IGNORED

Walmart to offer same-sex domestic benefits

alchemy

usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/08/27/walmart-same-sex-domestic-partner-benefits/2710675/

Walmart told employees Monday that it would extend its health and other benefits to "domestic partners" of employees, including partners of the same sex.

I am itching to know what Josh thinks of this.

Josh will have to stop watching Bambi, shopping at Target, drinking Coca-Cola, pepsi, watching mainstream films, using Google, not go to Maryland, Hawaii, Michigan, Massachusetts New York, California and Rhode Island. Plus he has to support polygamous (sp?) marriages, not wear mixed clothing and not eat shrimp. It's gonna be very hard for Josh to be a non-hypocritical fundamentalist Christian. Oh, and he can't support Romney or Santorum.

The trucking company they contract to do their shipping has offered same-sex benefits for a long time. A friend of mine and his partner had coverage through that years ago. I shared that with some Walmart loving fundies at the time and they were not happy. It was pretty funny. :twisted:

Walmart offers benefits? Since when?

Yeah, that is kind of a factor. Sooo many of walmart's employees are not eligible for benefits anyway, much less their spouse or partner.

That being said, it is nice to see walmart stepping up to offer the things that most large companies offer, even though they don't have to.

Josh will have to stop watching Bambi, shopping at Target, drinking Coca-Cola, pepsi, watching mainstream films, using Google, not go to Maryland, Hawaii, Michigan, Massachusetts New York, California and Rhode Island. Plus he has to support polygamous (sp?) marriages, not wear mixed clothing and not eat shrimp. It's gonna be very hard for Josh to be a non-hypocritical fundamentalist Christian. Oh, and he can't support Romney or Santorum.

Add to that list that they should cancel their trip to Iowa this weekend and they should not travel by plane everywhere.

Won't effect fundies at all. They're in-name-only supporters.

It also will barely be a blip to Wal-Mart, seeing as they keep most of their employees ineligible for bennies.

Add to that list that they should cancel their trip to Iowa this weekend and they should not travel by plane everywhere.

In addition to Iowa, you need to add Vermont, Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Washington state and 6 counties in New Mexico. Michigan, unfortunately, does not yet have marriage equality. Vermont, btw, led the way introducing civil unions in 2000 and passing a marriage equality law in 2009.

B-b-but how will the Duggars use their "missionary trips book signings to convert heathens" to become attention whores?

They should have thought of that before Rockwell Collins (aviation technology company that has parts in practically every airplane) started offering benefits to same-sex domestic partners.

They should have thought of that before Rockwell Collins (aviation technology company that has parts in practically every airplane) started offering benefits to same-sex domestic partners.

Thought of? They don't need to think! God can handle everything, doncha know? * unless it's popular mainstream companies supporting BGLT marriage *

Thought of? They don't need to think! God can handle everything, doncha know? * unless it's popular mainstream companies supporting BGLT marriage *

I read this too quickly at first and thought it said BLT marriage. It reminded me of the time I found a Romaine Bacon in the phone book and wanted to set her up with a Ms. or Mr. Tomato so that she could be named after the sandwich.

Walmart offers benefits? Since when?

Walmart used to start people out at full-time with benefits after ninety days. I was one of them, in 1999. Many of them are still around, especially in small towns where there really isn't much else. I started in a town like that. It's only fairly recently that WM started screwing its employees.

I'm happy for GLBTQ WM associates that their partners can get benefits now.

Walmart used to start people out at full-time with benefits after ninety days. I was one of them, in 1999. Many of them are still around, especially in small towns where there really isn't much else. I started in a town like that. It's only fairly recently that WM started screwing its employees.

I'm happy for GLBTQ WM associates that their partners can get benefits now.

Walmart actually pays better than most similar jobs around here. Starting part-time sales floor and cashier positions pay $8/hr where minimum wage is $7.25 and that's what most similar jobs pay. Full time employees do get benefits. WM has had some issues overall, but it's not that bad of a place for employees compared to many other stores.

Joshie boy will probably pissed like others mentioned and I expect others in Arkansas to be mad about this. Didn't Josh and Anna go to Disney World last year? There are people who boycott Disney because they offer benefits to same sex partners. But some fundies like Ashley Lancaster still do their Disney trips every year or so.

Walmart actually pays better than most similar jobs around here. Starting part-time sales floor and cashier positions pay $8/hr where minimum wage is $7.25 and that's what most similar jobs pay. Full time employees do get benefits. WM has had some issues overall, but it's not that bad of a place for employees compared to many other stores.

It's currently (as of September 2012, when I started there) benefits at six months for full-time, one year for part-time (I bailed before I qualified, so no idea on the pricing/reasonableness of the plans). IIRC, you can't start earning sick days/paid time off until then either, but don't quote me on that part.

Archived