 need notarized, written parental consent in order to obtain an abortion. A girl in foster care went to the court to get permission to get an abortion. The Supreme Court of the state denies her request because she was not mature enough to make the decision...even though the girl said she felt she wasn't financially or emotionally ready to be a mother.

http://jezebel.com/court-rules-teen-not ... 1442269236

Jfc...

I really, and TRULY hope she got an abortion somewhere else. Her lawyer said there were options in other states.

And that judge was an absolute ass. "You'll kill the baby inside you, you know."He didn't give a shit about her maturity, only his agenda.

Ironic that she is not old enough to make a health decision for herself but deemed old enough to be a mother.

The judge is also a well know anti-choice advocate.

Damn, my home state has been hijacked by conservative krazees in the past 20 years. I worry about my sisters.

Yeah, 'cos leaving foster care is SO EASY, adding an infant won't be any trouble at all. It sounds like this young woman made a thoughtful decision. I hope she was able to go to another state and have the procedure.

My contempt for that judge is boundless.

And this is pro-life how? What am I saying that judge is just pro-fetus. He doesn't give a rat's ass about this teenage girl or her baby after it's born.

And this is pro-life how? What am I saying that judge is just pro-fetus. He doesn't give a rat's ass about this teenage girl or her baby after it's born.

Agee!

For many conservatives, they are very big on denying abortions "for the children". However, once that kid is popped out, they are first in line to cut welfare benefits because we would otherwise be rewarding a woman for bad behavior. Then said mom will put the baby substandard daycare and spend the rest of her life in a string of crappy jobs with no benefits.

Of course, we all know that there is only way fundies feel unwanted pregnancies should go....to loving (Christian) homes. I love adoptions but there's seem to be a woeful disregard for the women caught in the middle of the pregnancy. She's treated as a breeding mare, not a woman with rights to her body and future. In the OP's case, she's too immature to decide on an abortion, her future or what to do with her body, but she's mature enough to be single mother, to raise and provide for another human being. I guess we know how fundies prioritize parenthood.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating to a different state and I'm really fucking adamant about going to a state that has a (relatively) positive attitude towards abortions and women's reproductive rights-Surprisingly :roll: , the list is limited. He thinks I'm a little weird because of it, but I don't want to pay state taxes to pay for people who shill this sort of bullshit.

That 17 year old has a good head on her shoulders. People will say she should have just not gotten pregnant, but shit happens and she tried very hard to make the right choice for herself and that unborn child.

Also, if you believe that human's have souls (which most pro-lifers do), why does it matter if that soul is born or not? It's not like the fetus' soul gets flushed straight to hell after the abortion. I imagine it'll go back to hanging with god, no big deal.

And to take this argument to a crazy conclusion, isn't hanging out with god the ultimate goal of christianity anyway? So don't aborted fetuses get a good deal? No life outside the womb=no chance to sin=Automatic Heaven. Right!? right!? Though I guess the fetuses never accepted Jesus as their savior, so that might get tricky. (putting the crazy argument away now)

eta: crazy argument of nonsensicalness.

In your crazy argument of nonsensicalness--you forgot about original sin. I can't say much about it because it makes no sense to me, but apparently babies are born evil or something.

edited to remove angry comment about this judge's comment & my experience working with a pregnant minor in the foster care system. It made me too mad after I posted it, lol!

I think this girl was able to go out of state for an abortion. I read an article where the lawyer was asked if the girl was still pregnant and she declined to answer, then said something about there being other options. Sorry, I didn't keep the link. The hearing with the @%#$ "judge" was in July, I believe.

They don't want these young women to be mothers, they want them to be breeders for the adoption industry.

I don't think people realize how true this is.

Prolifes suggest adoption as if giving up your baby is just like donating old clothes. Adoption is emotionally devastating to the biological mother and that devastation lasts a lifetime. Study after study has shown that while having an abortion is emotionally neutral to the vast majority of women (the exceptions are women who have preexisting mental illnesses and women who were coerced to have an abortion), giving a child up for adoption has serious, negative, long term effects on emotional health in the vast majority of women.

Prolifers are so flippant about this, they lie about the very real dangers, because they want a breeder class. They want young, poor white women to provide white babies for rich white women. As it stands now, you just can't get a white baby in the US. You can get older white children, but nobody wants that, they want a baby. Babies from out of country are plentiful, but they're not Americans.

Prolifers desperately want a breeder class and they are doing everything to achieve it: making abortions increasingly difficult to get, making BC increasingly difficult to get, removing supports one by one for poor women and their children. If they continue to succeed, what choice will poor women have but to be the unwilling breeder class for the rich, the white and the Christian?

Prolifes suggest adoption as if giving up your baby is just like donating old clothes. Adoption is emotionally devastating to the biological mother and that devastation lasts a lifetime. Study after study has shown that while having an abortion is emotionally neutral to the vast majority of women (the exceptions are women who have preexisting mental illnesses and women who were coerced to have an abortion), giving a child up for adoption has serious, negative, long term effects on emotional health in the vast majority of women.

Prolifers are so flippant about this, they lie about the very real dangers, because they want a breeder class. They want young, poor white women to provide white babies for rich white women. As it stands now, you just can't get a white baby in the US. You can get older white children, but nobody wants that, they want a baby. Babies from out of country are plentiful, but they're not Americans.

Prolifers desperately want a breeder class and they are doing everything to achieve it: making abortions increasingly difficult to get, making BC increasingly difficult to get, removing supports one by one for poor women and their children. If they continue to succeed, what choice will poor women have but to be the unwilling breeder class for the rich, the white and the Christian?

This. Also note the effects on children as well. I feel that the entire adoption industry is geared towards finding children for better off white parents, as opposed to finding a good home for a child. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much money being thrown around.

I wonder if stupid shit like this is making women turn to "home remedies" like before. It's sad to think that we are going backwards. I hope this girl was able to exercise her right to choose.

A bit of good news seems to be in order after all this fucked-upness: California governor Jerry Brown today signed a measure that allows certified nurse-midwives, nurse practioners, and physician assistants to perform first-trimester abortions. Gov. Brown mentioned that women's constitutional right to abortion was compromised by the lack of providers.

:::shiver:::

A storyline like that would make quite a creepy novel, a la The Handmaid's Tale. Secret pro-lifer breeding farms...

Study after study has shown that while having an abortion is emotionally neutral to the vast majority of women (the exceptions are women who have preexisting mental illnesses and women who were coerced to have an abortion)

While I am pro choice, I respectfully disagree with this statement.

Edited cuz I messed up the quoting.

They don't want these young women to be mothers, they want them to be breeders for the adoption industry.

That is almost EXACTLY what I was about to post!

While I am pro choice, I respectfully disagree with this statement.

Edited cuz I messed up the quoting.

As in you can list a bunch of studies that say otherwise? Or as in you have anecdotal evidence that doesn't match up with it? Studies means overall population trends, but that doesn't mean every person's experience will be 100% statistically identical.

As in you can list a bunch of studies that say otherwise? Or as in you have anecdotal evidence that doesn't match up with it? Studies means overall population trends, but that doesn't mean every person's experience will be 100% statistically identical.

Well said, Patsy! I was going to ask Adrienne83 the reasons behind her position.

I'm sure the judge would have told her that she should kept her legs closed if she had the baby and she said that they were starving and she had 3 jobs was prostituting herself to the kid fed and clothed.

Archived