IGNORED

Come on down! Have a chance at winning a BABY!

bekkah

Oh pakistan, Not breaking the link.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/29/world/asia/pakistan-baby-giveaway/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

I just cannot believe that this would happen, give a baby away as a prize. I thought it interesting that there is no adoption law so no regulation in Pakistan. I just want to know what really is going to happen to these babies. I just feel that this is so wrong on so many levels.

I'd be pissed if I went on a game show and came away with a BABY as a prize. I mean, seriously. Prizes are meant to be fun, not noisy, smelly, needy, noisy babies :P (If I were a fundie I'd ban babies. I don't like them, so no one can have them!)

That said, I'm more concerned about the babies. They say the parents are being vetted, but what does that entail? And being given a baby is such a huge responsibility and life change, even if you want children (or are open to them) you're not going to get off to a great start. I hope this turns out OK for these babies.

Ummmm....

..I'm all for getting good homes for abandoned babies, but seriously, deciding who gets to keep a child forever by a game???

Ummmm....

..I'm all for getting good homes for abandoned babies, but seriously, deciding who gets to keep a child forever by a game???

And yet...I would go on the game show if I could. Infertility SUCKS. :angry-banghead:

Do you want to bet that some fundies would go to Pakistan in a heartbeat so they could get another baby to add to their collection?

Ummmm....

I think it's for getting good ratings and suspect the winners, if they don't like the prize, can abandon it.

I was disappointed when this thread did not contain the "let's have a baby for the good of Singapore" song, so I am going to have to fix that.

8jxU89x78ac

(Context: Singapore has a really low birth rate, so Mentos - yes, the candy company - took it upon themselves to commission this song encouraging couples to have sex on the upcoming national holiday. Probably NSFW viral video wonderment ensued.)

i watched the video in this post and if i understood correctly(may i be wrong since my english skills are limited) it was not a contest, the parents were already entrevisted for "adoption" with the asociation that had this baby. So it was more about having a emotional story on the show, than about winning a baby. And about the adoption not being regulated, its the same in morocco and there childs can not be adopted but they have the kafala that is more like a child placement, it might be a muslim thing. The fundies cant just go for a baby for their collection to this countries, since at least in morocco now they require that the parents are muslisms, and i bet there are similar laws in most muslim countries, actually there are some spanish families who where already placed some childs and now they cant go out of morocco with their childs because of the new law.

Please don't think it's just the Pakistanis--Americans also don't mind winning babies as prizes:

"I just wanted to tell you that in Idaho they have what is called a safe haven list with the state… this list is for abandoned babies at hospitals and other places, etc. I meat a couple that adopted that way from Idaho. They say it is a lottery, you get on the list and then they randomly pick families. Just wanted to let you know as you never know and it is free." - See more at: adoptivefamiliescircle.com/groups/topic/Has_anyone_been_matched_as_a_result_of_this_group/#sthash.xsYkpDis.dpuf

Idaho is one of 47 out of 50 states that have "Safe Haven" laws, also called "Baby Moses" laws, that allow birth mothers to give up babies: http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/M ... fault.aspx

However, they do not give the babies away afterwards in a lottery. That is absolute bullshit.

I'm sure you're right--I should have thought a bit before taking that at face value. My bad for being so gullible.

i watched the video in this post and if i understood correctly(may i be wrong since my english skills are limited) it was not a contest, the parents were already entrevisted for "adoption" with the asociation that had this baby. So it was more about having a emotional story on the show, than about winning a baby. And about the adoption not being regulated, its the same in morocco and there childs can not be adopted but they have the kafala that is more like a child placement, it might be a muslim thing. The fundies cant just go for a baby for their collection to this countries, since at least in morocco now they require that the parents are muslisms, and i bet there are similar laws in most muslim countries, actually there are some spanish families who where already placed some childs and now they cant go out of morocco with their childs because of the new law.

Adoption is Islam is not like American adoption. The equivalent here would be more like long-term foster care--you can raise a child, educate a child, and love a child, but the child retains his or her own identity, name and ties to the natural family--there is no legal way to create a fictional "as born to" identity. Adopted children's rights of inheritance are attached to their natural, not their adoptive, families, and laws regarding male/female interaction, marriage, etc. are based on the child's relationship through the natural, and not the adoptive, family. It's a whole different approach. What that has to do with the contest in Pakistan--I have no idea.

And the babies who don't end up with caring adults are used as little suicide bombers. Unbelievable.

Archived