IGNORED

College president calls minority "dark ones"

RosyDaisy

From Huffington Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/01/larry-arnn-dark-ones-hillsdale_n_3691839.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

A Michigan college issued an apology after its president made racially offensive remarks Wednesday afternoon.

because of what he said:

While testifying against the Common Core, which have been adopted in more than 40 states in an effort to standardize education, Arnn said he took issue with the idea of government interfering with educational institutions and went on to describe a letter he had received from the Department of Education shortly after becoming president at Hillsdale. The letter, he told the committee, said his college "violated the standards for diversity because we didn't have enough dark ones, I guess, is what they meant."

According to Michigan-focused news site MLive, lawmakers at the meeting immediately criticized Arnn for using “offensive†language, but he did not apologize. Instead, Arnn went on to say: “The State of Michigan sent a group of people down to my campus, with clipboards ... to look at the colors of people’s faces and write down what they saw. We don’t keep records of that information. What were they looking for besides dark ones?.

It doesn't matter whether Hillsdale College receives government funds or not. The statement and/or he is denying or limiting minorities from enrolling, he's a racist POS!

My fundie nephew went there after being homeschooled and broke out of his "special son" shell and partied so hard he flunked out. He was the apple of his dad's eye and Dad was not amused.

I've heard good and bad about Hillsdale but the president needs to resign and get some counseling me thinks.

A post about my town. I live down the road from the college and they want people to think they are a dry campus. Tell that to the Frat House of the Red Solo Cup that is down a few houses down from me. Before school got out, they were partying hard and letting off fireworks that sounded like gun fire at 2 am.

People are either shocked by what was said (and how it makes our town look) or don't see anything wrong with what he said. My mom told me that the minorities do have dark skin so what's the big deal. A facebook friend (who is married and has minority children) said that the president has a good heart and that he didn't mean anything by the comment.

Those that are insulted have no connection to the college and those that think it was an innocent comment are either connected to the college or think the college is the best thing since sliced bread. While I love the small town of Hillsdale, I so dislike the political and crazy religious beliefs.

Really what century do we live in? What a hick! And very unprofessional to say the least...Hillsdale needs to get that man out STAT. I wouldn't want a child of mine to go to a place holding up him as an example to the student body. The professional world doesn't refer to minorities as "dark ones."

They need to lose any government funding and any ability to accept federally subsidized loans as long as this man is president

My fundie nephew went there after being homeschooled and broke out of his "special son" shell and partied so hard he flunked out. He was the apple of his dad's eye and Dad was not amused.

I've heard good and bad about Hillsdale but the president needs to resign and get some counseling me thinks.

I believe Dr. Laura's special snowflake, Deryk, went there and flunked out from too much partying. To save face, he joined the military because he's so damn patriotic, not because he couldn't destroy his mother's cred.

On-topic: This college president has no business in a power position anywhere-college, corporation, etc.

They need to lose any government funding and any ability to accept federally subsidized loans as long as this man is president

They already don't take government funding. Neither does Patrick Henry College, which has a similar flavor of crazy.

Bumping this thread up to share the latest....

The smearing of Hillsdale's president

Highlight.... "So at a public hearing on Common Core state standards and on front pages last week, Democrats and their media stooges tried to smear Hillsdale’s reputation by framing its president as a bigot. I’m not making this up."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2bCuYr4JG

A post about my town. I live down the road from the college and they want people to think they are a dry campus. Tell that to the Frat House of the Red Solo Cup that is down a few houses down from me. Before school got out, they were partying hard and letting off fireworks that sounded like gun fire at 2 am.

my family lived in hillsdale county for some time and my mom was a nurse at the hospital. she says every weekend college students would come in with alcohol poisoning (as well as younger, high school-aged kids, but i suppose that's another story). dry campus my arse. this was in the 80s, but it appears little has changed!

And of course there's the prior president having a long term affair with his daughter-in-law.

Who "killed herself" on the college campus.

my family lived in hillsdale county for some time and my mom was a nurse at the hospital. she says every weekend college students would come in with alcohol poisoning (as well as younger, high school-aged kids, but i suppose that's another story). dry campus my arse. this was in the 80s, but it appears little has changed!

I've noticed that it's kids from some of the most conservative communities who are the biggest druggies, drunks and party hounds out there. I think their parents are too busy accusing fingers at the kids from the hood or from more liberal families to lake a more critical look at their own spawn.

I've noticed that it's kids from some of the most conservative communities who are the biggest druggies, drunks and party hounds out there. I think their parents are too busy accusing fingers at the kids from the hood or from more liberal families to lake a more critical look at their own spawn.

Many of those kids have been micromanaged and sheltered their entire lives; they've never had the opportunity to practice making any decisions for themselves and so they are very bad at it. The first thing they do when they get out from under Mommy and Daddy's bubble wrap is to go crazy. I think that's why some of the craziest homeschoolers are now homeschooling college too. They can't take the risk that their special snowflakes might make a wrong choice.

On another topic, one of my ancestors was president of Hillsdale College when it was just another sleepy little American Baptist liberal arts college. It's a terrible thing, what the fundies/right wingers did to Hillsdale when they took it over in the 1970s.

Although I'm not surprised at this bigotry from the president, considering the recent history and mission of Hillsdale College, it is absolutely true that when federally-funded institutions don't report demographic information, the DOE does visual sampling. Hillsdale used to not accept federal funding at all so that it wouldn't be subject to DOE regulation; sounds like they want to eat their cake and have it too these days.

In addition, the people responsible for reporting demographic information from colleges and universities are (or were, when I worked in college administration, which was 10+ years ago) required to estimate the demographics of those students who chose not to share gender or racial and ethnic identification on their enrollment forms. Which seriously ended up in the grossness of people asking questions like "Do you think Juan Ramos is 'black, Hispanic' or 'white, Hispanic'?" and "Is this Susan Lee in the business program white or Asian?"

Obviously this stuff is important to track at an institutional level, but there must be better ways of doing it than relying either on strangers' visual impressions or the anecdata of random university staffers.

Archived