IGNORED

Not mature enough for an abortion...but mature enough to be

SpeakNow

Well said, Patsy! I was going to ask Adrienne83 the reasons behind her position.

Actually, I could. Studies are great and all, but unfortunately it's fairly easy to conduct a study and get the kind of result that the author would like. Or just publish the information that the author deems appropriate. I completely agree that not every person's experience will be 100% statistically identical.

When you say vast majority, what percent do you mean?

Actually, I could. Studies are great and all, but unfortunately it's fairly easy to conduct a study and get the kind of result that the author would like. Or just publish the information that the author deems appropriate. I completely agree that not every person's experience will be 100% statistically identical.

When you say vast majority, what percent do you mean?

Thanks for answering, and I'm sorry for assuming you were disagreeing because you thought anecdata contradicted whole studies - I don't "know" you yet from your posts, and from your reply I think you'd also be familiar with people presenting that (the disagreeing because anecdata) as their rebuttal. It's also something seen here ('cause FJ is a somewhat representative sample of wider society, including its cognitive biases ;) ;)) which is why I sort of preemptively explained why I didn't think it worked as a rebuttal.

Anyways, on your question, I'm not sure what the percentages are in rward's studies, or the subject selection methodology, so no idea how they actually stand up.

Thanks for answering, and I'm sorry for assuming you were disagreeing because you thought anecdata contradicted whole studies - I don't "know" you yet from your posts, and from your reply I think you'd also be familiar with people presenting that (the disagreeing because anecdata) as their rebuttal. It's also something seen here ('cause FJ is a somewhat representative sample of wider society, including its cognitive biases ;) ;)) which is why I sort of preemptively explained why I didn't think it worked as a rebuttal.

Anyways, on your question, I'm not sure what the percentages are in rward's studies, or the subject selection methodology, so no idea how they actually stand up.

It's cool. I'm usually just an observer, lol. :)

I think what got me was the term vast majority. It reminded me of this one study I remember, where an anti abortion group "proved" that abortions cause cancer. The article was all shouting it from the roof tops, but it didn't really advertise the flyer/hand out where it was looking for such individuals. Technically they were right, a vast majority of woman in their study that had an abortion got cancer, but they really stacked the deck on that, ya now?

And this is pro-life how? What am I saying that judge is just pro-fetus. He doesn't give a rat's ass about this teenage girl or her baby after it's born.

Pro-fetus is just the worst thing someone can be in that situation. It isn't giving someone life or saving a life, it's ruining two lives purposefully. Saving a life would be letting the girl take charge of her own body and make a decision regarding it.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating to a different state and I'm really fucking adamant about going to a state that has a (relatively) positive attitude towards abortions and women's reproductive rights-Surprisingly :roll: , the list is limited. He thinks I'm a little weird because of it, but I don't want to pay state taxes to pay for people who shill this sort of bullshit.

This makes perfect sense to me. We currently live in a state that has had gay marriage for years, but we are planning on moving in the next year. Thankfully the state we intend to move to legalized it recently too. I did not intent to raise my two children any place that would deny them the right to be married, if they happen to be gay. I think laws regarding peoples rights are very important to consider when choosing a home state.

My boyfriend and I are thinking of relocating to a different state and I'm really fucking adamant about going to a state that has a (relatively) positive attitude towards abortions and women's reproductive rights-Surprisingly :roll: , the list is limited. He thinks I'm a little weird because of it, but I don't want to pay state taxes to pay for people who shill this sort of bullshit.

That 17 year old has a good head on her shoulders. People will say she should have just not gotten pregnant, but shit happens and she tried very hard to make the right choice for herself and that unborn child.

Also, if you believe that human's have souls (which most pro-lifers do), why does it matter if that soul is born or not? It's not like the fetus' soul gets flushed straight to hell after the abortion. I imagine it'll go back to hanging with god, no big deal.

And to take this argument to a crazy conclusion, isn't hanging out with god the ultimate goal of christianity anyway? So don't aborted fetuses get a good deal? No life outside the womb=no chance to sin=Automatic Heaven. Right!? right!? Though I guess the fetuses never accepted Jesus as their savior, so that might get tricky. (putting the crazy argument away now)

eta: crazy argument of nonsensicalness.

Nothing is ever about "a soul hanging with Jesus/god/whatever".

It is all about a big bunch of highly fearful and insecure people envying those of us that are self-confident and making their own decisions about themselves. Said crowd has an impressive need to control others in order to feel like they have some say and power.

Unfortunately, they exert their need to control on people who are in a less fortunate position than themselves.They feel like judging others and limiting the scope in which the more confident people among us can make their decisions equals out the feeling of insecurity and makes them morally superior. Sadly, lots and lots of the pro-life crowd are not the least bit pro LIFE but rather pro I-get-a-kick-out-of-saying-what-you-can-and-can't-do. A great deal of them being men who feel emasculated because womenncan decide for themselves and lead a sexually healthy and satisfied life, or women who wish they could do just so. I have never seen a group of people hating people of their own sex ,uh sorry, gender as much as fundie women hate other women.

There are only few who truly are pro-life with anything that entails but these people are rarely ever found to be fundies.

Archived